Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: ultrateque disco in sauchiehall st early eighties?

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:48 pm

bands4fun wrote:does anyone remember...sheena (brennan),who was a regular

Is this her?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bands4fun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 pm

no...
bands4fun
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Club

Postby Avenger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:07 pm

Dougie wrote:
Did anyone ever go into the Pot Black pub in the Anderston complex? Always wondered what that pub was like.

They had a couple of pool tables upstairs, I was at a pool tournament one night and had the car so decided to try the new non alcoholic beers, I was about 19 or 20 at the time. Standing at the bar I saw them in the fridge so I got a bottle of Furstenberg, I think thats what it was called - wait for it. Got one off the barman and took a seat. After the second the bar staff changed, I went up for another, "a non alcoholic lager" I said to the new guy behind the bar "a what?", "one of them" I pointed - "Furstenberg". There was a pause "you driving?" he said. After he explained that I had been drinking german lager all night (alcoholic) he recommended a fish supper, a few cokes "and give it a few hours before you drive."
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby big jon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:03 am

HollowHorn wrote:Someone posted the name of this pub recently, but I've forgotten it again.
Circa 1980:

Was this not the famous Panama Jacks??? as I remember from my late 80s nights out!!!

seem to remember it was pretty small inside with a u shaped layout floor plan bar in the middle and a
tiny dance floor.

And you took your life in your hands venturing down the clyde wal way any way druggys gadgies and wot not!!1 :)

John
big jon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Doorstop » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 am

stranger wrote:
Doorstop wrote:I worked the door in Hollywood studios for a spell .. at least I think I did. :oops:

It had two dance floors didn't it? The main one upstairs and a much smaller secondary one downstairs?

This memory thing doesn't get any better with age does it?

It had three rooms, the main one on the ground floor on the left as you went in, a larger but scruffier one upstairs and a tiny one downstairs. They used to have the alternative scene in the ground floor and upstairs and a singles night downstairs when the Cathouse first opened.

Thanks for that Stranger .. I knew I remembered the tiny room downstairs as I had a devil of a job removing a couple of oiks from said space one summers night, 1980 something.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weasler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:35 pm

big jon, the place was called the Devils Advocate.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 pm

if that pic was taken 77/78 then im probs in it with my then workmate ricky mc conville fae riddrie,but it does look about 1980.our workplace was that building in the background with the yellow background and the red writing.ricky would be fifty now,anyone here know him,he was a smashing guy to work with.another workmate then was a guy from nitshill called jim brown,again a good bloke.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:57 am

Loved PJ, had some great times in there in my younger days, is that Maxwel Plums on clyde st in that image ? i always thought it was further back towards Dixon st, where was the Mardi Gras and Warehouse situated again.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 am

The Sogat building reminds me that Morrison's Bar has been closed for the last three months or more due to flooding. It's doubtful that it will re open. The tenant is waiting for a reasonable offer of compensation to give up his lease and Unite just want to sell the building.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Is thon building (Graphical House?) listed? I'm sure I read somewhere, perhaps even on here, that it was.

Feck knows who will buy it if it is indeed listed.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:48 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Sogat building reminds me that Morrison's Bar has been closed for the last three months or more due to flooding. It's doubtful that it will re open. The tenant is waiting for a reasonable offer of compensation to give up his lease and Unite just want to sell the building.

Oh no. That was a terrific pub. One more old jakey bar disappears from the city centre.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:58 pm

The Tube had a section in there show called Famous For Fifteen Minutes where up and coming bands were recorded in their home town. They definitely filmed at Night Moves, (don't think it was called Rooftops at that time), in Sauchiehall Street.
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Fri May 14, 2010 9:41 pm

big jon wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Someone posted the name of this pub recently, but I've forgotten it again.
Circa 1980:

Was this not the famous Panama Jacks??? as I remember from my late 80s nights out!!!

seem to remember it was pretty small inside with a u shaped layout floor plan bar in the middle and a
tiny dance floor.

And you took your life in your hands venturing down the clyde wal way any way druggys gadgies and wot not!!1 :)

John

PJ also had a smaller room down a little tunnel that played more indie type stuff instead of the dancey smiley face stuff, remember they had a 5am licence during 1990 year of culture, was great that summer coming out of there at 5 in daylight and walking home to Linthouse!!!
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat May 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Definitely was Night Moves .. one of my preferred haunts at the time.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby monkey6 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Was that location not a disco called something like reflections or illusions or similar in the late 70's?
monkey6
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects