Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby viceroy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:51 pm

I well remember the small downstairs lounge bar in the Norsk as I used to visit it regularly about 30 years ago. It had a typical cheesy early 70's decor as far as I can recollect. I've never been in the Variety Bar so didn't know it was no longer in use. It would certainly be fascinating to know whether it's still in situ bemeath the floor of the Variety. Incidentally, the Norsk had previously been the King's Arms but was bought over by two brickies who had made pots of money repairing damage caused by the Glasgow hurricane in January 1968 [anybody else old enough to remember that? Maybe I should start start a thread?]. They renamed it the Norsk but where the name came from I couldn't say. Obviously a Scandinavian connection somewhere.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:18 pm

anyone got a photo? interesting to hear the history of local drinking establishments.. as far as i can remember (76%sure) the variety bar has a basement? i may be wrong as iv never been there sober.
might ask someone that works there.
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

The Variety

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:52 am

as posted above the basement is now the toilet and cellar.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maxen » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:08 pm

Lo again folks!

Great thread, i just dont think pubs are the same anymore, so i dont realy use them much, cant hear myself think, is the prob ::):

can anyone remenber a boozer sat rite across from fury murrys, would that be fox street? anyway the pub itself sat all on its own, (alot of building going on there now) and inside had spitting image type characters sat around & hung on walls etc, was most amusing. was it called, or sound like `la tanier` perhaps. my memory aint so good, im sure they had local rock bands playing there too, big george, cochise etc etc, anyway i think it burned down, and then was reduced to a pile of rubble, its only quite recently theyve started building on the land..
there must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the...
maxen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Seamey » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:00 pm

[quote="Cyclo2000"]

I think Maxwells premises are still there on the Broomielaw, aren't they the one with the half a boat above the door? You'll have to forgive me if get any of this wrong but it's f**kin' ages ago and I was probably drunk.
quote]

They've taken the boat down - no more evidence of the Clyde's high tide mark :-( Guess the site is being developed.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:47 pm

...and hit by a mysterious fire not long after the boat was removed for fear of it falling on thoise underneath, according to the ET.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Norseman Lager

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:22 pm

Alycidon wrote:Not so much remember a particular pub, but did anyone seriously drink in any pub selling Ushers beer and more specifically Norseman Lager. If ever anyone tried to invent a cure for alcaholism that was a damn good try.
I turned 18 in the Airdrie when pubs still shut at 10pm and all day Sunday and the only entertainment on a Sunday night was at the Tudor Hotel (Best known for where Billy Connolly recorded the Crucifixion) unfortunately it was Norseman it sold.
God it was disgusting!!! :x

Norseman was brewed by Vaux Breweries in Sunderland. Oddly enough they also had the UK licence for Labatts - remember that?!?! The old profit making brewery was closed by the Swallow Group because they wanted to sell their pubs off, and refused to sell the business to its employees, with the loss of hundreds of jobs in Sunderland ... typical!

Anyway, here's a picture of a Norseman glass! :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:13 am

Seamey wrote:They've taken the boat down - no more evidence of the Clyde's high tide mark

Is that a true thing, Seamey :?:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Forgotten pubs

Postby Tamandee » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:46 pm

Great thread, it took me back a good few years. The upstairs to the Muscular Arms was the Single End. It had over sized washing hanging from the ceiling and dustbins on the floor. I don't remember a car up there but there was a bit of a car downstairs in the Muscular Arms. Best pub in town -- met my husband there (28 years married next month). I remember the Old Eagle but was only in it once. The woman behind the counter wore a nylon overall and "fly-away" glasses (this was the 70s and Deirdre Barlow glasses were all the go). Can't remember much more . . . so long ago, so many pubs . . . so many beers . . . so many gins . . . :wink:
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Tidying up.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:02 am

There was a bar at the corner of the North British Hotel (Copthorrne?) that I think was called Grand Prix

Devil’s Elbow

was the name Joannas (in St Vincent Street? Where the Abbey National Building is now and wasn't it formerly the Empire Ballroom or something?

Joanna’s was in Bath Street under the Albert Ballroom. A free plate of Chips handed to you by a bouncer meant you could continue drinking after eleven.

I really did see the Simple Minds at the Mars Bar, but back when Kenny Mizak was still with them (he left to form Set The Tone. Keeping up?) and the Minds were still Johnny and The Self Abusers.

Kenny Hyslop who drummed with Simple Minds at one point formed Set The Tone with Bobby Patterson and a girl singer. The Simple Minds only appeared as Johnny and the Self Abusers for one gig and not at the Mars Bar. Simple Minds played the basement of what is now McPhabbs.

the jaguar club/black ball on sheildhall rd now a quick save (due to shut down) the fifty pitches on meiklewood rd in the middle of the west drumoyne housing estate now demolished with most of the houses to make way for new uns

Wit a Sunday residence for Tiger Tim or should I say 3 hours of Tiger’s roadie and an hour long guest appearance by the man himself.

I'm sure it was quite near where 'Ragnarok' was.
Remember that short-lived bar!!!

Is that now The Barfly club?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Tidying up.

Postby JayKay » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:49 pm

I'm sure it was quite near where 'Ragnarok' was.
Remember that short-lived bar!!!

Is that now The Barfly club?

Yes. It was also for a while the 13th Note club between it being Ragnarok and Barfly.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Has anyone else heard that, in the 60s, The Arches used to house a nightclub called The Cave.
dazza
-
-

Postby duck » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:06 pm

Just come across this thread - great memories!!
Is the Quarter Gill still there on the corner of Oswald Street and Midland Street? Used to see it from the bus on my way to school. Never went in but it used to fascinate me from outside for some reason.
There used to be a bar just off Blythswood Square on West Regent Street- you went up a few steps to get in. Wish I could remember the name. It was a real lunchtime businessman's pub.
I remember another pub on the corner of West Nile Street and the lane that the Horsheshoe is in. Can't remember the name but used to say to my parents that that was where I was going . Would stop for a pint and then go off to either the Vintners ( somebody has already mentioned it - anybody remember when the "new" upstairs bar was opened!! ) or the Duke of Wellington that used to be next door to the Waterloo. Later on there was another pub we used to go to just along the road on Argyle Street - the Chiltern Hundreds. Last time I was home it was a big new development.
No idea what is there now but remember the Beer bar in the Men's Union at the Uni?? Those long tables like a German beer hall!!!
Really got me thinking now!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:16 pm

yeah, the quarter gill is still there with sawdust on the floor
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:10 pm

Bar on West Regent Street at Blythswood Sq was the Chequer Board that was renamed Radleys in "86 then became the fantastic Brasserie on West Regent Street now Chardon'Dor.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects