Big Tunnel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Big Tunnel

Postby helsinki » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:02 am

A mate of mine has an uncle who once met a guy in a pub somewhere in glasgow who told him that his wee cousins best pals big sisters ex boyfriend says there is a big tunnel running form Whiteinch under the Clyde to linthouse. Its so big buses (double deckers) can use it. A photo would be appreciated 8O
helsinki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:11 am

I've also heard this rumour too! But it was from your mates uncles brother who heard it from his dads best mates cousin twice removed though!

Incidently, he was making a secret delivery of freshly baked loaves at the time!!. I could say more but I'm sworn to secrecy regarding furtive bread deliveries around the city :D
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Nikki » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:54 pm

Wouldn't that be the Clyde Tunnel?
Nikki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:20 pm

:)
It would indeed.

Took me a moment, that'n!
:p
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby caine » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:41 pm

boom boom tsiiii! ::):
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:02 pm

ohh the banter ::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

clyde tunnel

Postby duncan » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:12 pm

getting serious for a minute though.... isn't there a 3rd tunnel in the middle, for emergency access (ambulances and the like)? and all those little doors and gates visible in the pedestrian tunnels look interesting.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:14 pm

you know i've yet to walk through the pedestrian tunnel!

don't know about an emergency tunnel though...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

tunnels

Postby duncan » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:44 pm

there's lots of entertaining graffiti in both pedestrian tunnels, if you like that kind of thing. i'll try and find a source about this 3rd tunnel...

also, i wonder if anyone (graeme?) knows much about this tunnel in edinburgh:
http://www.ednet.co.uk/~mctavish/tunnel.html

I've not seen the entrance at Waverley, but i'll keep an eye out for it next time i'm through.

the entrance to the "short tunnel" at Scotland Street is get-in-able, if you fancy climbing the steel fence (I nearly did one day, but wasn't suitably equipped so chickened out). didn't realise it was just a short one though, but might still try it sometime.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:30 am

Duncan, do you mean a 3rd tunnel capable of taking road vehicles?
I would doubt it going by the tunnel bores for the North & South roads coupled with the cycle/pedestrain tunnels I wouldn't reckon there would be any room left?

You can see an access portal in the middle of the road tunnel that I assume is to save service workers having a long walk round to enter either tunnel.

I meant to get down the pedestrian tunnel a few years back when they had an Urban Art thing going on down there, anyone remember it ?(mid 90's I think). Or a few pics of it even?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:32 am

yeah, for some reason i thought there was an access tunnel for ambulances and fire engines, in the event of an emergency in the road tunnel. maybe i'm thinking of the channel tunnel! it seems to me that the two road tunnels are far enough apart that this wouldn't be impossible. where abouts would you say the pedestrian tunnels are in relation to the road tunnels, do they run beside/underneath/over the road tunnels?

there was a thing in the tunnels about 1999/2000. they'd closed off one of the pedestrian tunnels for ages (a year+ ?) while it was being setup. they painted over all the graffiti with white paint. then they'd setup coloured lights along the tunnel walls, which was quite nice. they also had one bit installed on the pedestrian railings, a tube you could look in and see little photos of the original graffiti. was ok, i have a few photos from this kicking around
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:02 am

I had a look, using the wayback machine, for the old clydetunnel.org site that was used for the "art installation" a few years back. It claims the passenger tunnels are directly below the road tunnels.

From January 2001...
http://web.archive.org/web/20010124014900/http://www.clydetunnel.org/
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cycle tunnel

Postby Seamey » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:20 am

Must admit the cycle tunnel always gave me the willies. Loud large extraction fans at the bottom and then turning corners never knowing if the local cherubs had short circuited the lights out. And then there was that long slow climb out.

Yours a big wimp

Seamey
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:31 am

if you can stomach the stench of stale p*ss then good luck to you! ::): it stinks down there!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: cycle tunnel

Postby james73 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:39 pm

Seamey wrote:Must admit the cycle tunnel always gave me the willies. Loud large extraction fans at the bottom and then turning corners never knowing if the local cherubs had short circuited the lights out. And then there was that long slow climb out.

Yours a big wimp

Seamey

I cycled it for the first and only time (in the wrong direction :oops: ) a few
weeks back. Couldn't believe how fast I went as I first entered the tunnel,
but the bill was pretty hefty, with a long, slow climb out the other side... :?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects