the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:57 am

I was just about to post more or less the same photos - it's at the end of my street
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: Salsburgh

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Post them, Mooshi, your camera is probably better than mine :oops:
User avatar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8925
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Postby mooshimooshisan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:47 am

It's really not! I will try and fish them out tho :)
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: Salsburgh

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:02 pm

ibtg wrote:Did there not used to be underground loos at Finnieston Street (on the 'island' in front of PC World)

Image
User avatar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8925
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:48 pm

http://www.nordarchitecture.com/publicconv.html#


Kelvingrove Park Public Convenience

The existing public toilets are built into an embankment at the periphery of Kelvingrove Park, one of Glasgow’s finest Victorian green spaces. On the street side the toilets face onto Woodlands, a large residential area of the city where tenant occupied flatted housing exceeds owner occupied dwellings. To service this area it is proposed that a communal facility is introduced in the form of a laundry or ‘Steamie’ as they were called historically in Glasgow. Before launderettes and washing machines were widespread, Glasgow’s housewives met up at the ‘Steamie’ to wash the family laundry and exchange gossip; they were places of communal activity and vibrant social interaction.

Image

Image
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby motman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:05 pm

Mori wrote:http://www.nordarchitecture.com/publicconv.html#


Kelvingrove Park Public Convenience

The existing public toilets are built into an embankment at the periphery of Kelvingrove Park, one of Glasgow’s finest Victorian green spaces. On the street side the toilets face onto Woodlands, a large residential area of the city where tenant occupied flatted housing exceeds owner occupied dwellings. To service this area it is proposed that a communal facility is introduced in the form of a laundry or ‘Steamie’ as they were called historically in Glasgow. Before launderettes and washing machines were widespread, Glasgow’s housewives met up at the ‘Steamie’ to wash the family laundry and exchange gossip; they were places of communal activity and vibrant social interaction.

Image

Image


Whit????? A STEAMIE nowadays :roll: This has got to be a spoof site. Ah'm looking behind me as I type for a candid camera.

<<quote. Glasgow’s housewives met up at the ‘Steamie’ to wash the family laundry and exchange gossip; they were places of communal activity and vibrant social interaction. unquote >>
Aye right :wink: When I was a wee boy at Harthill steamie/baths in Govan, my memories are limited to blue fug, wifies rabbiting oan and oan, getting a belt when daring to gon in there and being told to get back to the baths.
I somehow cannae see that nostaligic atmosphere being recreated in the go-getting naughties.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:49 am
Location: Ashford, the Garden (aye right) of England

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:58 pm

motman wrote:Whit????? A STEAMIE nowadays :roll: This has got to be a spoof site. Ah'm looking behind me as I type for a candid camera.


I somehow cannae see that nostaligic atmosphere being recreated in the go-getting naughties.


it'd be "Heh Senga fancy a wee session o that tai chi on ra podium"

::):
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Herald

Row over plan to turn park toilet into a health food cafe

Another row over commercial enterprise being given a foothold in public parks has erupted - this time over plans to transform a disused Victorian toilet block into a health foods cafe.

Plans for a 30-seater restaurant specialising in organic and health foods as well as drinks have already been granted permission in principle for the C-listed Queens Rooms - which have lain empty in Glasgow's Kelvingrove Park for 25 years.

However, the team behind the proposal face a string of objections, chief among them the principle that a public building is being used for commercial purposes.
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby alzaman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Is the one on St Vincent St @ Buchanan St part of the same network, or one of the surviving originals?
User avatar
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:10 am

Re:

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 pm

russ wrote:A friend of mine had proposed the transformation of the public toilets just off Glasford Street into a photographic gallery to the council.....He had the first exhibit all sorted out he knew the last two attendants for the Woman and the Mens toilets. They met on the job and were married and worked there until there retirement. He was going to photograph them and tell their story. .....


The ubiquitous Mr & Mrs Ploppy no doubt.
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Postby Avenger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 pm

There was one at Queens Cross, the junction of Maryhill Road and Garscube Road across from the Rennie Mackintosh church, there was also one at Georges Cross, the end of Maryhill Road. I only recall seeing gents, were they all men only or were some for ladies?
User avatar
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Postby myfriendstan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Slightly off topic. Can we get our signs in Gaelic/English?

Image
User avatar
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Re:

Postby thelonerover » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 am

Raddled_Old_Queen wrote:
russ wrote:A friend of mine had proposed the transformation of the public toilets just off Glasford Street into a photographic gallery to the council.....He had the first exhibit all sorted out he knew the last two attendants for the Woman and the Mens toilets. They met on the job and were married and worked there until there retirement. He was going to photograph them and tell their story. .....


The ubiquitous Mr & Mrs Ploppy no doubt.


I've just come past these on the bus, or at least what's left of them. Digger was pulling rubble out of the rooms below ground. Sorry I was too slow for photos. Are they redeveloping them or just making way for traffic?
thelonerover
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Coincidentally, two pictures of Wilson Street from Glassford Street taken last week

Image

Image
User avatar
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Postby dimairt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Avenger wrote:There was one at Queens Cross, the junction of Maryhill Road and Garscube Road across from the Rennie Mackintosh church, there was also one at Georges Cross, the end of Maryhill Road. I only recall seeing gents, were they all men only or were some for ladies?


That's correct. There was a public toilet (Gents) at almost every cross in Glasgow. There was usually a public phone and a Police box too.
See
Le durachd,

Eddy

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index ... 5&start=15
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index ... opic=13880
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:53 am

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests

cron