Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:30 pm

Good list there Scaryman2u 8)

What about the orginal Jean Armour at Crossmyloof or the Mulberry Hotel in Shawlands where I got served my first illict pint as a 16 y/o :)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:33 pm

I mind the Jean Armour.... it wasnt even that old when it suddenly vanished almost overnight to make way for 'luxury apartments'
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 pm

McShad wrote:I mind the Jean Armour.... it wasnt even that old when it suddenly vanished almost overnight to make way for 'luxury apartments'

Nah! Your thinking of the more recent one which was demolished about 6 years ago that was poor imitation of the orginal which stood on the same site. This pub has had two incarnations :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:34 am

Well.... I'm not that old remember
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:33 pm

McShad wrote:Well.... I'm not that old remember

Ouch! take that, Pgcc!
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 pm

McShad wrote:Isnt there a Jeanie Deans on St Vincent Street at Finnieston?

In fact there is. I happened to be walking along there earlier this evening and noticed the place.

By the way, don't a lot of pubs have a menacing aura about them now with groups of skanky looking guys hanging about outside smoking? That's the feeling I get anyway when I walk past them. Probably just me being my usual paranoid self.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:22 pm

Naw, yir qwite right, Vicky, skanky & smoking go hand in hand. Why single out the guys though? What about the gals?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:31 pm

Actually what I really intended to say was guys of both sexes but I decided not to, and then you went and brought up the subject..............
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:39 pm

viceroy wrote:Actually what I really intended to say was guys of both sexes but I decided not to, and then you went and brought up the subject..............

Sorry doll, me & my big mooth :oops:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:49 am

I think the jeanie deans used to be called the jeanie, i was in there a few times having a natter with the oldies, some very funny & strange stories from them :D
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:07 pm

doonunda wrote:Does anyone remember the pub that sat in the middle of the wasteground between Buchanan st bus station and the top of Buchanan st?

My Kitten wrote:This one?

>clicky<

doonunda wrote:Yes...thank you.

Alex Glass wrote:Doonunda

If you look for the Buchanan Street Station (not bus) thread I gave a bit of background to the pub as it was my Dad's regular pub. Was Matt Reid'd and the Bar 82 before it was demolished.

Sorry I can't locate it myself as I an unable to work the copy paste at moment.

glasgowken wrote:On the pub theme, does anyone remember a pub which had various hats hanging on the walls ?
I've got a tramway cap that used to hang in there, but I can't remember the name :(
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Forgotten Pubs

Postby JBC » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:05 pm

I was taken by surprise a few weeks ago when I found that L'Attache and Burns Tavern, which until recently were on the corner of Waterloo Street and Wellington Street, had been demolished. Burns had been closed for a few years, and L'Attache might as well have been for all the custom it seemed to be getting after its disastrous refurbishment, but, still, I had no idea that they were both due to go altogether. No doubt yet another office block will soon spring up in their place.

Just along the street from them, virtually opposite The Admiral, was The Magnet, which formed the ground floor of an office block called Magnet House. It went when Magnet House was torn down and replaced by another office block.

A bit further out, at the corner of St Vincent Street and North Street, once stood an old favourite of mine called The Tudor. Back in the 60s it was owned by an Irishman called Peter Gallagher, who sold it and bought The Bon Accord, just a few yards further up North Street. Peter was something of a pioneer: he turned The Bon Accord into Glasgow's first real ale pub. CAMRA should erect a statue in his memory!

Back in the city centre, The Muscular Arms is, of course, now a fast-food "restaurant". Just round from it, at the corner of Buchanan Street and St George's Place (or Nelson Mandela Place, if you prefer new names), was a downstairs pub/restaurant called The Albert. That is now the basement of a clothes shop. Another pub - very popular in the 70s - whose use was changed was The Rooster, on Glassford Street. The bank next door bought it over in order to expand its premises.

Just two or three more.

A hugely-popular pub in the 60s was Burns' Howff, on West Regent Street. Friday-night regulars will no doubt remember the resident group's famous rendering - to the accompaniment of many a drunken customer like myself - of Del Shannon's Kelly.

Another city centre pub which had its heyday in the 60s was The Bierkeller on Union Street (not unlike it, come to think of it, was The Hunting Lodge, which, at the top end of West Campbell Street, was part of the now-demolished Bath Hotel).

But the best of them all - and very much missed - was The Old Eagle Inn, which was built into the railway arches south of St Enoch station. It, and its ghosts, are now somewhere beneath the St Enoch Centre. Unusually for its time, it sold a lovely German draught lager called Holsten, far superior to the glassfuls of chemicals from out of Duke Street.

Oh, now that my thoughts are taking me down that way, what about The Vintners, on Clyde Street, next door to what is now the Eurohostel. What about it indeed? Is anyone going to admit to having been a regular there? I certainly wasn't one...not even an occasional visitor! (If anyone is wondering what I'm talking about, I suggest you ask around The Waterloo, on Argyle Street/Wellington Street corner. I daresay the older customers there will remember The Vintners.)
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Armadillo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:11 pm

JBC wrote:I was taken by surprise a few weeks ago when I found that L'Attache and Burns Tavern, which until recently were on the corner of Waterloo Street and Wellington Street, had been demolished.

The building "went on fire" last October, JBC. The full story's [url=http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2959&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/code]here[/url].
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Forgotten Pubs

Postby JBC » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Armadillo wrote:
JBC wrote:I was taken by surprise a few weeks ago when I found that L'Attache and Burns Tavern, which until recently were on the corner of Waterloo Street and Wellington Street, had been demolished.

The building "went on fire" last October, JBC. The full story's [url=http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2959&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/code]here[/url].

Thanks. I hadn't heard about that fire before. As far as I'm concerned, neither pub will be missed, though there was a time when L'Attache (formerly Archies) was not a bad wee place. I felt, however, that its refurbishment destroyed it.
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 pm

Been shut a few years but certainly one of the more interesting pubs going by the windowless exterior.

Did you have a pint or perhaps a bar meal in there? :)

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects