Auld Glesga Trams & Buses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:23 pm

The Jolly Giant was the dog's whatsits, I loved that place. I remember seeing the actual (well, one of the dozens used during the show's run) 'Dukes of Hazzard' General Lee car in there :D

The whole site is a bloody car dealership now :roll:
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:25 pm

Vladimir wrote:I remember the Jolly Giant :D ::): Not him personally, but his shop :roll:
Anybody know where they were, I remember being taken to one across a lot of rail tracks, cant remember where it was?

Was there more than one ? The only store I remember was just off Crow Road opposite Jordanhill Station.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:26 pm

one over Rutherglen way near the peoples ford garage

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:40 pm

The only store I remember was just off Crow Road opposite Jordanhill Station.

Thats probably the one, I remember railtracks anyway. :)
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:50 pm

My brother still has this carrier bag, kept from 1986 :D

The text on the top right corner says,

"This bag is bright and gay
I hope you use it every day
But please remember it's not a toy
For play by little girl or boy
The Jolly Giant says
KEEP BAGS AWAY FROM INFANTS"
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:10 pm

It even has a poem, great :D
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:27 pm

I've got a "Farmoods" bag from 1990, containing the following-

1 x Omnidirectional microphone
1 x Boss Overdrive effects pedal
1 x 9v Adapter
2 x Guitar Leads from "Sound Control"

All C. 1990 ::):

Used for various gigs :twisted:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:26 pm

Yet another Glasgow advert bus, look at that tartan :D

Photo credit, Gavin Booth, from the book, 'Scottish Municipal Operators'.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:15 am

glasgowken wrote:
crazygray23 wrote:Below: Not really "advertising" I suppose, (unless you count the PTE). This bus was turned into an open topper after an accident, it was later used on the first PTE run city bus tours.

Have you got a location for this picture? it looks like Parlie road
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:08 pm

McShad wrote:
glasgowken wrote:
crazygray23 wrote:Below: Not really "advertising" I suppose, (unless you count the PTE). This bus was turned into an open topper after an accident, it was later used on the first PTE run city bus tours.

Have you got a location for this picture? it looks like Parlie road

It IS Parlie Road.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby russ » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:15 pm

Central COllege of Cmmerce in the background on the right.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:44 pm

glasgowken wrote:Image

I'm fairly certain that building in the background is John Paul Academy in Summerston. Used to go there...
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mustardman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:49 pm

Ok, here's going back....you know the Atlantean advertising for Maryhill shopping centre...well, when I was a lad, I remember identifying these buses(i.e. the model of LA, newer or older) with there big window display(you know, where it tells you what service it is). Well, 'the big window' L.A had tartan seats, which I preferred the most. Why you are asking? The L.A's with the smaller window(s) (it had a separate window for destination and another window for service number), had shity green imitation leather.

The tartan ones were always so much warmer, than the green ones. So if I was going home, and identified two buses say a 61 to sandyhills (tartan) and a 64 to carmyle( shity green leather), I would get the 61 instead.

Can anyone remember when the Volvo 'Citybus'(Identified as AH67 say) appeared in 1989/1990. They were so spick and span at the time. The suspension/air damping creaked alot...not in a bad way, but that newish type of sound to it. Also, the heaters were shit hot too....right at the back of the bus.

Yeah, and also there was AH1 or maybe 2 or 3. But it had been converted into a bus for wheelchairs. It also had advertising for Cannon Cinema at Parkhead Forge....grey in colour, and had movie stars of that time also on it....think I remember James Bond(a.ka. Timothy Dalton). Most of the lower deck, had fold away seats. You sat facing people, as opposed to straight ahead.

Another brain storm, there was an L.A circa 1986/87 which was a single decker.....it must have been in an accident. Pretty strange looking at the time.

I was very observant when I was wee
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:14 pm

The AH buses were the Ailsa Horizontal. Volvo engines, Ailsa made...
most of them had the same body except about 3 of them which had unique prototype bodies.

The Horizontal comes from the fact that the engine was in a horizontal postion under the bus instead of on the back. Gave more seating room but was a bugger to work with when it broke down.
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:52 pm

mustardman wrote:
Another brain storm, there was an L.A circa 1986/87 which was a single decker.....it must have been in an accident. Pretty strange looking at the time.

I was very observant when I was wee

:) The single decker Atlanteans, there were 8 of them, renumbered SA1-SA8. None had been involved in an accident, the PTE just cut them down to work various routes such as the inter station Queen St,- Central, instead of buying single deckers.
(Sorry about this duff photo)

mustardman wrote:Ok, here's going back....you know the Atlantean advertising for Maryhill shopping centre...well, when I was a lad, I remember identifying these buses(i.e. the model of LA, newer or older) with there big window display(you know, where it tells you what service it is). Well, 'the big window' L.A had tartan seats, which I preferred the most. Why you are asking? The L.A's with the smaller window(s) (it had a separate window for destination and another window for service number), had shity green imitation leather.

The tartan ones were always so much warmer, than the green ones. So if I was going home, and identified two buses say a 61 to sandyhills (tartan) and a 64 to carmyle( shity green leather), I would get the 61 instead.

I must admit I liked the green interior Atlanteans better, (numbers LA1-LA1350), some even had real leather seats, although I know what you mean about them being cold.
The moquette seats on the later buses (LA1351-LA1449) were introduced at a time when similar colours were being used on the then new Underground trains. It was warmer but could also hold stains & stink a lot better.

By the way, the 'big window' destination was introduced on the LA1351-LA1449 batch because the PTE hoped to also include 'via' information (as they do in London, and other places). But they couldn't get agreement from drivers (& unions) to do the extra work of changing the via destination at the terminus, so the space was never used :roll:
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects