Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby retired tiger » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:32 pm

So ye did!
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: The Goat, Partick

Postby avitacum » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:55 pm

According to a map of Partick in the1820's (published in 1873), the name of the burn nicknamed the Goat was the Shewing burn. It flowed down what is now Keith St almost directly into the Kelvin. The site south of Castlebank St was later excavated to create Partick Central station.

Another burn (the Brewster Burn) flowed down southwards a few yards to the west of Partick Cross and Partick Bridge St.

I'm new to HG but if I can work out how to attach a picture, I'll post the map for you.
avitacum
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:19 am

avitacum wrote:According to a map of Partick in the1820's (published in 1873), the name of the burn nicknamed the Goat was the Shewing burn. It flowed down what is now Keith St almost directly into the Kelvin. The site south of Castlebank St was later excavated to create Partick Central station.

Another burn (the Brewster Burn) flowed down southwards a few yards to the west of Partick Cross and Partick Bridge St.

I'm new to HG but if I can work out how to attach a picture, I'll post the map for you.

I'm not familiar with the Shewing Burn so that's a new one on me and I'd be interested to see the map.

Upload the map to Flickr, Photobucket or whatever your preferred site is; copy the image url; click on the "Img" button shown above while creating a post and then paste the image url in between the [img]imageurl[/img] and that's it.

The Brewster Burn I know of - like you said it crossed what is now Dumbarton Road immediately to the east of the entrance to Kelvinhall subway station. It's now part of the sewerage system - we have an old drawing in our work archive that shows part of the line of the burn.

retired tiger wrote:There's a large pipe where water flows at a fair rate into the Kelvin just above the bridge at Benalder Street. Could this be it?

No, that's the outfall of the subway surface water drainage system.

aliferste wrote:There are some pretty impressive pipes and such like all along the banks of the Kelvin. Next time I am down at the Partick end I will have a gander and see if I can see a Burn like outflow!

Other than the subway outfall, the rest of the outfalls along this stretch of the Kelvin are from combined sewer overflows. Have a look at them the next time there is good downpour - I can assure you the contents of what is being spewed out aren't "a burn like outflow".
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby avitacum » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:I'm not familiar with the Shewing Burn so that's a new one on me and I'd be interested to see the map.

Here's the map:

If it comes out legible, you'll see the Shewing Burn (or Goat) runs down Kelvin St and then into the Kelvin. According to my source (Napier - Notes & Reminisences of Partick) there was both the stream and a drainage ditch running down in the street in parallel. I think this is why the street is even now so wide.

[Admin edit] : Click on the map (and then click on it again) to view the larger size.
avitacum
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects