Bombs over Glasgow in WW2

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bombs over Glasgow

Postby Bella Houston » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:26 pm

SOCCEROO wrote:From time to time having read various books on Glasgow i come across accounts of Bombs that fell on Glasgow during WW2.

I know there is a a fairly comprehensive account of the Clydebank Blitz by I McPhail giving detail of the raids over the burgh in March 1941. Is there any such books detailing events over Glasgow?

From various sources i am aware of bombs in Kelvinside, Hyndland, Kelvinway on the bridge, Govan Docks, Plantation, Govan Road near Southern General, St Anthonys FC near Ibrox, Queens Park Church and Barrowland.

Does anyone have any further Glasgow sites to add to the list or any links. I have had a good look through HG forums but it is that big now it is difficult to see if this topic has been fully covered.

I've just joined so apologies if I'm a bit behind the latest comments in this forum. I've had a quick look through the responses and I don't immediately see a mention of one book that I've come across that would help your researches. It's called "This Time of Crisis - Glasgow, the West of Scotland and the North Western Approaches in the Second World War", Andrew Jeffery, Mainstream, 1993 (ISBN 1 85158 582 6). It has a lot of useful detail about the bombing raids on Glasgow and the ground locations of bomb explosions.
Bella Houston
Just settling in
Just settling in

BOMBS OVER GLASGOW

Postby Socceroo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:02 pm

Bella Houston, Thanks for that. I think i know someone who might have that book. I'll have a wee look at it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Bombs over Glasgow

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:26 pm

Bella Houston wrote:
It's called "This Time of Crisis - Glasgow, the West of Scotland and the North Western Approaches in the Second World War", Andrew Jeffery, Mainstream, 1993 (ISBN 1 85158 582 6). It has a lot of useful detail about the bombing raids on Glasgow and the ground locations of bomb explosions.

Thanks for the info Bella I've been racking my brain trying to remember the title of that book since this thread started.

I read it about a year ago and was completely engrossed from the minute I picked it up.

The content's of that book will certainly answer many of the questions raised in this thread. I can highly recommend it.

PS: I got it from Hillhead Library.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:11 pm

for those using google earth d/l this
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=142849
nice overlay next to the forth bridge showing german bombing. now if they could get their finger out and get glasgow in hi res!
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:43 pm

engineer wrote:for those using google earth d/l this
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=142849
nice overlay next to the forth bridge showing german bombing. now if they could get their finger out and get glasgow in hi res!

cool
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:57 pm

It shows how thin warships were if you compare them to the tanker just nearby in the present. I always thought they were huge :? 8O
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:09 pm

There was an internal battle in the Navy at one time, centred on the choice of long thin ships, or short fat ships. Long and thin were reckoned to cut through the waves better, but provide a less stable gun platform. Short and fat were said to be follow the waves, rather than cut through them (more sea-sickness?) but provide a more stable gun platform (if there was anyone fit to fire them?).

Guess long and thin won the day, though aircraft carriers could be described as relatively fat nowadays.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:08 am

I'd forgotten about this and stumbled across it by accident

Wartime bomb found at granary

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:11 pm

Just want to say thanks for an interesting read in this thread. I've little interest in WWII itself, but am always fascinated by 'old' Glasgow (and other places I know well) and spent hours last night reading this thread and others instead of doing my uni work. Interesting to know Wilton Dr was bombed, my brother stays very close by though I am sure he will know that it was. I've only looked through 'Along Great Western Road' before but I'm going to make a point of reading it soon - I didn't realise there were references to bomb sites there. I also bought 'The Clydebank Blitz' today after you guys talking about it, thought it would be worth a read!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

BOMBS OVER GLASGOW

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:30 pm

"The Clydebank Blitz" by I McPhail is a fascinating book.

I remember reading it one night a few years ago on a clear moonlight night, similar to what it must have been like when the Luftwaffe came over.

It sends a shiver down your spine as you read the story of the events unfolding - things such as the Emergency Planners knew there would be a raid because the German Radio beam which guided the bombers had been detected over the Clydeside earlier that day.

It is also pretty chilling to learn that you have been walking down streets etc, oblivious to the fact that bombs fell there previously and people were killed - sometimes in fairly large numbers.

I am so chilled again writing this that i better have a large Laphroig.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JoeyCape » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:03 pm

If the stories I was told in my childhood where correct, the remains of a Heinkel 111 bomber lay somewhere in the Springburn/Petershill area until the sixties.
A neighbour also told me that an area of Dalmarnock right next to the Clyde was used to store unused gliders just after the war, local children used the area as a playground and a fire was started destroying them all.
JoeyCape
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:55 pm

JoeyCape wrote:..................
A neighbour also told me that an area of Dalmarnock right next to the Clyde was used to store unused gliders just after the war, local children used the area as a playground and a fire was started destroying them all.

It could have been the Cunnigar loop

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby ozneil » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:49 am

Regarding photo of Forth bridge bombing I read somewhere German Press published pic upside down showing direct hit on bridge not Inch???? Island with the shadow of bridge over it. (I think the above pic is upside down, turn it round 180 degrees & it looks a lot more probable)

Also was told that German bombers on at least one night mistook Great Western Road for Clyde & plastered both sides of it so largly hitting Clydebank & North bank of River.

Both may just be urban myths however!
ozneil
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

BOMBS OVER GLASGOW

Postby Socceroo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:33 pm

ozneil wrote:Also was told that German bombers on at least one night mistook Great Western Road for Clyde & plastered both sides of it so largly hitting Clydebank & North bank of River.

I recall reading about the bombing along Great Westen Road and also being told about it.

I don't know if the Luftwaffe mistakenly thought it was the River or a Canal as others have stated, but there certainly was a lot of bombing along Great Western Road where it becomes the Boulevard as it enters Clydebank.

A couple of years ago i was told that there was still bomb craters to be seen on the south side of the Boulevard in amongst growth and trees, but i have never looked myself.

During nightime raids the Luftwaffe pathfinder bombers would drop incendiary bombs on what they thought were the targets to ignite them. The follow on bombers would usually be about 20 minutes behind them and would drop their high explosive bombs over the area on fire.

Some commentators on the Luftwaffe's bombing tactics, say that this was also to warn civilians to evacuate the area / take shelter from the area which had been covered with incendiary bombs. But i am not so sure on that one.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:11 pm

The story of Great Western Road confusing the bombers was mentioned in the Clydebank Blitz exhibition which I went to when it was in Milngavie. This had recordings of peoples experiences and lots of picures and memorablia. It was the most moving and saddening thing I've ever been at. I was going to take my old man to see it as he had been in the Home Guard in Yoker, but I decided not too in case it brought back too many painfull memories.
The night of the Blitz, Great Western Road was said to be wet, and the theory was that the reflection made the Germans think they were over the Clyde. I've heard this many times and have never known it to be refuted.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects