Hamilton - in days gone by

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hamilton - in days gone by

Postby excoriate » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Squigster wrote:Being from High Blantyre, much to my embarrassment I don't know where this site is - Could someone give me approx directions (may only saving grace is the I left when I was 18) :oops:

I only know the one up from Hillhouse/Earnock.

when I look back now, it was some trek from my house on Townhill Rd up there. I wonder how far away from the house a mother would let her 6 year old wander without calling the police for a missing child!

excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Squigster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Cheers for that excoriate, I know exactly where it is now. I use to walk up to the (now drained), reservoir nearby. And when I was a bit older used to cycle to Strathaven via the road beside it
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby excoriate » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Squigster wrote:Cheers for that excoriate, I know exactly where it is now. I use to walk up to the (now drained), reservoir nearby. And when I was a bit older used to cycle to Strathaven via the road beside it

Any idea why the pond just down from it existed? Old quarry or collapsed mineworkings?

Also, I remember walking over mine spoil up that way but found no sign of a bing.

I'll be down the library trying to find out over the next few saturdays I think!
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Squigster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:08 pm

As far as I was aware, it used to be a trout fishery for exclusive use by the police. But I can't categorically confirm this as it was more of a kind of rumour as opposed to a fact, but I do remember seeing people actually fish in it

I have no idea if it was created for the purpose, or if it was filled in and thus used. I look forward to hearing the results of your research
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 pm

I grew up in Earnock, Bourtree road, in the first phase built in the 60's. The pond your talking about being I'm supposing the one just before you get to the Limekiln at Parkneuk shown in the pictures? Locally it was known as "the 40 feet" and if yer mum found out you'd been there you'd get your arse tanned! It was at the time popularly supposed to be a flooded mineshaft.
The town refuse dump was just a bit further up Newhousemill road and that was another popular port of call when we were kids. Round the corner in Muttonhole road there was a reservoir that fed the town. It was filled in in the 80's after contaminated groundwater started seeping into it from the nearby landfills. If you went the length of Newhousemill road there was a wartime radar warning station on the left before you got to EK, now lost to landfill
In terms of limekilns, a short walk around Limekiln burns on the Strathaven road will as the name suggests reveal a few more. There are also several gun emplacements there and the remains of the curling pond with it's burn channelled roon the side.
There was a whacking great big bing hanging just above Meikle Earnock, it's now all houses!
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects