Hood mausoleum Cathcart cemetery

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hood mausoleum Cathcart cemetery

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:51 pm

I mentioned this in an earlier post on graveyards but this really has to be seen to be believed. The mausoleum bears the simple inscription "William and Mary Hood Nile Park Built 1900". The mausoleum has decorative papyrus leaf pillars and an "eye of horus" above the entrance. The stone used for the construction is a lovely red polished granite. I go back and visit this grave from time to time as it is simply stunning. I took a friend along recently who done a websearch and discovered William Hood was actually the second owner of the "Greek Thomson" villa "The Knowe" located at Shields Road Pollokshields. He renamed the house "Nile Park" during his tenure. Mr Hood was a Butcher and must have been a man of considerable wealth and standing. I took photos during my last visit. Unfortunately i do not know how to send photos to my photobucket account or indeed post them on the forum. If someone can tell me how to do this i will gladly share them. I believe Stan Laurel's mother is also buried there. Can anyone tell me where her grave is ?.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:16 pm

hi Johnny.

Stan laurel's mum is indeed buried there. On a Hg walk around there one day we searched for it, but could not find it. even though we had the grave number. Its possible it might be pushed over.

Photobucket is quite easy to upload to, im sure there arei nstructions in their site. But may I suggest flickr, It has a lot more options and it free.

Dicky.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am probably better getting someone to show me how to upload from photobucket. I always find instructions make the most simple task sound complicated. As for Stan Laurel's mother's grave the local "tent" of the "Sons of the Desert" probably know the location.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hood mausoleum Cathcart cemetery

Postby Schiehallion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:13 pm

johnnyanglia wrote: I believe Stan Laurel's mother is also buried there. Can anyone tell me where her grave is ?.

The grave is unmarked and is to the right of the Ethel Craib stone.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:20 am

Dusk foties but would whis be the one you mean:

Someone said on an earlier thread, that mentions this monument, that the broken/vandalised animals body in the second pic was a carved, reposed Anubis (the Jackal-headed god) which sat centrally atop the lid of the sunken sarcophagus. I presume the Monkey-Puzzle tree beside it was planted at the same time? Obviously not a native Egyptian tree, but adds a little touch of the exotic to the setting and has a lot of charm too :)

There is a FAQ in the Help Forum explaining how to post a pic ( see >here<), to upload to Photobucket, all you have to do is click on the "browse" button, choose the file/pic you want to upload and click on "submit". There is a limit of 250k per file for the fre Photobucet account, but it will resize it automatically for you if it's over ...broadband recommended! After that just follow the FAQ file to get your pics on-site :)

..PM or email me if you need any more help
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby cumbo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:24 am

Ask Ronnie but I think he Hood was a butcher?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:21 pm

My thanks to crusty bint, schiehallion and cumbo for your replies. A couple of questions however. Does anyone know how more details about the life of William and Mary Hood can be uncovered ?. I have phoned East Renfrewshire's phone number on the cemetery gates and i am hopeing for some feedback to my answermachine request. Why is Stan Laurel's mother's grave unmarked ?. I recently read Simon Louvish's book on Stan and Ollie and he mentions that Stan stayed at Stonelaw Road and Buchanan Drive in Rutherglen circa 1915-18. Does anyone know the exact addresses ?. Is the fact commemorated in any way ?. I also believe that the monkey puzzle tree was planted for effect at the Hood mausoleum. I could not see the head of Anubis(It was me that made the earlier post that is referred to in this series of replies)I suspect that it has been taken as a "trophy" by the people who vandalised(or should that be desecrated)the grave.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:36 pm

I think you're right about Hood being a butcher, as you say: Ronnie's your man for this subject, you could try sending him a PM?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby johnnyanglia » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:58 pm

Hood was a Butcher. Gavin Stamp's book on Thomson mentioned that Mr Hood bought "The Knowe" in 1892 and renamed it "Nile Park" the third owner renamed it "The Knowe".
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cathcart cemetery

Postby thegazman » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:38 am

i remember the grave from hanging around the cemetery as a lad.i also know of one or two people who around 25 years ago pulled the sphinks(as we called it) aside and entered the crypt.people will think this was desecration but to be honest at the time they were only kids and this was more an adventure to them.i am still in contact with one of them and will catch up with him soon and get his first hand account..as far as i can remember the sphinks and crypt lid were in place and in perfect condition
thegazman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:32 pm

So was it a Sphinx (lions body, human head) or an Anubis (jackal)? It's kinda difficult to tell from the piece thats left :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:08 pm

Nothing much to add, except to say: anybody got a local history of Cathcart? That might have something about the Hoods, and about the grave. I am going there with an expert in Egyptian architecture next weekend, and I will report back what he says about the monument - I think it's based on a specific temple, and there is a smaller and less ornate version of it in the Glasgow Necropolis, to a chap called Grandison. Hood may have been a member of the Incorporation of Fleshers, so you could try the librarian of the Trades House, or see if there has been a history of he Fleshers written ...

Do you think Hood's mutton pies were pyramid shaped?
And what did his shop (or shops, presumably, if he lived in The Knowe and built that grave) look like ... magnifying glasses and deerstalkers out, folks.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:54 pm

It is great to see the feedback this topic has generated. I clearly remember the whole structure being intact about 20 years ago. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me i am sure it was Anubis the jackal lying on top of the grave(I believe he is keeper or watcher of the dead in Egyptian mythology). Nice one Ronnie regarding the Incorporation of Fleshers i will be sure to check it out. I am awaiting some feedback from East Renfrewshire and i will keep the forum posted. Regarding the shops who knows what shape the pies. I think going by the grave and Mr. Hood's ownership of "The Knowe"(which is still standing)this was a man of considerable wealth in his trade and probably owned quite a few shops.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:31 pm

Took me a while to find what hard drive I had these pictures on

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:01 pm

The Hood monument is based on the Philae Temple of Hathor. It was built between 380 and 246 BC, and was dedicated to the godess Isis. There is a picture here (it's the seventh picture from the top):

http://www.knoware.co.uk/Travelogues/Egyptian%20Experience/Day%2015.htm[/url]
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects