Glasgow Graveyards

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Graveyards

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:22 am

What an amazing map! The rest of the site is very interesting too. Can anyone see the photos/illustrations? I'm just getting the wee red cross. :(
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:35 am

I can't see them either.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

DOORS OPEN DAY

Postby mrsam » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Govan Old Parish church in doors open day list - Go see it - Its a must for any lover of stone carvings!!!

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Cumbernauld Old Parish Church

Some really great old headstones to be found in here...

(thats not graffiti, some on the stones have a painted codenumber)

(front)

(back)

"The original foundation was late 12th-early 13th century; the present church building was erected in 1650, and has had several later additions such as the North Aisle, additional storey, galleries with exterior stairs and tall south windows. The earliest inscription in the graveyard is 1625."
(I nicked this bit of blurb off Geograph :) )
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am

Still after nearly 6 years one of the best threads on HG
Necropolis at sun down.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Some more pictures from Craigton Cemetery

For more information on the Arctic explorer Benjamin Leigh Smith see the Wikipedia entry here.

I had never noticed this stone before with its rather quirky inscription, but then it was lying on the ground almost hidden from view by some undergrowth.

There was a 19th century author called William Gunnyon who edited the complete works of Robert Burns and I think this may well be the same individual. His gravestone is probably nearby, but I didn’t have time to go hunting for it. In any case so many of the stones have toppled over face downwards, the result either of human agency or of subsidence, that I probably wouldn’t have found it anyway.

As for J. Affleck Robertson, he seems to have emigrated to Australia and made his pile there. An Internet search produced the Victoria Government Gazette dated April 10th 1896, on page 1748 of which can be found a list of shareholders of the Percydale Chlorination & Gold Mining Company, including the aforementioned individual, who is described as a gentleman, of Melbourne. The entry in the Gazette is an application to formally register this company. Also among the shareholders is an H. Affleck Robertson, referred to as a married lady, also of Melbourne and presumably his wife. Being a shareholder in a gold mine and having a good head for figures is, I imagine, a potentially lucrative combination, so no doubt Mr. J.A. Robertson had good reason to be grateful to his old teacher.

I liked the lettering and decoration on this stone, stylistically very characteristic of its period, I think.

Francis John Charles Lilly was the founder of the construction company FJC Lilley.

It was quite a well known firm in the west of Scotland at one time. I remember having dealings with them in the early 1980’s. But something in the back of my mind tells me they fell by the wayside about 20 years ago. Maybe they were taken over and are still trading under a different name.

viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby charlie mckenzie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

I recall as a boy walking through an old graveyard on the corner of Edinburgh rd and Stepps rd in the east end. The stones where flush with the grass and very worn. Some of you may remember the site being right next to the imfamous pub The PHOENIX. The only clue left nowadays is the high quality wall still surrounding the site, its available on google maps.If anyone has any information to confirm my recollections please feel free to share.cheers.
charlie mckenzie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby viceroy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:47 pm

I was intrigued by this headstone in Craigton Cemetery, my attention caught not just by the sad demise of Thomas Fletcher in January 1936 but also by the inscription at the bottom of the stone, which seems to indicate an act of extreme altruism on his part.

A little bit of research unearthed this item from the Evening Times of 17th January 1936:

“GLASGOW MAN SUCCUMBS TO INJURIES

As the result of injuries sustained last night while
he attempted to stop a runaway horse, Thomas
Fletcher (53), 37 Summertown Road, died in the
Victoria Infirmary today. Fletcher was dragged
a distance of 60 yards and sustained internal
and spinal injuries. The horse, which was yoked
to a coal lorry, was driven by Fletcher’s son,
who had left it in Edmiston Drive. The horse
took fright and bolted. In Broomloan Road
Fletcher succeeded in stopping it.”

A tragic tale indeed and also a pretty heroic thing to do. A horse and cart out of control could do a lot of damage, and not just to property.

Incidentally, I have been looking through quite a lot of old (pre-War) editions of the Evening Times at the Mitchell Library recently. What a vastly superior newspaper it was in those days in terms of its news coverage and quality of journalism, compared to the pathetic, shoddy, lazy reporting of its 21st Century counterpart!
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Cracking post, this is what I love about HG, it's what what keeps me looking in. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:43 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Cracking post, this is what I love about HG, it's what what keeps me looking in. :wink:

Agree entirely, some of the recent posts have been superb.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:09 pm

I had to go see this place after reading through this thread again.

A visit to Calton Cemetery

A lovely walk along the Clyde to Glasgow Green, then into the Peoples Palace for a cuppa( the place was boiling 8O )
I was surprised how close to Glasgow Green the cemetery is, but was grateful for not having a long way to go.
A very sparse place and sad looking, yet it holds many gems of historical interest.

minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

western necropolis

Postby north glasgow dave » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:27 am

was in western necropolis last week an ah saw loads of headstones piled up(quite neatly).when i ask one of the council guys why, he told me they were put there cos they were a danger to public safety. ,...hmmmm 8O
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brigadoon46 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:03 pm

I guess you have heard that the late Jimmy Black's 1992 book 'The Glasgow Graveyard Guide' is due out this month (I think)? I see that it's updated and revised, so let's hope it does the trick.
brigadoon46
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrsam » Fri May 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Any body got any details on this forlorn place, looks like some recumbant stones remain but under soil / debris. Also door is locked so I didn't want to disturb.

Sign

Site

Where it's near

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects