Phantom streets on the Glasgow A to Z?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alycidon » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:09 pm

Does Parliamentary road still exist at any point?
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:50 pm

Alycidon wrote:Does Parliamentary road still exist at any point?

Nope, not a solitary section. The section between the Buchanan St/Sauchiehall
St junction and the new section of North Hanover St was open until the mid-80's
IIRC. There was also the section at Castle St, right next to where the M8 passes
overhead (the retaining wall even had a 'Parliamentary Road' street sign on it)
which survived a while before biting the dust in the early/mid80's. It didn't pass
into St Mungo Avenue, but instead was trimmed and turned 90 degrees into
Kennedy St - this part would've been some old street as well, but off the top
of my head I don't know which. Possibly part of Glebe St?

James H
Last edited by james73 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Phantom Streets

Postby RabH » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:50 pm

Has part of Easterhouse Road been renamed Rod Elrick Lawson Terrace? Bit of a mouthful and who IS this Mr Lawson?

As far as I know, Parl'y Road has been reduced to a cul-de-sac near St.Mungo Avenue. Does anyone know when and why Cowcaddens Street was renamed Road?
RabH
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Phantom Streets

Postby james73 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:53 pm

RabH wrote:Does anyone know when and why Cowcaddens Street was renamed Road?

It was enlarged and re-aligned. Beyond that I dont know.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Phantom Streets

Postby Flyingscot » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:30 pm

RabH wrote:Has part of Easterhouse Road been renamed Rod Elrick Lawson Terrace? Bit of a mouthful and who IS this Mr Lawson?

As far as I know, Parl'y Road has been reduced to a cul-de-sac near St.Mungo Avenue. Does anyone know when and why Cowcaddens Street was renamed Road?

You'll probably find the Easterhouse one to be a mistake, these things are riddled with bugs, University Avenue was particularly bad at one point!!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:43 pm

There were loads of fake street names in it around the Halfway area of Cambuslang, I see some of these have gone now, but a few curios still exist, asides from the aforementioned Rhu Na Haven Road!

Newton Station Road appears to mysteriously become Boulzie Hill Place at one point. Where did these phantom names come from, I wonder??

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:26 pm

I doubt these are true phantom names in the way suggested at the start of the thread.

I don't know the structure, but it's cleare there are many thousands, or more likely millions, of segments to be integrated and cross-referenced, especially as these maps are also able to do routing. They're therefore bound to be full of databases, lookup tables etc. and at the end of the day, the data's entered by some some poor, tired, and eventually bored human operator, so I'd say they're more likely to be simple transcription errors regarding digits, rather than any great scheme.

Even though it's less intriguing :(
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:40 am

Historically a lot of Glasgow streets were named in sections, at some point these streets were renamed and renumbered as single streets, perhaps some of these anomollies arise from some of the previous names for sections of streets resurfacing.

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:47 pm

As for Straid Bheag, well, you can go work that one out yourself... I'm lost, and only round the corner

It's Gaelic. It means - literally - wee street. D'ya think somebody's having a laarf....?
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:03 pm

Armadillo wrote:It's Gaelic. It means - literally - wee street. D'ya think somebody's having a laarf....?

Well....

In Google (and Yahoo/map24), which both credit Navteq for their maps, Kenmuirhill Road appears as Oxford Road North, and Straid Bheag is really Kenmuirhill Gardens, which only appeared a few years ago when the Nissan dealer that occupied the site sold up and a developer moved in.

Might be worth noting that Maporama succeeds in getting these street names right.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby anok » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:24 pm

RAB H ; parly road does not exist in any way shape or form anywhere in the townhead area, the only bit that could be left over is the pedestian path that goes directly through the middle and ends at Mcaslin court (at the 5 a side pitches) not quite parly road but near as damn it
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:16 pm

I can confirm that... nothing is left of parly road... NOTHING!
The only eveidence of its path is the lie of the houses along the path anok has mentioned... and here is a picture

I have done extensive research on this street....
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:39 pm

on mulitmap and google etc they change a lot of the names in hamilton, from union street to bakland!! no idea where they came from because the names are correct on old maps but on new ones the names are wrong?? :? :?
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:16 pm

Strange thing is, that looks like one of the scenes from the planners original drawings of the redevelopment, weird 8O ::): That bit of the city centre annoys me. Its not nearly dense enough with buildings, theres too much open area. The high rises should have been built with maybe 10 floor tall buildings alongside, more what there is built at Cowcaddens. I suppose its not too late for a second redevelopment to get rid of the annoying wee blocks, that totally do not suit the high rises they are build with :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:53 am

They should never have built them in the first place.... there was no reason to knock Townhead down... I know they wanted to clear the slums, but the tenement blocks would outlast anything!
The one I'm in now has outlived everything else including the shanty town style post-war buildings lying empty round the corner
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects