Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gordon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 pm

Is that the one in Ruchill?

Looks a charming wee place, in fact, i think i had a pint or 6 in an identical establishment when i was on the West Highland Way!

As you can see, the homely country pub idea didnt quite take off.....
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:27 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Good list there Scaryman2u 8)

What about the orginal Jean Armour at Crossmyloof or the Mulberry Hotel in Shawlands where I got served my first illict pint as a 16 y/o :)

In the same area. What was the name of the pub in the old Shawlands precinct? At the top left next to the hotel entrance! I saw a guy do a floating pound note trick in there and it's been bugging me how he did it ever since. Now that I think about that "Google is my friend"

There's also the Tinto Firs and the McDonald. Hotels granted but still my haunts from younger times. Trade Winds on Nitshill Road, Thornlie Arms and Lea Bank in Thornliebank Main St.

Jeez, reading this thread it's a wonder you can get a pint anywhere these days!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:31 pm

Peekay wrote:
Pgcc93 wrote:Good list there Scaryman2u 8)

What about the orginal Jean Armour at Crossmyloof or the Mulberry Hotel in Shawlands where I got served my first illict pint as a 16 y/o :)

In the same area. What was the name of the pub in the old Shawlands precinct? At the top left next to the hotel entrance! I saw a guy do a floating pound note trick in there and it's been bugging me how he did it ever since. Now that I think about that "Google is my friend"

There's also the Tinto Firs and the McDonald. Hotels granted but still my haunts from younger times. Trade Winds on Nitshill Road, Thornlie Arms and Lea Bank in Thornliebank Main St.

Jeez, reading this thread it's a wonder you can get a pint anywhere these days!
PK

The one in the arcade was called The Arcadian an old mans pub, upstairs was the Shawlands Hotel and Angies Bar which became Reflections.

The Tinto Firs and the McDonald Hotels along with The Shawlands Hotel have all gone
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Forgotten Pubs

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:31 pm

JBC wrote:But the best of them all - and very much missed - was The Old Eagle Inn, which was built into the railway arches south of St Enoch station. It, and its ghosts, are now somewhere beneath the St Enoch Centre. Unusually for its time, it sold a lovely German draught lager called Holsten, far superior to the glassfuls of chemicals from out of Duke Street.

Back in the mid to late 60', my dad was a telecommunications engineer, installing and fixing the old telephone exchanges and this took him all over the country. One of the places he came to (fairly regularly it seems) was Glasgow and he loved it, still does although he now lived back in Sunderland. Anyhoo, his haunts included some of the bars in the George Hotel, the Five Ways (on Buchanan Street/Catherdal Street - in fact he met my mother there), Quarter Gill in Partick and the Old Eagle Inn.

He has a story about the OEI where he popped in for the first time. The barman, detecting the North East acccent, bascially challenged him to have a pint or two of this new German beer on tap. My dad says it was Lowenbrau, but it could have been Holsten. Anyway, this stuff was lethal and the barman challenged him along the lines of "anything over three pints of this stuff, and I'll buy them". At that time, the beer was about three times as expensive as ordinary beer, probably the equivalent of about £7 a pint now.

So, he duly has a drink. He goes back to the OEI the next day to be greeted by "you Geordie bastard, you cost me the price of five pints last night". Happy days. My dad has been up to Glasgow a number of times since I moved up here in 1989 and one of his regrets is that they shut the OEI.

Picture here (see page 15 of "Past/Present"!) where you can just make out OEI towards the right of the photo a the top of Maxwell Street!

Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:36 pm

Good photograph. The left hand site of the street is still there with Morrison's bar and the GPMU offices above it.

The Quarter Gill in Partick is still there but probabaly revamped.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:05 pm

I have just noticed that i posted a pub called The Three cherries it sould have been The Cherry Tree at the corner of Houston St /Place and Shields Rd (i think, the old memory is playing up :oops: )in Kingston. One of the first streets i remember that had restricted vehicle access and was virtualy a play area for the kids ::): Morrisons is doing well to keep the original signage and facade ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 pm

The Monkland Vaults by the canal bank behind Alexandra Parade near Milnbank?/croft? Rd had a sign advertising Aitkens ales outside, the "Aitken" being the stripes on a tiger. An ale I never got the chance to taste, assume it was a Glasgow brewery.
The Hangman's Rest was the second oldest pub in Glasgow (assumed oldest being the "Sarry") and above it was what was known as the "Anarchist Hall" where meetings took place (mentioned by Cliff Hanley somewhere).
As a regular in the "Hangman's" in the 60's I was told that there was originally a tunnel running under the pub (another one!!!) and that the hangman would come from Embra, stay at the inn as it then was, and use the tunnel to get to and from the scaffold, supposedly erected up by the cathedral.
I don't know how large a pinch of salt is required to swallow that story, but it was current among the warehouse and fruit market workers who frequented the pub at that time.
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:48 pm

JBC wrote:But the best of them all - and very much missed - was The Old Eagle Inn, which was built into the railway arches south of St Enoch station.

I used to meet my then girlfriend there after she finished her Saturday job, this would be around 1969 / 70. Can't remember too much about it except to say how small it was inside? Am I right?

ps. I went into "Morrisons" for a beer last month for the first time in decades, its a step back in time. 8)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:22 am

HollowHorn wrote:
JBC wrote:But the best of them all - and very much missed - was The Old Eagle Inn, which was built into the railway arches south of St Enoch station.

I used to meet my then girlfriend there after she finished her Saturday job, this would be around 1969 / 70. Can't remember too much about it except to say how small it was inside? Am I right?

ps. I went into "Morrisons" for a beer last month for the first time in decades, its a step back in time. 8)

The Old Eagle Inn whilst not the size of a Wetherspoons still managed in the fine old Glasgow tradition of having a bar and a lounge. It sold Carlsberg Export which then came in via Leith from Copenhagen rather than the A74 and M6 from Wolverhampton as it does today.

I'm normally in Morrison's if I'm early for Goodfoot at the Riverside. I must be one of the few clubbers who enjoys a pint of light before heading for the dancing. Well in Glasgow at least. I'm sure they must still get tanked up on 60/- before heading to Angels in darkest Lanarkshire
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote: I'm sure they must still get tanked up on 60/- before heading to Angels in darkest Lanarkshire

Darkest Lanarkshire? It's barely across the border :)
Is it still owned by Harry Hood?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow Pubs long gone

Postby JimT » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi this is my first post. I grew up in Pollokshaws Road (gushetfaulds end)
The pubs that have disappeared were:
Cuckatoo, The Glen, The Wee Mill, McNee's, The Gordon Bar, The Four Ways(Ushers beer ugh!), The Devon and The Castle. :(
All were within a 200 yard radius from ma hoose. The survivors in the area are; Logans(Maxwell Arms), Star Bar and Brazen Head(Granite City)
Slightly further a field others that have gone are: Office, Tuckers, Dixon Blazes, and Club Bar. There was one in Cavendish/Eglinton Street but I cant remember the name. There was also numerous pubs in Cumberland and Crown Street area that have ended up under the bulldozers
JimT
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Glasgow Pubs long gone

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:50 pm

JimT wrote: There was one in Cavendish/Eglinton Street but I cant remember the name. There was also numerous pubs in Cumberland and Crown Street area that have ended up under the bulldozers

Hi JimT, welcome to HG :)

I just remembered another one in that area called The Mally Arms which was on the corner of Bedford St and Eglinton St Was demolished in the mid 90's.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:04 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:
JimT wrote: There was one in Cavendish/Eglinton Street but I cant remember the name. There was also numerous pubs in Cumberland and Crown Street area that have ended up under the bulldozers

Hi JimT, welcome to HG :)

I just remembered another one in that area called The Mally Arms which was on the corner of Bedford St and Eglinton St Was demolished in the mid 90's.

With the adjoining Top 20 lounge.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:38 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Pgcc93 wrote:

With the adjoining Top 20 lounge.

Tell us more Dex that name rings a bell, but why? I was only young.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:13 am

Most pubs had a bar for the men and a lounge where one could take your lady. The Top Twenty Lounge was though the door from the Mally Arms.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects