denistoun private police force

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby engineer » Mon May 02, 2005 8:35 am

i heard on the radio a wee while ago that there is only 6 officers on the street in the city centre at most times
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doberman » Mon May 02, 2005 9:46 pm

Captain Brittles wrote:I'd say that Doberman has highlighted some very good points - and his example of manpower deployment supports what I was saying about how many cops on a shift are responsible for covering the streets of a station's patch. Its fuckin' ridiculous if what he was told about that area (in which I live) having only two officers out on actual patrol - is accurate.

This is an election issue never highlighted by our pansy fuckin' media.

It's accurate. It was one of the two cops who told me!
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alchemist » Mon May 02, 2005 11:43 pm

Doberman wrote:
Captain Brittles wrote:I'd say that Doberman has highlighted some very good points - and his example of manpower deployment supports what I was saying about how many cops on a shift are responsible for covering the streets of a station's patch. Its fuckin' ridiculous if what he was told about that area (in which I live) having only two officers out on actual patrol - is accurate.

This is an election issue never highlighted by our pansy fuckin' media.

It's accurate. It was one of the two cops who told me!

Yeah saw those two cops in Albion street on Saturday night around
9ish, was going to get their autographs :wink:
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu May 05, 2005 8:54 pm

Want police? Move to Shettleston. Today's tally: 2 on foot, 2 on bikes, and 2 in car. Might have been more, but I'm assuming I saw the same car a number of times. This was back streets, not main road.

Reidvale are patting themselves on the back in the local rag. After starting the O/T purchase (£15 k buys 750 hrs, 2 officers for 4 hrs 2 nights/wk) a year ago.

Calls reporting crimes to London Rd have reduced 44%, and they have said the project will definitely continue.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Thu May 05, 2005 10:29 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu May 05, 2005 11:36 pm

To be fair, its always been a fairly high profile area, and there's little can be done against the lone gunman. He could've walked in anywhere and done that.

Past life family obligations mean I've spent many years sitting around Shettleston (so much, CID visited my car one night), and the police on view haven't really gone up or down in numbers, although that method of counting is subjective.

Beat police would be no use for quick response, unless there were hundreds of them. On the few occasions I've needed them (burglaries) the patrol response has been a matter of minutes. For less serious incidents (damage), I've reported by phone and been offered officers when available. This I've declined as the scum were well gone, and attendance would have been a waste of their time. I DO get iritated when I hear someone insist on immediate attendance when there is no point. Its like the fire service attending a false alarm. Take the visit later in the day when there are no urgent calls.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri May 27, 2005 7:18 pm

The Scottish Executive has announced funding for a pilot project to see police patrols increased throughout Shettleston and Sandyhills, together with an increase in the part played by cleansing officials in stamping out vandalism such as grafitti.

The project will be a joint exercise between Strathclyde Police, Glasgow City Council cleansing department and local housing associations in the area.

Local MP Frank McAveety has supported the move, which could be rolled out across the city if successful.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Fri May 27, 2005 9:56 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Sat May 28, 2005 1:50 pm

"More Polis on the Beat" is an easy and popular shout but there is little evidence from around the world that it's an relatively effective use of police time. Experience and a growing bibliography has shown that the rational use of intelligence and resource management, together with long -term policy management and civic involvement is what pre-empts anti-social behaviour and minimises criminal behaviour. The myth of zero-tolerance policy success in New York is just that'; a myth.

On it's own, there could be a policeman on every street - and they could all be standing, unsuspecting, from a serious crime under way no more than 10 yards away. The police in the 60s had plenty of police on the streets and found them increasingly useless against organised crime... even police cars of the time were easily out-run by the 'neds' on wheels.

But there again it's far more popular to concentrate on the easy rhetoric of 'more police' and catching a few 'neds' than any real criminals... and incidentally many of the serious criminals are the 'respectable' car owners whom many commentators seem to want the police to lay off - I'd rather face a barrage of abuse from a bunch of prats in the street than speeding communters in my neighbourhood who want to drive me and other pedestrians off the road so they can speed about in their anti-social 4x4s and people carriers and range rovers (very safe for them and lethal to other raod users and pedestrians).

It's also easy populism to generate increasingly draconian, but ineffective, laws like ASBOs rather than actually examine how true our claims are that young peoples' crime is increasing and if it is... well why?... we all help produce the situation in which there is any such growth.

But there again (again) it's too woolly-liberal to actually attack and deal with why people commit crime. Now stand by for a barrage of the offended
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sat May 28, 2005 3:44 pm

escotregen wrote:But there again (again) it's too woolly-liberal to actually attack and deal with why people commit crime. Now stand by for a barrage of the offended

I've read this .....and my theory is/has always been that the Police generate most crime(s)........just to keep themselves in a job. 8O
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Sat May 28, 2005 4:56 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sat May 28, 2005 5:27 pm

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index. ... 0&docID=-1

not many criminals could outrun one of these.

8)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat May 28, 2005 5:42 pm

paladin wrote:http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index.asp?locID=820&docID=-1

not many criminals could outrun one of these.

8)

Yes, that's excellent. :roll:

Personally I'd like to see the two or three extra beat officers with the money ONE of these cars (Excluding maintance and fuel) could afford, rather than a couple of 'Revenue Rangers' in a fast car.

You know, dealing with real crime ??

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sat May 28, 2005 5:54 pm

I would (ideally) like everybody to be socially responsible citizens all of the time then there would be no real crime......but then, there is no such thing as an ideal world.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat May 28, 2005 6:09 pm

paladin wrote:I would (ideally) like everybody to be socially responsible citizens all of the time then there would be no real crime......but then, there is no such thing as an ideal world.

I don't think anyone was discussing an 'ideal world' ? We were discussing Denistoun.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects