Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby fingers61 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks Alex.Just told about this site last week.Excellant site! I'm 45 and I'm too young to remember the pub .I would think that the pub will have been demolished in the '60's, but I'm not too sure!
fingers61
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:14 pm

There was a pub on the corner of Gallowgate/Cubie St called the Shandon Bells. My Gran lived in the close above it. I know an old guy who is an expert on Gallowgate pubs of yesteryear. I'll try an mind n ask him about the Tappit Hen.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Auldeejit » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:50 am

Remember 'The Hangman's Rest' in the old Merchant City. They had a noose hanging from the ceiling!
Auldeejit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Old Glasgow Pubs

Postby john gorevan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:01 am

A great website oldglasgowpubs.co.uk will bring back memories to many of the drinkers in the city. It was I who started this page on hidden Glasgow pubs away back in April 2002. Hope you enjoy this website and would be great to here from anyone with an interest in this fascinating subject.

Cheer

John Gorevan (Glasgow Public House Historian)
john gorevan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The_Clincher » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:06 am

Good site there, John....i'll use the site contact to help with some of the Drumchapel pubs etc :)
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:36 am

The Rigg / Precinct, Girnin Gates and Linkwood Bar all in Drumchapel
:cry:
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:40 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:21 pm

robertpool wrote:check this out..re Drumchapel pub

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 385166546/

:wink:

I worked the door in a piggery of a disco at the rear of thon building .. Edward G's it was called.

Nightmare scenario.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:07 pm

I was Dj'ing in a Drumchapel establishment and no one had informed the regular DJ. He let in a minor huff taking with him his CD's, the players, his shilleleagh and a 12" knife which he then loaded into teh back of his private hire car.

I usually just carry headphones and spare carts.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The Dunrobin

Postby bobrobert » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:30 am

neilmc wrote:
myfriendstan wrote:Does anyone remember a pub called The Dunrobin in George St opposite The Georgic?

I've asked loads of people and no one recalls it. I'm beginning to think it was a figment of my imagination.

Yep, there really was a Dunrobin, on George Street just where you say it was. The building it was part of was demolished to make way for an office block. I only remember being in it once, in the late '70s/early '80s. It had a superb interior with small booths, but apparently it became decidedly dodgy towards the end.

It was owned by a guy named Fraser He used to own the Station bar in Alexandria
bobrobert
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bobrobert » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:37 am

[quote="dimairt"]My dad drank there - in fact , he drank everywhere - we lived across the road in Oakbank Terrace. It had been the Camp Bar in Camperdown St. Alan Rough bought it in the 70s and I think it may have changed name then before becoming the New Camp Bar. There was a police station at the foot of the street.
There was also a Camp Bar in Renrew St.

Le durachd,
Eddy

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... 29&r=2&t=4[/quote

I think that it got renamed the goalposts or something similar
bobrobert
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby john gorevan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:48 am

The Dunrobin is featured in my book Glasgow Pubs and Publicans with a few photographs of the interior and the proprietor at the time
john gorevan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ianw23 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:54 pm

viceroy wrote:I well remember the small downstairs lounge bar in the Norsk as I used to visit it regularly about 30 years ago. It had a typical cheesy early 70's decor as far as I can recollect. I've never been in the Variety Bar so didn't know it was no longer in use. It would certainly be fascinating to know whether it's still in situ bemeath the floor of the Variety. Incidentally, the Norsk had previously been the King's Arms but was bought over by two brickies who had made pots of money repairing damage caused by the Glasgow hurricane in January 1968 [anybody else old enough to remember that? Maybe I should start start a thread?]. They renamed it the Norsk but where the name came from I couldn't say. Obviously a Scandinavian connection somewhere.

the basement part of the norsk was where glasgow indie group the soup dragons decided on that very name, around 1985. there you go pop fans!!!

i reckon where the toilets are now in the variety is where the old basement was in the norsk, just a guess but i think that would be pretty close.
ianw23
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby theduke » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:50 am

ianw23 wrote:
viceroy wrote:I well remember the small downstairs lounge bar in the Norsk as I used to visit it regularly about 30 years ago. It had a typical cheesy early 70's decor as far as I can recollect. I've never been in the Variety Bar so didn't know it was no longer in use. It would certainly be fascinating to know whether it's still in situ bemeath the floor of the Variety. Incidentally, the Norsk had previously been the King's Arms but was bought over by two brickies who had made pots of money repairing damage caused by the Glasgow hurricane in January 1968 [anybody else old enough to remember that? Maybe I should start start a thread?]. They renamed it the Norsk but where the name came from I couldn't say. Obviously a Scandinavian connection somewhere.

the basement part of the norsk was where glasgow indie group the soup dragons decided on that very name, around 1985. there you go pop fans!!!

i reckon where the toilets are now in the variety is where the old basement was in the norsk, just a guess but i think that would be pretty close.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was The Griffin that used to be the King's Arms?
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
theduke
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Forgotten Pubs

Postby dimairt » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Duke,
You're correct - the Griffin was previously known as the King's Arms. I've just confirmed that with my dad who says that there was an old joke to go with it:
Q: Where's the King's Arms?
A: Around the Queen's a**e!

Le durachd,

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects