disused railway lines/stations in scotland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Doberman » Thu May 26, 2005 6:42 pm

Hi Alycidon

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to place everything on the ground as I see it when out with the dog. I had no idea that this railway line was so well used!
Brilliant pictures BTW.
I'm reading through the Monklands page just now.

Thanks.

Doberman.
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:46 pm

To get back to the Rutherglen thread, my own curiosity was to much and for the princely sum of £5 (including postage) I ordered the two Rutherglen maps. This shows the full layout of the station as it was at it's peak. Quite impressive.

Incidentally there is enough on these maps to start a whole new thread.

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Alycidon wrote:To get back to the Rutherglen thread, my own curiosity was to much and for the princely sum of £5 (including postage) I ordered the two Rutherglen maps. This shows the full layout of the station as it was at it's peak. Quite impressive.

Incidentally there is enough on these maps to start a whole new thread.

Great picture. The current eastbound slow line in that image - it seems to
have two platform faces? :?: :?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:22 pm

I once saw photographs of the goods yard at Mount Florida,As far as I remember it was a coal yard that filled up horse drawn carts for delivery.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:45 pm

yep.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:03 pm

OK, first the Mount Florida Goods Closure Date - 23rd January 1961.

Regarding Rutherglen, The current eastbound slow line did have two platform faces. The reason for this is that the staion grew in a piecemeal fashion.
01/06/1849 - Clydesdale Junction Railway opened between Motherwell and Rutherglen. The Caledonian Railway begins running trains to South Side station, Glasgow. First two platforms on the main line.
24/06/1861(?) - Rutherglen to Dalmarnock goods opened along with a bridge over the River Clyde. probably no extension to the platform facilities (This date is quoted on Ewan Crawford's Website but I cannot confirm it in any books and the old map of 1864 does not show the line)
01/08/1866 - Rutherglen to Coatbridge opened to passengers, possible date for the creation of the two island platforms
01/04/1879 - London Road opened for passengers. New platforms at Rutherglen on the East to North Curve , stations opened at Dalmarnock and London Road.
By 1892 the two island platforms on the main line and the through platforms on the East to North Curve can be seen on the town plan that can be found at http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/townplans/glasgow_2_southeast.html
01/11/1895 The Glasgow Central (low level) Railway,opened to passengers between Rutherglen and Glasgow Cross, the station was again extended to cope with the 260 services using this line and as Rutherglen was one of the Eastern Termini for these services the three terminal platforms were built, along with the two through platforms on the North to East Curve for services to Coatbridge, Airdrie and Motherwell.
The extra face to the eastbound slow line looks like it was built as a link platform connecting the terminal platforms with the through platforms. There is still a footpath along it's surface and this can be seen on David Kirkwood's photosite
http://davids.railway.fotopic.net/p13511770.html is a good example. There is also a photograph of the old through platform in use at http://www.eastbank.btinternet.co.uk/images/Units/set11.jpg

Hope this is of some interest!

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:44 pm

JBH fantastic as always,I have looked at aerial view and it is all starting to make sense.I have often wondered if there was an emergency situation at Central station that Rutherglen would be used as disembarkment point.I dare say its not public knowledge but what would happen in an emergency situation at Central?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:18 pm

if there was an emergency situation at Central station that Rutherglen would be used as disembarkment point

The old platform would not be used as the HSE would have to be given documentation to say that it was fit for use, (in case anyone tripped and fell on the broken tarmac etc). It is almost impossible to do anything nowadays without first having everything proceduralized.

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby radar » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:52 pm

As JBH states, it is impossible to get anything done on todays railways without bureaucratic rubber stamps. Once upon a time the railways were run by professional railwaymen and those that set the rules and standards were from that background. Today there are some areas which have been downskilled but far worse is the fact that those setting the standards seem to have little or no professional knowledge of railways and try and adopt inappropriate standards for the industry.

Ok thats the rant, off the soapbox and getting back on track of the thread, can anyone shed any light on the station that is supposed to have been between on the former line from High Street to Bridgeton Central. I think it was called Gallowgate but don't know when it opened or closed, just know it wasn't open when the Blue Trains started in 1960.
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:14 am

radar wrote:Ok thats the rant, off the soapbox and getting back on track of the thread, can anyone shed any light on the station that is supposed to have been between on the former line from High Street to Bridgeton Central. I think it was called Gallowgate but don't know when it opened or closed, just know it wasn't open when the Blue Trains started in 1960.

Info here courtesy of JBH!

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby radar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:47 am

Thanks for the link, at least the line was documented before it's demise. Didn't know about the spur round to the G&SW.
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:40 am

radar wrote:Didn't know about the spur round to the G&SW.

Yet another tunnel :D

Originally opened to faciiltate the "bus train" services between Shields Road/St Enoch/Bridgeton and Shettleston. The services succumbed to competition from the trams and were withdrawn in the early years of the last century. I think the tunnel was filled in at that point but stand to be corrected.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:37 pm

radar wrote:As JBH states, it is impossible to get anything done on todays railways without bureaucratic rubber stamps. Once upon a time the railways were run by professional railwaymen and those that set the rules and standards were from that background. Today there are some areas which have been downskilled but far worse is the fact that those setting the standards seem to have little or no professional knowledge of railways and try and adopt inappropriate standards for the industry.

In these litigious times, when drunks sue us for falling down platform stairs, the bureaucratic rubber stamping is needed. Certainly within the TOC's there are plenty of professional railway people. The standards today are stringent - from a safety point of view that's no bad thing.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Techno4yourhead » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:28 pm

Techno4yourhead
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Woolly Joss » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:23 pm

Schiehallion wrote:On the subject of disused lines, it was only recently I discovered that there used to be a goods yard at Mount Florida where the 2 tower blocks on Battlefield Road now stand.

Anyone got anymore on when it ceased operating.

Here it is on the 1892 ordnance survey map.

Several stations on the Cathcart Circle had goods yards as well as Mount Florida; there was one at Cathcart (where the Barrat flats have been built in the last year or two) which closed on 05/04/1965 and Muirend (where the retirement flats were are). There were also yards at Pollokshaws East (closed 01/06/1959) and Maxwell Park (closed 06/01/1964).

Above info is from Jack Kernahan's excellent 1980 book "The Cathcart Circle", well worth a read if you can get your hands on it.

His book also mentions that here used to be a third (wooden) platform at
Mount Florida which was 450 feet long, from 1937 until the sixties, which was only used for football specials at Hampden.

It was on the Inner Circle line, and was alongside the footpath that takes you down to Battlefield Road. I was quite surprised to find out about this, as I had never seen any mention of a third platform at the station before, however there doesn't seem to be any pictures of this.
Woolly Joss
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects