Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby BB » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:51 pm

Hi Guys; this is my first message on lost glasgow pups, does anybody remember the western isles on st Vincent st in Anderston, it was my first pint, and my big brother caught me and shopped me to my old man. Ha happy days :)
BB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:11 pm

How about this one. The white signed building at the back is called the Old Eagle Inn. Probably demolished with the hotel and station but it was one of the first pubs my dad drank in when he was working up here in the late 60's.

Anyone any memories of this? Or are we all (claiming to be) too young for drinking in the 60's??? :D

Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:22 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:How about this one. ...........

Anyone any memories of this? Or are we all (claiming to be) too young for drinking in the 60's??? :D

I fuffin hope so ::):

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:39 pm

The Old Eagle Inn with bar and lounge serving genuine Carlsberg Export imported from Copenhagen at 2/6 per pint and with a notorious reputation for serving under agers.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:20 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:
Vinny the Mackem wrote:How about this one. ...........

I fuffin hope so ::):

Fossil

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Old Eagle Inn with bar and lounge serving genuine Carlsberg Export imported from Copenhagen at 2/6 per pint and with a notorious reputation for serving under agers.

"Copenhagen at 2/6 per pint"

HG quote of the year so far I think

::): ::):

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:51 pm

Bloody whippersnappers! Ignore the buggers, Dex. To think we fought a World War to preserve the freedom that they abuse! They don't like it up em', I say! Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

12.5p

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:55 am

Of course this is the generation that made an English lager with a Belgian name the top selling beer in the UK despite it being "brewed" in a shed off a motorway in Wales under the ownership of Brazilians.

And can swallow any tale of fortified public toilets, tunnels in Bothwell street, Slave canals to the Clyde and Erik Von Danniken but you tell them that genuine Danish Lager was 2/6 and they don't believe you.

That's what attracts me to this site.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Norseman Lager

Postby Alycidon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:07 am

Not so much remember a particular pub, but did anyone seriously drink in any pub selling Ushers beer and more specifically Norseman Lager. If ever anyone tried to invent a cure for alcaholism that was a damn good try.
I turned 18 in the Airdrie when pubs still shut at 10pm and all day Sunday and the only entertainment on a Sunday night was at the Tudor Hotel (Best known for where Billy Connolly recorded the Crucifixion) unfortunately it was Norseman it sold.
God it was disgusting!!! :x
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:43 am

I remember me and my mate (we were about 14) used to collect beer mats/towels, we used to go into every pub in Partick and the City Centre looking for mats. Once we went into a pub in Partick (can't remember which) and the barman gave us a whole packet of those!
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Gay Pubs

Postby Shazbat » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:23 am

The Vintners on Clyde Street, The Muscular Arms on West Regent street (I think) and an amazing pink outrage of a club on Clyde Street called Pussycats. All accessed when I was a wee fifteen year old from Paisley. Marvellous. :wink:
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Norseman

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:08 pm

Not so much remember a particular pub, but did anyone seriously drink in any pub selling Ushers beer and more specifically Norseman Lager. If ever anyone tried to invent a cure for alcaholism that was a damn good try.

You coudn't have made a worse lager than Norseman. Did Ushers get absorbed by Carlsberg?

What was the rubbish beer served in working men's clubs in lanarkshire. was that Ushers?

Found the answer Allied maker of another poor lager Skol took them over.

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/sba/sbacolls/tu.html
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:43 pm

never tried the stuff but cant help but notice that the marketing team from norseman couldnt even come up with their own badge.. its the now defuct rover badge isnt it? poor show.
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Wasnt there a Norseman pub in Sauchihall street?
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:06 pm

You may be thinking of the Norsk Bar which was on the corner of Sauchiehall St and Elmbank St near Charing Cross. It was extensively refurbished a number of years ago and is now the Variety Bar.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:14 pm

That's the very fellow.

I seem to remember that it had a basement bar, which the variety doesnt have, so I imagine that there's a perfectly preserved 70s/early 80s nastly basement bar perfectly preserved somewhere near the toilets of the Variety :wink:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects