Auld Glesga Trams & Buses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:26 pm

Anybody want tae buy a bus ? 8)

Glasgow's old buses put up for sale in internet auction

A 67-year-old vintage bus, powerful enough to pull a broken-down double-decker. And it's a snip at a little bit more than £1000
The buses on sale are the Cowieson, a 75-seat 1979 Leyland Atlantean in Glasgow Corporation livery, a traditional 1963 Red London Routemaster and a 1958 Glasgow Leyland Titan. Bids are currently running at £1100; £800; £3765 and £1001.

The auction closes in seven days.
http://www.firstgroupshop.com/auction/
FIRST bosses hope this 1938 Cowieson and three other vehicles find good homes
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5045137.html
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:33 am

Mori wrote:Anybody want tae buy a bus ? 8)

Glasgow's old buses put up for sale in internet auction

A 67-year-old vintage bus, powerful enough to pull a broken-down double-decker. And it's a snip at a little bit more than £1000
The buses on sale are the Cowieson, a 75-seat 1979 Leyland Atlantean in Glasgow Corporation livery, a traditional 1963 Red London Routemaster and a 1958 Glasgow Leyland Titan. Bids are currently running at £1100; £800; £3765 and £1001.

The auction closes in seven days.
http://www.firstgroupshop.com/auction/
FIRST bosses hope this 1938 Cowieson and three other vehicles find good homes
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5045137.html

8O 8O 8O They have four vehicles i'd give a body part for, the Regent, Damiler, Titan PD2, & Titan PD3, all are absolutely genuine GCT, and mint as well, (stuff the bloody Routemaster :twisted: that can go to the scrappy)
Donations please to.......

:(
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Missed PR opportunity.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:27 am

We already donate quite a bit of the public purse to First Group. It would have been a nice gesture if they had donated their inherited treasures to the people who paid for them in the first place.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Missed PR opportunity.

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:56 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:We already donate quite a bit of the public purse to First Group. It would have been a nice gesture if they had donated their inherited treasures to the people who paid for them in the first place.

Good point, considering the wealth that First Group generates as a multi billion £ company with interests in every corner of the globe it would be a rather small but welcome gesture just to donate one old secondhand bus for the Glasgow collection.

Haud on! are they not an Aberdeenshire based company? = tight arse's

The Andrew Carnegie in me want's to buy it and donate the bloddy thing myself. But I'm skint ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:59 am

ARE First a Scottish company or do they just have their HQ in Aberdeen? I notice how just about all of transport here bar air travel seems to be owned by them now, even SPT. Only a few local authority services remain... Is there not some kind of commision that deals with private monopolies :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:05 pm

Vladimir wrote:ARE First a Scottish company or do they just have their HQ in Aberdeen? I notice how just about all of transport here bar air travel seems to be owned by them now, even SPT. Only a few local authority services remain... Is there not some kind of commision that deals with private monopolies :roll:

They don't own the SPT. They currently hold the ScotRail franchise, which as National Express will testify, needs to be renewed periodically.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:22 pm

They don't own the SPT.

All the trains in Glasgow seem to say First on them :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:39 pm

Vladimir wrote:
They don't own the SPT.

All the trains in Glasgow seem to say First on them :?

First operate the trains within Scotland including the SPT area, but they don't own SPT, that's a public body.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:We already donate quite a bit of the public purse to First Group. It would have been a nice gesture if they had donated their inherited treasures to the people who paid for them in the first place.

The GCT buses being auctioned were not inherited by First, they came with the First City Tours business they bought.
Before that they were privately owned by a bloke called Michael Roulson, who owned & ran the tour on behalf of First.

I really hope these go to good homes :? There were moves afoot to persuade First to donate them to a charity, or museum, but they paid a fair bit for the business, so I guess they want some of that back :(
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 pm

Amazing how many big transport companies are Scottish actually, but First IIRC is only half-Scottish, I believe some it is was formed from the Badgerline group.

SPT is a public body completely seperate from First, and is funded by councils in the SPT area. It's future is however in doubt, due to political changes (it's the only Scottish PTE). There is also another less well known transport body called WESTRANS, which takes a bigger overview and includes road transport.

The trains in the SPT area are completely in SPT control but are run by First. SPT tells First the fares, service levels, and owns some trains.

Public transport is a mess in Glasgow. Far better if SPT were given the same powers as TfL (Transport for London) and could control roads, parking, buses, trains and everything related to transport in Strathclyde. Maybe then we'd see integrated transport, and not as it currently is- 2 buses an hour, one company 5 minutes ahead of the other!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Buses and Trams

Postby Socceroo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:21 am

Not too many Trams on this thread so far. Came across the above publicity leaflet advertising The Museum of Transport (circa 1965).

The leaflet was being used as a bookmark in an old Glasgow book that i bought second hand.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:45 pm

8O That was a lucky find!!
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Buses and Trams

Postby james73 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:36 pm

Socceroo wrote:Image

Not too many Trams on this thread so far. Came across the above publicity leaflet advertising The Museum of Transport (circa 1965).

The leaflet was being used as a bookmark in an old Glasgow book that i bought second hand.

Must be after 1965, as it shows St Enoch as a car park - the station didn't
close until June 1966.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby radar » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:14 pm

No mention on that leaflet of the M8 and Parliamentary Road seems intact so does that narrow the window to pre 1971? I remember the destruction at Charing X when they were building the road, just can't remember the year!
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

CENtral

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 am

When did the 041 telephone code sytem come in?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: CENtral

Postby AlanM » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:08 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:When did the 041 telephone code sytem come in?

1966, from BT's archive http://www.bt.com/archives/history/19601969.htm#1966
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects