Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Club

Postby munchinmac » Sat May 03, 2008 2:54 pm

Can anyone remember the name of the bar which I think was in the basement of the ca d'ora building before the fire? (Very early 80's) The entrance was in Union Street and I remember going there on Sunday nights (electronic night for us young 'New Romantics') before making our way down to Manhatten's or Coconut Grove at the waterfront for their electo nights. Lots of posing !!

Other places I remember / worked in are:

51st State - the first 'American' diner in Glasgow in Sauchiehall Street, we had roller skating waitresses and had to wear denim shorts and try to look like Daisy Duke!!!

Danny Brown's in St. Vincent Street (I can't remember what it was called before that, then it was owned by Mark Tsang who was one of the first people to bring karaoke to Glasgow) then it was bought over and changed to Danny Browns.

Dux restaurant & Truants Bar - Hope Street Up opposite the Pot Still
Truants Bar, you had to wear a netball skirt and look all 'St Trinians'. Dux Restaurant, you had to dress like a prefect - all straight tie and proper length skirt.
Caned quite a few unfortunates there!!!

Chicago Meatpackers Restaurant - Hope Street. The desecration of the Malmaison, they painted over the marble pillars and put statues of pigs in the small music gallery. The place was haunted, even one of the original Malmaison chefs came in shortly after it opened to see what it was like and asked us how we were getting on with the 'ghosts'!!!

Younger days were around Shawlands:

Angie's Bar in the Shawlands Hotel
The Doune Castle
Mulberry Hotel

Also, what was the pub that was on the junction of Kilmarnock Rd/Pollokshaws Rd?
It had a green exterior and quite a pretentious place. Was it Sammy Dow's?

There was also 'Minskys' the notorious underage disco. Was never in it, too old!!

Cheers
Munchinmac xx
munchinmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat May 03, 2008 3:48 pm

fingers61 wrote:I remember passing the Comet pub in Bilsland drive.It had no windows and looked like a bomb site.Its still there but I think it shut down a year or two ago although it looks the same as it always did so it might still be open

There's some activity going on but it's more to do with demolition than opening.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gallowgategal » Sat May 03, 2008 8:56 pm

munchinmac wrote:Can anyone remember the name of the bar which I think was in the basement of the ca d'ora building before the fire? (Very early 80's) The entrance was in Union Street and I remember going there on Sunday nights (electronic night for us young 'New Romantics') before making our way down to Manhatten's or Coconut Grove at the waterfront for their electo nights. Lots of posing !!

I remember going there too in the early 80's, I think it was called City Limits ??? , used to get the name mixed up with Satellite City which was the disco up in the old Apollo building 8)
have I missed anything ???
gallowgategal
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby duck » Sat May 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Danny Brown's in St. Vincent Street (I can't remember what it was called before that, then it was owned by Mark Tsang who was one of the first people to bring karaoke to Glasgow) then it was bought over and changed to Danny Browns.

As far as I can recall ( 60's 70's ), Danny Browns was quite an institution on St Vincent Street, certainly not a has been karaoke bar
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun May 04, 2008 12:38 am

"51st State - the first 'American' diner in Glasgow in Sauchiehall Street, we had roller skating waitresses and had to wear denim shorts and try to look like Daisy Duke!!!"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 968472021/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munchinmac » Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Duck

Yes, it was Danny Brown's for a long time, became something else briefly in the early 80's, then back to Danny Brown's again. It's keeping me awake at night trying to remember what it was called, cos I worked there for about 6 months and we always went to Maestro's after closing time.
Then again, I worked in so many pubs & clubs at the time. If you were there more than 6 months, you were considered stale or a liability as by that time you would have worked out the managers fiddles!!! 8O

Mark Tsang regularly went back to Japan and wanted to put karaoke in the pub, then got an offer for the premises too good to refuse and sold up. The new management called it Danny Brown's again and put us in pastel coloured skirts and T-shirts and introduced Jazz Sunday evenings and served food which we hadn't done before.

Gallowgate Gal - you are a Star!! :D

City Limits - yes - oh God they were the days!! All home made outfits a la Souxsie Sioux etc and as much makeup as you could get away with without getting thrown off the bus, then off down the Clydeside to Coconut Grove run by the Brockett Brothers. The younger one was called Brian, can't remember the older one's name.

Thanks guys and if I have a flash of inspiration, I'll shout up.

Munchinmac
xxxxx
munchinmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby THA G-MAN » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Circa, on the clyde just at the suspension bridge was great in about 92/94 ish!There was quite a cool bar above it that turned into a restaurant but can't remember the name,any help folks?? Oh,and remember the Mardi gras and the boat? TECHNO MADNESS!!
THA G-MAN
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Riotgrrl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Do any of you remember a diner called 'Buck Rogers' (I think) which was space-aged themed and had some freaky system for ordering (the details of which escape me.)

It was - I think - near Tam Shepherds in Queen Street.

This would have been early 1980s. I was at secondary school at the time and we thought it was jsut the coolest place ever . . . for about two months.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:13 pm

seek and ye shall find: :D
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154

Shame the only picture that anyone managed to find has gone from the thread.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:40 pm

On the subject of slightly odd eateries, then, how's about the Videotheque? Was in one of those wiped-from-the-face-of-the-earth warehouse streets between Argyle Street and the river, West of Central Station. Possibly the same one as the footballers' nightclub Henry Afrikas.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:46 pm

I did a great gig in there once, memorable for being supported by Glass Onion (Travis). We also managed to accidentally leave with their guitar tuner. I still have a recording of that night somewhere which I must now look out for a bit of nostalgia.

It was a terrific venue for a gig.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Josef wrote:On the subject of slightly odd eateries, then, how's about the Videotheque? Was in one of those wiped-from-the-face-of-the-earth warehouse streets between Argyle Street and the river, West of Central Station. Possibly the same one as the footballers' nightclub Henry Afrikas.

Fox St
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby John » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm

Thinking back was it not called the Videodrome?
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Josef » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:54 pm

JohnR wrote:Thinking back was it not called the Videodrome?

That would explain why it didn't show up on the search :oops: .

See Glasgow? See David Cronenberg movies? Indistinguishable.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby steviewilson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:29 am

Has anyone got any good pics of The Apollo / Greens Playhouse from the late 60s onwards? Same for the Barras area. I remember the Barras as a wee boy, there was hundreds of shells around the road, oysters or mussels, what was that about? Were they a big thing in the 70s?

Stevie
steviewilson
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects