Bombs over Glasgow in WW2

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bombs over Glasgow in WW2

Postby Roxburgh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:02 am

I think that Dugald's post highlights the difference between the morality of today and that of the time. Neither my mother nor my father ever shed any tears for either German or Japanese civilians. I think that when you live through a conflict, when you are cowering under the kitchen table listening to the whistle of the bombs, when your brothers, cousins, school friends, boyfriends, etc. go off to war and when many do not come back it colours opinions. I do not think the Germans felt any different.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MalcolmB » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:04 pm

Well from reading books I know that a bomb fell near Queen's park behind Baker Street. There is a tenement missing there and a modern smaller building in its place where it must've happened.

Closer to where I live 2 bombs supposidly fell. One in Thornliebank old cemetary, where the Maxwells are buried, which unearthed some graves and damaged a wall. Another fell just across the road near where a garage and bakers is now.

I don't know if it is true but as I said in some books I read researching other things.

Malcolm
MalcolmB
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bm47uk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:21 pm

My father remembers a few houses that tragically took direct hits in the Shettleston and Sandyhills area. Can only assume these were stray bombs meant for the Clyde iron works between Tollcross and Cambuslang.
Bm47uk
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby chechechihuahua » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:45 am

just got a link for this site ,thought you might find interesting
http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=1084&sea ... _fuzzy=yes
chechechihuahua
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby thebigyin » Sun May 10, 2009 5:56 pm

i used to own a house in carmyle avenue that had its entire gable end blown off by a bomb,(according to the next door neighbour) an old lady in her 90,s, incidentally when myself and a pal were working on the house we found a purpose built bomb shelter running under the whole bottom floor 8O ,was very well made with a staircase down to it with heating lighting etc,it was quite a find when what we were actually doing was lifting floorboards to access central heating pipes 8O
thebigyin
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Shrapnel damage to headstones in the old churchyard at Cardross:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stor ... 6943.shtml
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:20 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Shrapnel damage to headstones in the old churchyard at Cardross:

HH - great angle there - you can see the splash of the shrapnel across the stones. Glad I wasn't there at the time 8)
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Agreed: that's a beauty. Scary stuff, really.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby cell » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 pm

Great pics HH, have you any of the church ruins? I’ve always thought that that building bomb site must be the only remaining intact (sic) one in Scotland. Anyone know of any others?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby northparkboy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:19 pm

I have come very late to this site, however this might help socceroo et al. Regarding the bombing at Fergus Drive and Wilton Street, apart from the damage on the Queen Margaret Road side of Wilton Street, there was a large mansion style house between Fergus Drive and Wilton Street, whch was destroyed, and the vacant lot left there was our playground for all the years I lived inFergus Drive. To explain I was born in Northpark Nursing Home which was another mansion styled house that stood at the gushet of Wilton Drive and Kelvinside Gardens, in 1943. Our family lived in 162 Fergus Drive and took possession of this flat after the bomb blew out the windows of the tenement.
The main entrance to the bombed house in Fergus Drive was opposite 158 Fergus Drive, but there was also an entrance onto Wilton Street, similar to the entrances to the house next door. Also may I congratulate you all on your references to the Walker Bridge at the bottom of Queen Margaret Road, as I used this bridge daily on my way to school. If you look at the south facing photograph, you will see across the river, to the left, large glasshouses,I can remember tomatoes being grown there before they fell into disrepair, on the other side at the back of the BBC bulding. were two bowling greens, and my Grandmother used to be the president of the bowling club which played there. Many happy memories revisited.
northparkboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re:

Postby Socceroo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 pm

Fossil wrote:I’ve moved this worthy subject to Hidden projects folks

On a side note has anyone came across any Lamp posts with the black and white stripes on them [mentioned by escotregen on another topic]?
The only locations I have of these WW 2 relics are One located just before Dalmarnock bridge [Left hand side coming from Glasgow] and Victoria road [facing a stonemason/car dealership]
Anyone seen any?

Fossil

Found one - must have driven past it about a hundred times (make that 14,000 times - twice a day for twenty years) and never spotted it before. On Cathcart Road as well.

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: BOMBS OVER GLASGOW

Postby robertpool » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Socceroo wrote:The following is from "The Clydebank Blitz" by IMM MacPhail, i think it gives a good account of the hit and miss aspects of the Luftwaffe night time bombing techniques -

"The mission of the German pathfinder force was to start fires which would serve as markers for the follow - up aircraft was accomplished with a considerable degree of success from the German point of view; and the fires which began then determined the pattern of the later bombing.

The effectiveness of the incendiaries was largely, if not entirely, dependant on the accident of where they fell. Generally at industrial sites where the structures were of brick, concrete and metal, incendiaries caused very little damage.

But in the Clydebank area two of the first fires that started were at industrial sites full of inflammable material - Singer's timber yard and Yoker Distillery, just over the boundary with Glasgow.

In the forty acres of the timber yard belonging to the Singer Manufacturing Company, engaged during the war in the manufacture not only of sewing machines but also of armaments, including the Sten machune guns, a vast store of wood, estimated as worth at least 500,000 pounds, and, in addition, Goverment stocks of timber of unknown value stored there, were completely destroyed by fire.

Yoker Distillery, one of the oldest in Scotland, was on the other side of the Yoker Burn from Clydebank, but the flames and smoke were to attract to the eastern portion of Clydebank the later German bombers, who were not looking for specific targets but just dropped their bombs on or near the fires.

In the eastern parts of Clydebank, even as far west as Radnor Park, the aroma of whisky from the Distillery was already evident in the small hours of Friday morning."

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:39 pm

I have a photo of women in mens RA uniforms at the heavy ack ack gunsite at Garscadden Mains Drumchapel taken in September 1941! On the first night of the Clydebank blitz the guns at Garscadden Mains ran out of ammunition.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:10 pm

robertpool wrote:
Socceroo wrote:The following is from "The Clydebank Blitz" by IMM MacPhail, i think it gives a good account of the hit and miss aspects of the Luftwaffe night time bombing techniques -

"The mission of the German pathfinder force was to start fires which would serve as markers for the follow - up aircraft was accomplished with a considerable degree of success from the German point of view; and the fires which began then determined the pattern of the later bombing.

The effectiveness of the incendiaries was largely, if not entirely, dependant on the accident of where they fell. Generally at industrial sites where the structures were of brick, concrete and metal, incendiaries caused very little damage.

But in the Clydebank area two of the first fires that started were at industrial sites full of inflammable material - Singer's timber yard and Yoker Distillery, just over the boundary with Glasgow.

In the forty acres of the timber yard belonging to the Singer Manufacturing Company, engaged during the war in the manufacture not only of sewing machines but also of armaments, including the Sten machune guns, a vast store of wood, estimated as worth at least 500,000 pounds, and, in addition, Goverment stocks of timber of unknown value stored there, were completely destroyed by fire.

Yoker Distillery, one of the oldest in Scotland, was on the other side of the Yoker Burn from Clydebank, but the flames and smoke were to attract to the eastern portion of Clydebank the later German bombers, who were not looking for specific targets but just dropped their bombs on or near the fires.

In the eastern parts of Clydebank, even as far west as Radnor Park, the aroma of whisky from the Distillery was already evident in the small hours of Friday morning."

I'm halfway through reading that book - same dustjacket and similarly ripped.

Appendix A - List of Fatal Casualties - will bring a lump to the throat esp. page 82.

"McClory, Annie, age 9; of 7 Beardmore Street, Dalmuir. Daughter of Matthew McClory, R.N., and of Sara McClory. 14 March 1941, at 7 Beardmore Street.

McClory, James, age 7; of 7 Beardmore Street, Dalmuir. Son of Matthew McClory, R.N., and of Sara McClory. 14 March 1941, at 7 Beardmore Street.

McClory, John, age 5; of 7 Beardmore Street, Dalmuir. Son of Matthew McClory, R.N., and of Sara McClory. 14 March 1941, at 7 Beardmore Street.

McClory, Mary, age 3; of 7 Beardmore Street, Dalmuir. Daughter of Matthew McClory, R.N., and of Sara McClory. 14 March 1941, at 7 Beardmore Street.

McClory, Matthew, age 10; of 7 Beardmore Street, Dalmuir. Son of Matthew McClory, R.N., and of Sara McClory. 14 March 1941, at 7 Beardmore Street.

McClory, Sara, age 36; of 7 Beardmore Street, Dalmuir. Wife of Matthew McClory, R.N., 14 March 1941, at 7 Beardmore Street."
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:12 am

Wow. The last name's the clincher there...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects