Phantom streets on the Glasgow A to Z?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Phantom streets on the Glasgow A to Z?

Postby Seamey » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:23 am

Last night's mapman programme on BBC2 had the people who make London's A to Z admitting the existence of phantom streets in the maps. These streets disn't exist in real life, but existed on the map and the reason for them existing was to prove copyright theft. These streets also didn't matter much being small cul de sacs. Anyway are there any in the Glasgow A to Z?
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:41 am

Google maps and mapquest have given some streets different names, have a look at Great Western Rd on both of these. There are some others in and around Knightswood that have been renamed by these sites.

Does anyone know of any more of these 'renamed' streets
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:05 am

I've noticed quite a few of these odd names, as I tend to use the online maps for convenience, rather than fire up the PC that has my GPS digital mapping.

Have to admit I largely ignored them before seeing this note, and assumed they were just foul ups on the part of the makers, as there is a huge amount of data to be collated, and the chances of getting the odd street name tagged to the wrong location is pretty high, even if only a tiny percentage of the total is at fault.

I've seen these slips in Glasgow, and Argyll & Bute areas.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:11 am

AlanM wrote:Google maps and mapquest have given some streets different names, have a look at Great Western Rd on both of these. There are some others in and around Knightswood that have been renamed by these sites.

I have often wondered this myself with online maps.

Is it simply the case that the unusual names are the former incarnations of our current roadways? For example, the Clydeside Expressway is partly named Pointhouse Road. However, I have no idea why a significant chunk of Great Western Road is named Inverquhomery Road. Other odd names are dotted throughout the map.

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:12 pm

I also noticed the mis-naming of Great Western Road and emailed them to tell them of their mistake. I got an answer acknowledging my email and they were going to get it sorted. Is it still wrong? I guess it will take some time before the change filters down to all the sites.
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:58 pm

Multimap currently has some very oddly-named streets around the Glasgow
Cross area.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:54 pm

How about streets that are not on the map, but do exist! :?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:54 pm

Like mine! :( (Double posted and then edited - bugger! Using a bloody mouse for the first time in weeks!)
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:04 pm

Timchilli wrote:
AlanM wrote:Google maps and mapquest have given some streets different names, have a look at Great Western Rd on both of these. There are some others in and around Knightswood that have been renamed by these sites.

I have often wondered this myself with online maps.

Is it simply the case that the unusual names are the former incarnations of our current roadways? For example, the Clydeside Expressway is partly named Pointhouse Road. However, I have no idea why a significant chunk of Great Western Road is named Inverquhomery Road. Other odd names are dotted throughout the map.

Tim

Problem is there is only 2 map suppliers in the world for general electronic mapping IIRC. Navteq is one IIRC which supplies Tom Tom, Google and Medion, but I don't remember the other.

Glasgow Road is known as Jackson Street West in one of them. I'm not aware of any 'fake streets' but my Sat-Nav tells me to head straight down a street in Paisley (Storie Street) that doesn't exist, however I think this is accuracy as it did do it to 1995 or so.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Mighty R I D E » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:08 pm

...like givin the polis a fake address. Just tell them
aye on check on google officer
The Mighty R I D E
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:51 am

I've heard of Storie Street.... just can't remember where it is at the moment
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:10 pm

In Paisley. Used to connect High St. to George St. according my older map, but new map suggest University of Paisley building has trashed the High St. end and it is now called George St. The little bit left seems to change to Canal Terr. after it crosses George St.

I thought I'd seen one in Glasgow some time back, but can't find any refs.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:40 pm

Sort of..

The University now accomodates the George Street end of Storie Street albeit a car park not a building. The top part is still Storie Street, but now has a bend at the multi-story onto Witherspoon Street.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tango » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:50 pm

I'm not aware of any 'fake streets' but my Sat-Nav tells me to head straight down a street in Paisley (Storie Street) that doesn't exist, however I think this is accuracy as it did do it to 1995 or so.

Storie Street in Paisley still exists as shown here http://www.paisley.ac.uk/campuses/downloads/paisley_map.pdf . Think the continuation down to George Street was blocked off when the university built the new library building a few years ago. The street is home to the famous Alans chip shop which features on either (or maybe both) the best/worst chippy thread.
tango
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:54 pm

I knew there were some of these next to me, and this popped up when I was doing a local route, try this link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rhu+na+haven+road&hl=en

See what Hamilton Road turns into.

Also, zoom in to the small road linkng Rhu Na Haven Road and London Road. In reality, this is Kenmuirhill Road.

As for Straid Bheag, well, you can go work that one out yourself... I'm lost, and only round the corner :?
Last edited by Apollo on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects