the secret lavvy network: the true meaning

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby caine » Fri May 13, 2005 4:16 pm

from a discussion i was having with some one who ran the tunnel night club, i think the venue acually engulfed the toilets in mitchell street when they took over the base ement and knocked a few walls through.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby radar » Mon May 23, 2005 9:45 pm

What about the one at the junction of Buchanan St and St Vincent Street. I am sure that there was a lavy on the SE side of that junction. That's the problem of not having lived in the area for a few years, the old brain starts to become a little hazy!
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Referee's downfall

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 23, 2005 9:53 pm

radar wrote:What about the one at the junction of Buchanan St and St Vincent Street. I am sure that there was a lavy on the SE side of that junction. That's the problem of not having lived in the area for a few years, the old brain starts to become a little hazy!

One of the few that's still in use.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby radar » Tue May 24, 2005 3:49 am

Ah well at least the old memories got the loc right!
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu May 26, 2005 8:11 pm

I'm fascinated by this notion of public toilets as part of a network of in an emergency and I'd like to flush out the truth. I suppose they would provide the chains of control. In an emergency, for security from assassination, the Queen could move about Saddam-like on a variety of thrones.

Towards finding out the truth, does anyone have any dates of the toilets being built, in addition to the ones supplied by Pgcc93? We can then perhaps link construction to periods of establishment hysteria (a bit like the one got up by Tony Blair and ex-Home Secretary David Blunkett; the corrupt-and-now-returned-cabinet-one).

My interest in this is a bit related to the tunnels 'thing' (thanks again Crusty for your help on that one). Again it's about notions of secret plans for control dressed up as everday objects. I suppose there's a script somewhere in all this for me... it could start: "Where are you off today dear in your Protect-and-Survive paper face mask"... "Oh nothing to worry about dear, I'm going down a tunnel to do a wee job for the country".
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu May 26, 2005 9:39 pm

caine wrote:from a discussion i was having with some one who ran the tunnel night club, i think the venue acually engulfed the toilets in mitchell street when they took over the base ement and knocked a few walls through.

not so :) .. Not many walls were knocked down in the refit from snooker to club

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby stranger » Thu May 26, 2005 9:44 pm

i think there used to be an underground one at parkhead cross on the corner of westmuir st and tollcross rd sure i saw them in a pic once
but if they were there then they were covered up a long time ago
(late 60s early 70s?)
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu May 26, 2005 9:50 pm

..and the one down at PC World

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Toilets as Bars

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:32 pm

The Temple of Convenience in Manchester

I think the one at anniesland Cross would make a good bar with a roof garden.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ozneil » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:27 am

It strikes my mind there was one at corner of West Campbell Street & Sauchiehall street .... or maybe I was just pissed at time
ozneil
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:17 am

BBC Article that came to my notice today.

Glasgow's image goes down the pan

"Glasgow City Council should be ashamed of themselves for the lack of public toilets in the city which is an affront and disservice to its citizens and tourists who are left bewildered and inconvenienced by this dire state of affairs."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4265174.stm
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:19 pm

Seems to be becoming a recurrent theme in here :(

I notice that poor old Blackpool, subjected to the occasional gentle kick elsewhere in here, is held up as example of how to get this basic facility/right? right.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:38 am

Bottom Left
This station was built for the Glasgow District Subway Co, with an underground island platform similar to those at the other stations on the line, but with an elaborate surface building, designed by James Miller, architect, which housed the booking office and the offices of the company.
This shows the surface building from the south-east, seen from the carriage road in front of St Enoch Railway Station. The entrance to the underground station is at the far end, under the canopy seen here.
The Subway Co was acquired by Glasgow Corporation in 1922, and the original cable-operated system electrified in 1935. The system was completely rebuilt in 1978-80. During this process the St Enoch station was remodelled, the surface building being lifted, and converted into a travel centre.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:03 am

The rear entrance to the modern underground station was kind of built round those public toilets. You can still see clearly the entrances on either side of the building, but of course, they be shut for good.
I remember though... the bottom of the steps to the gents, there was a double door....

Mental ramble... each station has fire exits but where are the fire exits for St Enochs? Could those double doors be the fire exit from the platforms? But surely the toilets would have to remain open as the steal doors at the top look pretty solid and couldnt be a fire exit... and they couldnt exit to the concourse of the station as thats where the fire could be.....
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:58 pm

Kirkpatrick St., alongside London Rd. police station

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects