hidden glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

hidden glasgow

Postby buckfastswallier » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:01 pm

ok, newbie here, i thought this was a cool way of thinking about all that which WAS hidden and then becomes known.

‘truth is not a matter of exposure which destroys the secret but a revelation which does justice to it’ (Taussig, 1998, p2).

BS (which also stands for bullshitter extraordinary class)
buckfastswallier
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:01 am

What a fantastic quote.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

secrets and lies

Postby buckfastswallier » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:54 pm

yeah sharon, i thought it was sore head material in a way. it's like WHAT something is, is how it comes to be found, how the thing reveals as much as it is revealed. i think its quite profound and asks lots of questions about how something is and becomes known and for what reasons, how the revealing can have a completely different meaning to the meaning that was invested in the secret in the first place. its like jack to tom raging that 'you can't have the truth'! the truth is the secret and if we simply reveal the secret we destroy important aspects of that truth (ie what made it such an important secret in the first place).
bs
buckfastswallier
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby james » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:15 pm

wow ..... that buckfast must be some pretty good stuff , i read it twice and still confused
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

confusion reigns

Postby buckfastswallier » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:30 pm

truth is a philosphical concept. these concepts generalise human experience as universal forms. that might be the case. but, those forms, as experienced are never generalisable. what is truth can be destroyed when it is revealed if it doesn't take on board all the truths that made that truth a truth in the first place. basically, that brings the question down to 'is it me' or 'is it the bucky'? or can we take a 'third way' on this and propose an alternative? is the alternative 'there is no truth that we can know without destroying it by knowing it'? its like art critics gone mad wi a new two litre bottle of vintage (ie 17.5%) tonic wine- there is no answer other than that which keeps moving! ;)
buckfastswallier
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby helsinki » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:20 pm

I'm a wee bit confused here and i'm sober. Could you explain what this has all got to do with the buckie ::):
helsinki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects