Killer Clowns!!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Killer Clowns!!!

Postby DickyHart » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:25 pm

"it was pure freaky as at the time there was meant to be"killer clowns" going about slashing people"

I copyed this from the front page, i remember this story going around our school, and we where all terrifyed, anyone else have memories of this?
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:33 pm

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 22. Back in 1992/3 when I was just finishing primary school, there was a lot of rumours going round, about "killer clowns" and how they were going round schools, kidnapping and slashing/murdering kiddies. You heard them on and off for a good two years.

I had completely forgotten about that until now. Thanks for bringing it back to me :>
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:56 pm

Im 32, so this story must pop up every now and again. It is quite freaky though isnt it.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:58 pm

If I remember correctly, there was a genuine story about some guy in a van in the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area that abducted a bunch of kids. My memory is a bit hazy about that though.

I think that the rumour just evolved from that news story. There wasn't a school around here that didn't have it's own killer clown squad, or so we thought :>
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:06 pm

by the way Bonkle is a brilliant name for a place, makes me laugh evrytime i read it.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:34 pm

DickyHart wrote:by the way Bonkle is a brilliant name for a place, makes me laugh evrytime i read it.

your right.. I always remember seeing on a double Decker bus when I was small and thought it sounded somewhere very far far away (you know when yer wee) :?
Killer Clowns? I remember this sort of :?
is this not another myth / hoax
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:39 pm

DickyHart wrote:by the way Bonkle is a brilliant name for a place, makes me laugh evrytime i read it.

haha, it's just a little village. You should see the looks I get when I tell people I come from Bonkle.

We have our very own castle (now used as a nursing home) and one of the oldest churches in all of Lanarkshire. I took a couple of photos of it last October, you can see them here.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:15 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember that too! 8O 8O
What was that all about? I remeber at primary(3/4 I think) that rumour going about, but it was really quite harrowing... never realised it went out of Glasgow tho..... from Auchenshuggle to Bonkle :wink: ::): ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby DJB » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:20 pm

I remember that rumour too, think I was about 10 at the time! (c.1992)

They used to tell you that they'd abduct you and if they were feeling happy they'd 'only' slash either side of your mouth to give you a permanant smile!

What a load of crap! Really scared me at the time though!

I was much more scared by the story about the killer dwarf though, although I think this was more a cub scout rumour than anything else!
DJB
DJB
Just settling in
Just settling in

DEAD CLOWN

Postby cataclyzm » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:51 am

I'm not sure about Killer Clowns - sounds like the story was influenced by Stephen King's novel: IT, and Pennywise the killer demonic clown.
There was also the infamous story of the popular clown paintings of the 1970's, which showed a clown's face with a single tear drop staring out from the frame. It turned out that the artist was in fact a serial killer whose paintings were in fact, the manifestation of a fantasy/self perception in his own mind.
Clowns' are scary, as far as I'm concerned.
I've heard of an UE, who became trapped in the mud at the bottom of a derelict barge he was exploring and photographing in New York. Through a rusted hole to the outside and visibly rising tide, children's party balloons appeared on the surface of the water, and anyone who is familiar with the novel: IT, will no doubt understand the humerous connection and slight feeling of trepidation he had.
He managed to finally escape, but lost his mobile phone, and it serves as a reminder of how dangerous UE can be.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Killer Clowns

Postby KMas » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:24 pm

I remember the Killer Clown story when I was in Primary 7, about 1990, they slashed the sides of your mouth (like a chelsea grin?) I was always terrified of them. I agree that clowns are a little scary!!!
KMas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jazza » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:40 pm

Same here!

I'm 27 now and i remember the Killer Clown stories going about.

Looks like it just get recyclyed year after year.

Unless they have never been caught :twisted:
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:23 pm

Killer Clowns = hoax. Mostly.

Someone on the Alternativenation forums came out with "Anyone heard of the Killer Clowns? I remember seeing their van ages ago!"
He was rightly called out as being a damn liar, and it got so far as some of us writing to a professor at Glasgow Uni who'd written a book that mentioned the story!

A few folk use the "But my school sent out a letter about it! It MUST be true!" line...

The facts are:
There were a few child abductions, with kids being taken away in a blue van.
No clowns were ever involved. The clown stories sprang up amd started doing the rounds at about the same time. A few schools DID send out letters cautioning kids to be aware of their surroundings, not talk to starngers etc. The standard stuff. Some may have mentioned the Clown stories in passing as well.

But there was not, at any point, a gang of people ( In clown makeup or otherwise ) going round randomly slashing childrens' cheeks.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:14 pm

Have just discussd the rumour with my partner. He was from Milngavie and the rumour out there was that it was Voodoos not clowns and they lived in a hut at Clober Golf Course.

Trust the Spam heids ::): ::):

kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:37 pm

:) .. i was gonna post a pic of an old beat up transit van and say..i was that clown.. :)..totally throw a spanner in the works , i'm sick ..i know , twisted for sure .

However ... there was also that movie going about around that time , about two guys who dressed up as clowns and robbed tourist buses on lonely highland roads.
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects