Return the QE2 to the Clyde

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Should the QE2 return to the Clyde permanently in her retirement?

yes
91%
no
9%

Total votes : 54

Postby paladin » Thu May 12, 2005 3:33 am

turbozutek wrote:That is... Quite the longest post... Ever!

8)

Seconded. 8)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu May 12, 2005 6:03 am

It was missing the bit at the end where I have to select that I agree to the terms and conditions.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return the QE2 to the Clyde

Postby greywolf45 » Thu May 12, 2005 8:52 am

Vladimir wrote:Half our ships are sitting in a museum in San Diego in California :evil:

I know Vladimir, and i wish there's something that could be done about it. But at least they did not go the way of most ships of their era. The Queen Mary is still in one piece, and still the largest ocean liner ever built. Even our own USS United States is still around, moored to a pier in Philedelphia, Pa.. The Big "U" is in a state of disrepair, but still afloat, so is the Queen Mary.

I would like to see the QE2 placed into a dry dock, and undergo a total refit, and placed back in service. Just because something's old doesn't mean it's no longer useful.
greywolf45
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: The Pride of the Clyde

Postby Sharon » Thu May 12, 2005 9:13 am

Jsweeneypm wrote:It should also be noted that the QE2 will have massive scope for use in a multitude of commercial ventures; you have a ready made Berlitz rated five star hotel, capable of accommodating 1,777, it’s Royal Promenade Shopping Centre, which includes a Harrods outlet, world class conference and leisure facilities, and a host of world beating restaurants already on board, such as the Queens Grill, Mauretania Restaurant, Lido Restaurant, and Britannia Grill. The potential of this ship’s use as a commercial concern is virtually infinite…

Interesting point about it being fuelled by pure sentimentality. Perhaps, but even if the awareness of the Clyde’s heritage of building these historic liners is still in considerable evidence, how long do you think that could be sustained in the future, especially when the QE2 is out of sight and out of mind? It is vital that this ambition is realised for the sake of reasserting the position of the Clyde as the focus of Glasgow and it’s hinterland, and establishing an enduring symbol of the Clyde Valley at the apex of it’s heavy industrial era.

As I said before over on SSC, “bringing the vessel back to the Clyde would pay massive dividends culturally and economically, as she would form a principal psychological conduit in re-anchoring the river as the focus of the city, thus retying our cultural heart to the sea and our maritime heritage, which would of course help bring about a re-invigoration in smaller scale river traffic in the Upper Clyde, as the modern commercial Port is now almost exclusively located in the Firth, one of the grandest natural harbours in the World.

I agree and feel that the current sterility on the Clyde does explain why most people are under the impression that there is no contemporary Shipbuilding industry, though I think the mainstream public are pretty well aware of our maritime heritage (The Clyde Room at the Transport Museum paying more than most acknowledge to that). I would imagine that given the QE2’s iconic status, in-fact it is quite possibly the most famous vessel afloat, attempting to achieve government backing financially and in principal would be a pretty credible, and it is also a British flagged Merchant Naval vessel so there would be no issues there…”

:)

Jsweeneypm.

I'll pretty much reiterate much of what you have said here. It could bring so much to wherever it docks. It would literally be a case of shipping in conference centres, hotels, shopping and a HUGE tourist attraction. What would it cost to create something even remotely comparable on land at the moment?

The value in an emotional connection shouldnt be undrestimated either, its this that helps people have a sense of place, identity and belonging.

There is currently little or no reason for people to go near the Clyde as there is literally nothing there, and very little to look at. Undoubtedly people do go down to Pacific Quay and wander about the Science Centre and tower... but this still has little to do with the river. Even with plans for the transport museum, and bridges, there is sitll not really anything focusing on the river. To do that boats are needed! BIG boats. The visual impact that the QE11 would have would be awesome and unforgettable, and would connect people to the heritage of the Clyde as well as adding something more than a museum to the river. At the moment it really seems like the river is treated rather like it gets in the way!

And it would be fantastic to see the QE11 ducking under the Erskine Bridge.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Thu May 12, 2005 9:59 am

Just one practical point, if the QE2 were to be moored at Govan, would there be any implications on the size of shipping which thereafter visit the upper reaches? Or has the lack of dredging already created that situation?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby teclo » Thu May 12, 2005 10:58 am

While we are at it, can we have a campaign to bring the Cutty Sark back to Dumbarton??

I hate that it is moored in Greenwich and that the english seem to have claimed it as their own.

Such a famous and iconic vessel that should go home...
teclo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu May 12, 2005 11:03 am

Meantime the Carrick lies in state in Irvine (Any news Clincher?) :?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Thu May 12, 2005 11:05 am

I'd also like to campaing for the return of the HMS Pearl Necklace.

Too long now it's been in dry dock at crack's end.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu May 12, 2005 12:37 pm

Thank you so much for that post Jsweenypm (and in case you hadn't twigged already I'm gweilo). As usual I am in awe of your knowledge! If you can give me a chance to read it through properly I will get back to you.

BTW couldn't agree more with you regarding Melanie Reid! Whenever she feels the need to pronounce on Greek Thomson or Glasgow's built heritage in general I cringe. She reveals a worryingly slight grasp of the subject and I was gobsmacked when she actually had the temerity to suggest demolishing the St Vincent Street church! I'm amused to hear that she's up to the same tricks here! Usually when I don't know about something I tend to keep my mouth shut. Guess its Melanie's job not to!

I am now wishing I had set up a poll on this subject as I was trying to gauge general public interest amongst Glasgwegians and west coasters. Hence why I thought Hidden Glasgow was a better forum for this than Skyscrapercity. Generating 701 views since Monday seems pretty good to me. So were do we take this to next? Can I retrospectively set up a poll?
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu May 12, 2005 12:41 pm

Classy, if you go back to your opening post in this thread and edit it you should be able to add a poll. If it doesn't work let me know. :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu May 12, 2005 12:42 pm

Thanks Sharon. I'll have a go!
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 pm

Just tried... doesn't seem to have worked! Help!
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu May 12, 2005 1:02 pm

Thats more like it! Didn't realise you had to fill in the options bit!
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu May 12, 2005 1:08 pm

Sorted ;)

Now let the voting commence!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu May 12, 2005 1:49 pm

Look at the impact Concorde had for visitor numbers at East Fortune and thats just since March!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4539633.stm

Just think what an effect the QE2 would have on tourism on the Clyde!
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects