Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:53 am

Oscar was convicted for the murder of Marion Gilchrist in 1908... wrongly convicted, he spent 18 years in jail.

Conan Doyle did alot to disprove the case against Oscar.

http://www.siracd.com/life/life_case2.shtml

Apparently the landlord of the pub sleeps where the murder occured... but thats not my story to tell... 8O
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kelvin_hall » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:54 am

Oscar Slatter, apart from being rhyming slang for "see you latter' as in 'see you Oscar', was involved in a very strange murder case. If remeber rightly he fled to America but was apprehended when he arrived thanks to the relatively new Transatlantic telegram.

He was found guilty of murder and stealling some jewelery from a lover, I think she may have lived in the Woodlands area. He was latter pardoned after being championed, one his supporters was Sir Arthur Connan Doyle.
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:37 pm

If you head from that pub back towards Woodlands Road, the last close you get to, or the first on St George's Road, is where Slater lived at the time of the murder. The murder itself took place on West Princes Street in one of the houses right opposite Queen's Crescent - I can't remember which one.

His case also led to the appeal system in Scots Law as prior to that particular miscarriage of justice, there was no appeal mechanism!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:33 pm

Well, there you go, that is my new thing learned today, thanks all :D
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:17 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:[...] The murder itself took place on West Princes Street in one of the houses right opposite Queen's Crescent - I can't remember which one.

The murder took place at 49 West Princes Street.

Vinny the Mackem wrote:His case also led to the appeal system in Scots Law as prior to that particular miscarriage of justice, there was no appeal mechanism!

Yup, and another quasi-legal bit of trivia on the Oscar Slater case is that several photos were taken (quite legally) of the accused and the presiding judge as they sat in the Court. I remember studying this case back in 1st year uni. Fantastic stuff.

Cheers,

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:31 pm

I'm still thinking square mile of murder evening HG style would be pretty cool...

Victorian dress obligatory, bags being one of the policeman complete with pipe and bowler hat.

It has the added bonus of taking in several pubs too, the "oscar Slater" being one of course.
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kelvin_hall » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:41 pm

I baggsie "the human crocodile"! :D
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:16 pm

Molendinar wrote:I'm still thinking square mile of murder evening HG style would be pretty cool...

Victorian dress obligatory, bags being one of the policeman complete with pipe and bowler hat.

It has the added bonus of taking in several pubs too, the "oscar Slater" being one of course.

This could be alot of fun. Its always good to have a reason to dress up and drink ;)

Now... madeliene smith.... a maid.... decisions decisions...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Montrose Bar

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun May 08, 2005 12:11 pm

The Montrose Bar

Latest addition to the list of soon to be Forgotten pubs. It's now been demolished.

Wonder if the beer was any good guess I'll never know!

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Sun May 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Talk about hidden away!
Never even knew there was a pub behind the MOD building!
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sun May 08, 2005 12:48 pm

The Montrose was a great Celtic bar -- lots of players and ex-player would gather there after Scottish Cup victories.

Such a shame to see a place of memories disappear under the demolition ball.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Sun May 08, 2005 1:31 pm

That looks to me like an upstair seating area. And it looks like it must have been a nice place.
Seems in good nick for a condemned building.
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ladylabobo » Sun May 08, 2005 2:57 pm

i knew people that worked there... a friend of mine married one of the owners twin daughters.
ladylabobo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Sun May 22, 2005 6:19 pm

not a pub at all, but has anyone else been to the party flat on west princes street. cant remember which number, its often absolutely packed, bands playing etc.
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon May 23, 2005 11:13 pm

The "BierKeller" on Union St. opposite and to the right of the Central Station. It was housed in a massive basement, I will try to pinpoint the exact location next time I'm in Glasgow. The "Dial Inn" opposite the Odeon Cinema in Gordon St? It was called the Dial Inn because after you had selected your seat, you phoned in your food and drinks order via the telephone supplied on each table. The "Lunar 7" at the corner of Buchanan St. & Bath St. It had a strange exterior, bit like a spacecraft, if memory serves. Long time ago, I'm afraid.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects