Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby duck » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Sorry Cumbo, those names mean nothing to me ! I'm maybe a bit earlier - it was roundabout 1978/9!! It's on the tip of my tongue - I can see the bar on the right as you walked in. In a drunken lunchtime haze I signed up to an IrishLife assurance policy!! I'm going to wake up remembering the name!!! I hope!!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:58 am

dazzababes wrote:Has anyone else heard that, in the 60s, The Arches used to house a nightclub called The Cave.

I've head that there was a nightclub there, specifically a blues club. Access was from Midland street via the wee lane beside the Wayside Club hostel.

I dont know the name as I only got the info second hand from a friend. might see her in a couple of weeks and if I remember I'll ask.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:39 pm

The Burns Howf . Some of the best gigs ever .Groups about at the time Heavy Pettin, Wildcat aka Glasgow.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:02 pm

La Cave was in Midland Street but by no stretch of the imagination could it be called a night club. This was in the days before Entertainment licences, it was soft drinks only and little heed paid to fire regulations.

Here's some notes From Glasgow Guide
The Bagatelle Club (the old church at the top of Dundas Street where the Buchanan Gallerys are now) also the Scene Club West Nile Street (building demolished recently).

The Scene Club was about 2 closes down from the junction at Bath Street just before the Bay Horse. It was 2 flights of stairs up a close.( If my memory serves me well)

The Picasso Club (resident DJ Tom Ferrie) was at the top of the east side of Buchanan Street.

Sergeant Pepper's was in the Botanic Gardens Station.

[/code]
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:50 pm

hazy wrote:The Burns Howf . Some of the best gigs ever .Groups about at the time Heavy Pettin, Wildcat aka Glasgow.

I know the guitarist from Heavy Pettin - stage name Punky Mendoza! Friend of the family
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby comic book guru » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:37 pm

The_Clincher wrote:Being a spritely 32 year old, i think i might just have missed being able to get into Burn's Howf which i hear was a great rock pub....i'm quite partial to "The Solid Rock Cafe" at the bottom of Hope Street..however, i was wondering if any of you good people have any pics/memories of Burn's Howf...and if you could tell me what street it was on!

I've been in the others like "Shadows" & "Wypers" & "The Venue" when they had Rock music regular...but i would like to hear from some Burn's Howf regulars :wink:

I remeber Wypers and the Venue used to go there when I was to young to know any better. Now drinking in the solid rock. (only 32 as well)

Hope the picture works (1st post) found it behind the bar of the pub that now sits on the site of Wypers. The Renfield Bar. http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imagevie ... ba0cf202bf
comic book guru
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JayKay » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:58 pm

like that pic. Couldnt tell if any of those old guys was wearing an Iron Maiden T shirt...

Missed the Howf as well, but did manage to get into Shadows (they were notoriously strict about under 18s but... :wink: )

Shadows, then Lymburns (Now the State) were the regular pre-Venue crawl. (with someone like Trident playing as part of a tour that no doubt featured the Heathery Bar in Wishaw and the Dial Inn...)

The other pre-Solid rock-oriented pub (although more goth when I frequented it in the late 80s early 90s) was Hurricanes in West Regent Street near Blythwood Sq.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 pm

crazygray23 wrote:the jaguar club/black ball on sheildhall rd now a quick save (due to shut down) the fifty pitches on meiklewood rd in the middle of the west drumoyne housing estate now demolished with most of the houses to make way for new uns

You forgot about The Lochinvar in Drumoyne, Which was pulled down
to make way for the new bridge over the M8/railway line. I was never
old enough to drink in it tho' ::):
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue May 23, 2006 12:28 am

hazy wrote:The Burns Howf . Some of the best gigs ever .Groups about at the time Heavy Pettin, Wildcat aka Glasgow.

West Regent Street. Played there a few times in the early eighties. Owed by John Waterson. His son Paul is the head of the Scottish Licence Traders.

Lots of pubs have changed names over the years. The Dial Inn was the place to play. Scheme played here and offered us a warm up slot for £50. When they said we had to pay we told them they were not that good. That happened one night when the lead singer saw us up stairs in the Muscular Arms.

The Henry Gorman Band played the Dial Inn a few times.

Anyone remember the Amphora?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 am

I used to be in it every Saturday night.

I used to go and see Chico on a regular basis. Great jazz/ Funk outfit. I see Charlie Fraser every five years or so. Usually in the Chip.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue May 23, 2006 11:15 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

I used to be in it every Saturday night.

I used to go and see Chico on a regular basis. Great jazz/ Funk outfit. I see Charlie Fraser every five years or so. Usually in the Chip.

I remember Chico. What a great venue. Played there only once but drank there most weekends and a few week days. We classed the Amphora as our local pub although we lived in the East End.

Wish I could remember the names of the bands we always enjoyed.

Dex did Charlie sing a song about Bangleberries?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cazzie » Tue May 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Anyone remember the Doune Castle in Shawlands?

Burn's Howff was a great pub.

Some great pubs - and what a variety!- the length of Byres Road in the late seventies.... Studio one, Curlers, Tennents, Safari, aragon, reids of Pertyck then round to Chequers

My ambition was always to go to Centre Court in Sauchiehall St - that was the height of cool for me. but I never got into that posey sophisticated crowd.....

Carole
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue May 23, 2006 7:13 pm

Bungalo bar in paisley. Followed Wilcat for a while aka Glasgow due to a wee theatre group with the same name.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Dex did Charlie sing a song about Bangleberries?

Although it was his band Charlie was the drummer Sandy McClelland sang. Dangleberries might be a Dolphins' song.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed May 24, 2006 7:39 am

[quote="Cazzie"]Anyone remember the Doune Castle in Shawlands?

My ambition was always to go to Centre Court in Sauchiehall St - that was the height of cool for me. but I never got into that posey sophisticated crowd.....

Nice one Cazzie I can almost taste the cider and blackcurrant as I write,the 'Doune' was a bit of a Rock venue if I remember,I'm sure Simple Minds played there on a Sunday?The centre court was sooo cool
It was every 16 year old boys dream to get served in there :D
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects