Glasgow Green

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:24 pm

On 1 November 1889, the factory fascade collapsed due to insecure fixings and 29 women were killed in adjacent weaving sheds. The story is carved in a section of stone beneath the base of Templeton Gate, installed during refurbishment work to the area in 2005. A fire in the factory in 1900 resulted in more deaths.

There's a pic of the memorial gate in this thread.

:oops:
One of us has the date wrong, any independent volunteer verifiers (1889 comes from Wikipedia, I don't seem to have another ref handy at the moment)? I'd have photographed the memorial stone too, but it's long and thin, and I didn't have any panorama stuff back then.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:51 pm

My architectural guide to Glasgow [part of the Buildings of Scotland series] shows the date of the collapse as 1889 and John R. Hume's Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow also shows the date as 1st November 1889 so I think we can reasonably assume that this is the correct date.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow Green - Templeton's Carpet Factory Accidents

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:20 pm

I think there was more than two incidents at Templeton's. I have read about the scaffold collapsing during construction of the main ornate building which faces west, which resulted in the death of a number of stone mason's and bricklayers.

Then there was the accident which the memorial stone refers to, which was a floor detaching / collapsing which spread the new building out over the adjacent weaving sheds containing the carpet weavers (the 29 women).

And then there was the fire, which i had no knowledge of until i read the previous posts.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:46 pm

Apollo wrote:One of us has the date wrong

Typo on my part :oops: :oops:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

The Doulton Fountain

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:24 pm

I picked up a book today in a wee second hand Bookshop entitled "Victorian City" by Frank Worsdall, 1988 (An Illustrated Selection of Glasgow's Architecture) no less! Page 105, The Doulton Fountain:
This elaborate monument, spectacular even in ruin, was Doulton & Company's cheif exibit at the 1888 Exhibition. Presented to the City afterwards, it was removed to Glasgow Green in 1890.
Recently the beautiful terracotta figures have been seriously vandalised and the whole fountain epitomizes a City in Decay.
Restoration is long overdue.

Seventeen years later, there she stands in all her splendorous glory; chalk one up to the wee folk. Without their enthusiasm and cajoling, would anything that really mattered to the life of a city ever get pushed to completion?

It's been over 20 years since I visited Glasgow Green and the People's Palace, as I was approaching the Fountain (after a wee jaunt down through G.G. Station) A car drew up by the railings in the street above, a couple got out, in their 50's I would hazzard a guess, they both repaired to their respective rear doors and proceeded to help out a second couple, both in their late 70's or early 80's. I could tell by the excitement in their manner, that this visit, like mine, was the first in a very long time. I later observed the elder couple wandering through the exibits in the Palace with what can only be described as gleeful rapture. To my mind, this is the attraction, the "Reson detre" of Hidden Glasgow, the protection of the past and the concience of the future by the simple means of recording the present's reality.

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:26 pm

How very eloquent. Cute :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Apollo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Did we pass each other? I had to look twice when I saw the memorial slab pic posted in here, and I haven't even uploaded it yet, let alone looked at it! The Verde construction suggest your pics are today's.

I was there taking pics around 14:00, having taken a wander in to the People's Palace to have a wander through the photographic exhibition there:

Glasgow 1955:
Through the Lens

"In 1955, members of Glasgow camera clubs photographed everyday scenes of people and places in the city - the River Clyde, city streets, local parks and Glaswegians at work and at play - to create a unique record of daily life in Glasgow."

Between July 2005 and July 2006 ninety images from 1955 will be displayed - 45 from July 2005 until July 2006, replaced by another 45 from January until July 2006.

I also grabbed some shots of the Templeton Memorial Gate and Weaver's Gate stones, so will be having a go at piecing then together, as they are rather wide.
Last edited by Apollo on Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:14 am

No, Apollo, I was there last Friday, though if I may say so, bumping into you would have been a rare pleasure.
Crusty, “Cute” yes, undoubtedly, wait till you see me at the “Hellfire Club” in my Stilettos, Basque and “Bette Lynch” Earrings
Thing is, you see, I’m 52 now & not to put too morbid a point on it and taking into account the “West of Scotland” syndrome, I probably have less years before me than behind me. I think also that the fact that my two sons are now grown up young adults and have more or less “flown the nest” has given me that extra nudge to take stock, to look back to people & places that constituted the background to my formative years. Standing in the never ending line that was “Santa’s Grotto” in Goldberg’s or the “Arabian Nights” over the road in Lewis’s, dozens of life sized figures with movable parts. Laying my big Penny on the line in Clydebank as the last ever Tram from Auchinshuggle to Dalmuir West rattled past. Being trailed through Glasgow every Saturday by Parents, Aunts or Grandparents has left me with a great love for this less than perfect City of ours. I have time now though to wander back and really look at what is actually still there, the river front has changed dramatically and is still changing, no bad thing, bringing life back to the City’s central artery. “George Square” though, how on earth could you let that happen in the few years that I was elsewhere, shame on you. Was no-one keeping an eye on those buggers over at the Palatial, eastern side of it? I was always one for looking up, still am, so how did I miss the rise & rise of all those tons of Glass & Steel? No complaints from me though, my own fault for not paying attention, Cities will evolve of their own accord, it is up to the folk who reside in them to endeavour to nudge the “City Fathers” in the right direction. This is the true beauty of the WWW… the facility for like minded people to communicate instantly (witness the many photos from the recent fire) to exchange ideas and formulate opinions that are hard to ignore given the rising membership of like minded folk (I would guess that one or two GCC members have felt a little warm under the collar, this past year or two) This Internet thingy has also been responsible for the re-awakening of my love for this City of ours in particular and this Country of ours in general. How these sites fire the imagination, “HG” “Skyscraper City” “Flickr” “Scran” “Glasgow’s Story” and on and on and on.. It amazes me that new members here can still surprise the older ones, witness earlier today when “Local Hero” added to Alycidon’s” encyclopaedic knowledge of all things “Rail” related. This HG site in particular has forced me off my arse and out into places I’ve either rarely, or never saw before, it has stirred my appetite for exploration, at age seven, I was “Alain Quartermaine” thanks to you lot, I get to be him once again, no small feat, cheers.

ps. I laugh a lot on here too, "Wag of the Week" must go to "Bex Bisell"
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:45 am

Superb. 8)
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:52 am

I didn't mean that in a condescending way HH... what you said made me smile :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:57 am

Cheers, Soccy! :wink:
Dinnae fash yirsel, Crusty, you always make me smile ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:45 am

No luck, I should've known wasn't today from the lack of blue sky though, which must be the only good thing about past days of rain. You'd probably have body swerved me anyway: "Who the eejit wiith the camera up at the flats on London Road?" (following a black and white cat through the trees to get a couple of pics of the local wildlife).

Two stitches of the gate stone (complete with genuine fag-end), which you can't get square on to without ladders thanks to the gate itself:

And the Calton Weaver's Gate, which leads from the London Road access to the fountain:

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:13 am

Hidden fountain pics, when they opened the access cover:

Push the gamma to see in the hole.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:28 pm

Excellent stuff, Apollo, there is so much out there that I have no knowledge of. So, Saturday, shopping or investigating the "Weaver's Strike" Mmmmm difficult one :roll:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:55 pm

Decisions, decisions.

I should point out for anyone that visits, Autostitch has been a little over-enthusiastic with its treatment of the Weaver's Gate pics, as this stone is actually semicircular, but the stitching has rather effectively straightened it out.

The local wildlife didn't escape:

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects