the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Postby BillM » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:28 am

Well Edinburgh seem to have been able to preserve their underground toilets, so why no Glasgow?
BillM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:34 am

Possibly something to do with the average Edinburgher being full of shit :wink:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 am

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Edinburgh's council realises it could save some money by shutting theirs too...

I can dimly remember loos where you still had to pay to get into a cubicle (2p I think?), via some Edwardian-looking brass handled contraption a bit like a coin-fed electricity meter. Wonder when they were finally got rid of?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Edinburgh's council realises it could save some money by shutting theirs too...

I can dimly remember loos where you still had to pay to get into a cubicle (2p I think?), via some Edwardian-looking brass handled contraption a bit like a coin-fed electricity meter. Wonder when they were finally got rid of?

I think Ryanair bought all of those and expect to install them in aircraft over the next few years.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:Coincidentally, two pictures of Wilson Street from Glassford Street taken last week

I noticed this yesterday. And the police box has gone too. I used to love that bit of the street :(
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:28 am

BillM wrote:Well Edinburgh seem to have been able to preserve their underground toilets, so why no Glasgow?

The current issue of The Dram mentions that Edinburgh Council is planning to reduce the number of public toilets (it doesn't mention underground or overground) from 30 to 15.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 am

And the Wilson Street bogs disappear without a trace.

From 20 October 2010
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:05 am

BillM wrote:Well Edinburgh seem to have been able to preserve their underground toilets, so why no Glasgow?

Edinburgh's council doesn't hate its citizens with the same intensity that Glasgow's does.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Can remember using the Govan x ones regularly through 70's and 80's and the St enochs sq ones in 80's also. Having lived in Edinburgh for 13 years cant think of any underground loos at all never mind in the same mould as Glasgows.
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 pm

I was on the number 18 bus last night and spotted that there has been a collapse at the underground lavvy on London Road at The Barras. There is a fair sized hole currently cordoned off.

Ideal opportunity for someone to stick there camera down to record?

Probably heralds the demolition and infill of this toilet though.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:57 pm

One not on the thread are the public toilets that used to be in Vulcan Street in Springburn. Filled in long ago as part of the "regeneration" of Springburn, but I can remember using them as a nipper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jimmy1959 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:01 pm

peasy23 wrote:One not on the thread are the public toilets that used to be in Vulcan Street in Springburn. Filled in long ago as part of the "regeneration" of Springburn, but I can remember using them as a nipper.

I remember it well myself. You could have a pee for free but you had to pay a penny for the throne. When I was a kid of 8 or 9 years old we would climb over the door if the lavvy man wasn't in site and have a free crap if we needed one. The females had to go to the one at Angus/Kemp Street but they had to pay for a pee or crap. Today they would call that sex discrimination letting males pee for free but females needing to pay. There was also public toilets up in Springburn Road Just off the bottom of Balgrayhill Road near Quinns bar.
jimmy1959
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:07 pm

There used to be public toilets in Bain Square. The road widens at the north end, where it meets the Gallowgate, to allow for a triangular island. Green railings surrounded the stairways heading underground. One set at the west side and another set at the east side, (Ladies and Gents). These were closed decades ago. Then the entrances were filled in some time later. Eventually, the whole island was removed, though the road`s still widened at its` north side.

Bingo!! Here it is! Found on Google under "images" by typing in Bain Square. It`s halfway down, on the right side. It`s culled from urbanglasgow`s site (Glasgow In The 1970`s/East Of The Cross).

(There are some crackers of old Corporation buses on this Google page!).

This photo is taken from the Gallowgate, pointing south down Bain Square in the direction of The Peoples` Palace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby frankmurphy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:44 am

There used to be ones in front of the Dixon Day Halls at the corner of Cathcart Road and Dixon Avenue. As far as I can tell the just flung some earth and grass seed over the entrance and fenced the gate off.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.83379 ... !2e0?hl=en
frankmurphy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects