Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby John » Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:21 pm

Hi,
Can anyone remember the names of any Glasgow pubs and club that's now demolished. I would also like to know where the pub was situated.

Cheers
John

glasgow pubs

Postby wee anne » Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:48 am

the wee mans pub on the gallowgate and sydney st is not there anymore,torn down
wee anne

Forgotten Pubs

Postby New Glasgow Al » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:47 pm

The Right Half in George Street has gone recently. There used to be a sign in the doorway announcing that they would not tolerate rowdy behaviour.
New Glasgow Al
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Kirsty » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:18 pm

Hi everyone, my first post here. Pubs lets see....

there was "Sylvesters the Pub" on Ingram Street, I think the facade is still there, I had my first teenage tipple there!! There was also a pub on the Broomielaw called "Maxwell Plums" I think was demolished.

There was also a pub called "The Three Bells" at the corner of Springburn Road at the Old Firestation, my Grandad used to take me in there and hide me under the bar when I was a baby!! :)
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ellis Island » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:34 pm

There was the Corner Bar, a small blue (very blue nosed) pub nr. where they've built the new gorbals. Another sat opposite. The roads been closed off but it's just down from Cathcart rd. Terribly nasty looking joints.
I never understood what 'No Entry' meant.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The_Clincher » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:26 pm

Greetings all..this is my first post...nice to meet you all! :P

On the subject, i remember "The Ben More" bar, in Henderson Street, Maryhill...was knocked down cira 81/82. This pub appeared in "A sense of freedom" about Jimmy Boyle.

The bar went when the whole street (Henderson Street) was rid of tenement buildings.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:31 pm

Greetings all..this is my first post...nice to meet you all! :P

On the subject, i remember "The Ben More" bar, in Henderson Street, Maryhill...was knocked down cira 81/82. This pub appeared in "A sense of freedom" about Jimmy Boyle.

The bar went when the whole street (Henderson Street) was rid of tenement buildings.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:36 pm

Hi,

Slightly off topic but related. Can anyone tell me why, all over Glasgow, ther are pubs, just pubs, on street corners. It's obvious they used to be part of a tenement but when they knocked the tenement down (and everything else for hundreds of yards around), they left the pub, why?

David.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby partickular » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:22 pm

Ye Olde Tramcar Vaults, Hopehill Rd, Maryhill (where Taggarts Jaguar is now)

Bar 82, Dundas St, somewhere under Buchanan Galleries now!
partickular
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ronnie » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:02 am

David
The most frequent reason for pubs to be left standing, after the tenement has been demolished, is that it would have cost too much to buy out their licence. That's what I've been told, anyway.
Best, Ronnie

Anybody remember Henry Afrika's, Muscular Arms, the Georgic ... ooh I could go on for hours ...
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

pubs

Postby DickyHart » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:38 am

There was the Vulcan and baldy baynes in springburn. on springburn road across from the firestation they where about thirty yards apart. who remembers Speakers Corner at charing cross. They are just about top ull down fingals in buchanan street, which was across the road from bar 82 if memory serves.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:35 pm

How about the videodrome in York Street, trading post on the Clyde, Sinatras.
Sammy Dows in Mitchell Street down facing diamond dolls. 8O
gone now 3 course meal and a pint of heavy or lager for a £1!! (Early 80's by the way :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:52 pm

How about the Mars Bar, just off St Enoch Square? I once nearly saw Simple Minds there, long before they were famous.
Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:06 am

Or for the man about town there was 'Midas' in St Vincent Street (down stairs)
also further up the 'Saint & Sinners' that is now King Tuts.
My usual Port of call was either 'The Warehouse' or it's neighbour 'Mardis Gras' Plenty of top house tunes way back in the early days. (listen up kids)

A resurrection from the past must be 'Osmosis' at the bottom of Jamaica St. I used to haunt this place first time round.circa 1986-7. I note that it has re-opened this year.

Q. What was The Devils Advocate like ? I might have been in there. But as they say "I was very, very drunk" . @ the time
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:02 am

DVF wrote:Hi,

Slightly off topic but related. Can anyone tell me why, all over Glasgow, ther are pubs, just pubs, on street corners. It's obvious they used to be part of a tenement but when they knocked the tenement down (and everything else for hundreds of yards around), they left the pub, why?

David.

An example of this which sticks in my mind was a pub in germiston which I think was either called the wee glen or the big glen (might be getting this confused with a pub in royston road). In the 1970s there was an area of spare ground in germiston bounded by Forge st, Mull st, Coll st and Darnick st. The coll street side still had tenements (then), but the corner at Mull st/forge st had a solitary shop, and the corner at darnick st/forge st had the mentioned solitary pub (not quite, there was a bookies attached). There were no upper floors to these buildings. A less solitary picture of this pub, from the 1930s, can be seen at the virtual mitchell. Choose street search and key in Forge Street.
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects