Pumping Stations

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Pumping Stations

Postby smartie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:02 pm

What Is that big building just next to the River Kelvin, at the bridge on Dumbarton Road. The one across the river from the Kelvinhall. Is it an old pumping station. does anyone know if these are still in use, some of them (I hear) are extremely ornate decor wise inside. Are there anymore of these hidden round the city.....
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

pumping station

Postby Shazbat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:43 pm

Yes i deedy, it is a pumping station and still in use. One can savour the aroma on Doors Open Day, and get a wee talk on the engineering of it all.
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby smartie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:51 pm

ooh aye, whens that ??
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:07 pm

Keep this booked marked. Its every year and well worth doing.

http://www.gbpt.org/doorsopenday/

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby smartie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:29 pm

Nice Juan !!
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:21 am

There is another pumping station beside the Maryhill Aqueduct which takes the Forth and Clyde canal over Maryhill Road. It is used to pump water UP to Gilsochill and surrounding areas, but sadly, i have yet to go inside and have a nosey around.
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

job!

Postby yourebarred » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:02 pm

Project Development Officer
advertised on doors open day site.would defo suit someone from this site!
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RPW » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:43 pm

Hey DJ Smartie

You just had to shout across the room - didnt know you were in to ornate pumping stations ::):

Anyway the open doors thing is excellent, been to a few of the places that do open up for the day - best so far has been the Official Glasgow Police Museum, had to queue for a wee while but worth the wait.

But I digress, the pumping station in Partick is thriving - there are several of them, some are now automatically operated whilst some still have a presence of sorts - some good ones on the Clyde as well from Carmyle going towards the city. I remember years ago that the one at Carmyle was excellent for fishing at, because the fish used to gather to - well the less said the better...
RPW
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Voyageur » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:42 pm

Bit confused. :?

I thought the 'doors open day' was for Cooncil Buildings only and not private companies, as i presume Scottish Water would own this building as an asset now?
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:46 pm

Doors Open Day for any place that wants to take part.

It's a great opportunity to get into places that you'd never otherwise find yourself in a postion too, only it can mean a lot of reading of lists of participants to find the ones you want, and it has to be said they're usually well buried in long lists of churches and similar.

Nothing against churches, but they do swell the lists, and always puzzle me, as most can be got into without needing a special day, unless they're closed for restoration, or just closed.

I remember the old days, when the list fitted on a fold-out piece of paper. Now, forests would be in danger if it wasn't for the web sites :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:18 pm

RPW wrote:But I digress, the pumping station in Partick is thriving - there are several of them

I'd like to mention the Kinning Park Sewage Pumping Station on the corner of Seaward St. and Milnpark St., built around 1910, still functioning and externally at least in completely original condition.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects