disused railway lines/stations in scotland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pripyat » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 am

Alycidon wrote:Interesting to note the B&Q and Sainsbury's have their names printed on the roof, being on the flightpath into Glasgow Airport. I wouldn't wonder that with the growing popularity of these combined map/arial view sites that more companies with large warehouses don't start doing this to draw attention to their sites.

I noticed :)

Here's the co-ordinates if your interest

55 degrees 53 minutes N
4 degrees 19.5 minutes W

Probably were lines to old engineering works, but seem to go
towards Anniesland cross. Did a train line pass through
there is the past, info seems thin on the net though.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:14 am

Got it.

This was the LNER Cowdenhill branch, which left the Glasgow to Helensburgh Line at Knightswood South Junction (where the Maryhill line swings East today). THis line swung in a big arc to the north west passing under Bearsden road just before it crossed the Canal. It then traced almost a complete circle to Knightswood Mineral Depot, which was at the North West corner of GWR and Bearsden Road. There was a further branch which then went off under Fulton Street (funny enough I mentioned it on the "mines" thread) to reach Netherton Works, having previously served Garscube Iron Works and a number of mines.
THe arc of the line can clearly be seen once you know what to look for.

Will post map tonight.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:06 pm

Alycidon wrote:Got it.

This was the LNER Cowdenhill branch, which left the Glasgow to Helensburgh Line at Knightswood South Junction (where the Maryhill line swings East today). THis line swung in a big arc to the north west passing under Bearsden road just before it crossed the Canal. It then traced almost a complete circle to Knightswood Mineral Depot, which was at the North West corner of GWR and Bearsden Road. There was a further branch which then went off under Fulton Street (funny enough I mentioned it on the "mines" thread) to reach Netherton Works, having previously served Garscube Iron Works and a number of mines.
THe arc of the line can clearly be seen once you know what to look for.

Will post map tonight.

Thanks for the info Alycidon :)
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:06 pm

The Great Western Road store is on the lower edge of Drumchapel, and the Anniesland one has only been closed since last December, not years.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:20 pm

glasgowken wrote:The Great Western Road store is on the lower edge of Drumchapel, and the Anniesland one has only been closed since last December, not years.

Yeah I was it before it closed down for a couple of tins of
paint.
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Map as promised. By the looks of Google Earth, the bridge under Bearsden Road and Fulton Street still exist, and the bridge abutments at Fulton Street also exist in some form

[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks again Alycidon most appreciated :)
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Painted roofs

Postby gordonjcp » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:27 pm

<i>Interesting to note the B&Q and Sainsbury's have their names printed on the roof, being on the flightpath into Glasgow Airport</i>

So does the Yarrow workshop on South Street, clearly visible from the Kingsway flats.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:13 am

Pripyat wrote:
glasgowken wrote:The Great Western Road store is on the lower edge of Drumchapel, and the Anniesland one has only been closed since last December, not years.

Yeah I was it before it closed down for a couple of tins of
paint.

That was probably half the takings for the day :)

That's interesting, it looks as if there was originally a rail bridge over Fulton Street. The road was later rebuilt, to pass over the rail lines.
The bridge is still there, i'll be down that way tomorrow, and i'll get a pic (if I remember).

EDIT Sorry, talking pish as usual, and getting arse about face. forget what I said above.
Last edited by glasgowken on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:42 pm

I went and took a photie of the wrong bridge :oops: I wish there was a delete post function I could use.

I'll get a photo of the right location soon, this is the one near the school.
Last edited by glasgowken on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:59 pm

There was a bridge over Fulton Street near where the Signals pub is. You can see the supporting walls are still there although the span has long gone. There was also a line that passed under the road a little nearer the current Knightswood Primary school.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Local Hero » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:35 pm

Schiehallion wrote:

This map must be from between 1879 and 1901 as Glasgow Central Station is still in its original state with only platforms 1 to 8 and the church marked on Hope St where platform 13 now stands.

Judging by the basic state of Ibrox Park, which is just a pitch with no stands etc marked on the map, that would further narrow the year down to between 1879 and 1887.

thanks for that.. always nice to be able to narrow it down... maybe there's a project in this.. hmm.. glasgow maps through the ages as a series over overlays on google earth.. now there's a challenge for someone!
Ah used tae be indecisive but noo ah'm nae sae sure.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby sciuro » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:05 pm

james73 wrote:
radar wrote:Ocan anyone shed any light on the station that is supposed to have been between on the former line from High Street to Bridgeton Central

i've walked this line between high street to behind some offices near bridgeton. two shortish tunnels, and a load of rubbush dumped over the high walls above.

-duncan
sciuro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:21 pm

mrlipring wrote:
Woolly Joss wrote:
His book also mentions that here used to be a third (wooden) platform at
Mount Florida which was 450 feet long, from 1937 until the sixties, which was only used for football specials at Hampden.

It was on the Inner Circle line, and was alongside the footpath that takes you down to Battlefield Road. I was quite surprised to find out about this, as I had never seen any mention of a third platform at the station before, however there doesn't seem to be any pictures of this.

very interesting. I live round the corner from moflo station. Always cool to find out new stuff about where you live. :)

Apologies for taking a full year to respond to this but I recently stumbled across this photo of the extra wooden platform at Mount Florida:

The extra platform was added in 1938 on the inner circle. Access was via a ramp from Battlefield Road as opposed to the broad stairway from Bolton Drive down to the island platform. Here you can see standard 5MT about to leave tender first for Central station on 23/4/55. Apparently Celtic and Clyde had just played out a 1-1 draw in the 1955 Scottish Cup Final watched by 106,000. 8O No wonder they needed extra trains.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:11 pm

A photo of the remaining bridge abutment in Fulton Street (the correct one this time :oops: ).

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects