Necropolis

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Necropolis

Postby DickyHart » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:59 pm

Does anyone know whats behind this black door at the necropolis, i know they store some stuff here like lawmnowers etc. but there must be something else in here!!!

heres a link to a photo of it, the door at the end of the bridge is the one I mean!!

http://www.pete.gontier.org/static/medi ... opolis.jpg
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:03 pm

Ronnie is the man to answer this with authority...but he assured us previously, it really is just lawnmowers :( highly disappointing!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi Dick
The building, designed by John Bryce, is known as the Facade. It was originally built as the entrance to catacombs, but these were never built. So the space behind the doors only extends as far as the rock face, around two or three metres. It's where they store the big lawnmowers, as well as any of the bronzes or statuary that is are danger of falling off the back of a hearse, if you get my meaning.
Thanks, Sharon, for the "authority".
Best, Ronnie
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:47 pm

That is somewhere I plan to go this summer. Call it morbid if you like, but cemetaries totally fascinate me. I took these photos of my local one last October:

http://colin.mylogic.net/ue/cambusnethan_cemetary/
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:08 pm

I always wanted to check out some of the higher-up tombs that seem to go back a ways into the hill, but the presence of sleeping bags and needles always somewhat dissuaded me :(
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 pm

Hi Knowledge
Nice pics of Cambusnethan. Thanks. You'll love the Necropolis If you're not scared of sleeping bags, of course).
Great to see a cemetery thread on the board!
Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

City of the dead

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:33 pm

Well:

This is the spiritual heartland of glasgow. The source of the: "Dear green hollows", which the welsh is derived from Glascae to Glasgow. Previously the sight of a roman fortification, and of course the molendinar is buried beneath the road that goes under the bride of sighs and connects the world of the living (the cathedral) with that of the dead.

Modern planners have really messed up this beautiful and peaceful part of Glasgow, and now the Roystonhill high rise flats break the landscape, beyond the hiss of the M8. Talk about the profound coexisting with the rididulous and dangerous. The Necropolis is an under valued gem of architectural and cultural significance, and as part of Glasgow's heritage its a wonder that the Council hasn't demolished it, as they recently did with the Townhead public library(1906). If you visit here during the day, you'll still feel the air of spirituality pervade the air, in what is a genuinely holy place of celtic and Christian regard.

The heart of Glasgow beats here, and maybe that's why it is so quiet.

Robert Kelly.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

NecroMission

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:41 pm

An episode of taggart was filmed here, with a famous english actress girating in one of the ionic tombs in a mere slip, whilst a wind machine pummeled her scantily clad frame. Also: a well known Glasgow university lecturer was known to frequent the area for "meetings" with like minded men.
It is actually quite safe if you can overlook the married men looking for some
light relief with other closet cases, and the high climb up to the tombs tends to put off most drug abusers. I've never once encountered any problems in this area, and if you do, The Royal is quite handy for visits to casualty after those random acts of urban violence that so define city life these days.
Anyone care to visit the Necropolis at night?

All the best
Robert KElly.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DJB » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:41 pm

Sorry to but in on this post, but I've heard that there are some excellent views of Glasgow from the necropolis although I've never ventured up there.

Are there any links to sites with pics taken of Glasgow from up there, or any other glasgow panoramas?

Cheers
DJB
DJB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:52 pm

well, you should get yourself up there for a walk. You get a fantastic view over the city.

I've yet to lug my tripod up there to shoot some panoramas, but there are plans ... so someday! I've actually got loads still to sort out and publish... again someday.

But you should definately take a walk, the view from around the Knox monument (hes not buried there - i believe) is worth seeing.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DJB » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:11 pm

Cool!

Panoramas of Glasgow are extremely hard to come by, a couple of christmas's ago my GF got me one by a guy called Fraser Halkett taken from the Cathkin Braes, but it was a bit of a struggle to find one. The only other one I've seen is from Colin Prior and is just of the west end.

There are some great vantage points in the city and I think it's a bit of a shame that more people haven't taken panormas of the Dear Green Place!

Have you got any links to any panoramas?

Cheers
DJB
DJB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:50 pm

....i'm sure the mitchell has these for sale. views over glasgow i think....
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:59 pm

Hi Sharon
Knox is buried behind St Giles Cathedral, in the High Street in Edinburgh, in car parking space number 44.
Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deebers » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:19 pm

Can I ask Ronnie when the next Necropolis tour is as I would really like to go?

And also does anyone know if there have been any murders or bodies of junkies/homeless people found in the Necropolis in the last 50 or 60 years?

Are there any records of people being attacked there?

If you don't know - how would I find out?

Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:12 pm

Hi Deebers

I'm planing my next "public" trip for around the end of March, once the worst of the weather is over, but I am always up for taking an organised group (like the ghosthunters) at a time that suits them.

No "deid boadies" as far as I know, but some attacks on lone females, usually backpacking tourists, for money, cameras and stuff. The local copshop would have the records. Or Ricky Simpson, the resident caretaker, whose family have lived there for a couple of generations.

Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects