Yet more tunnels in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Yet more tunnels in Glasgow

Postby DMcNay » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:12 pm

I have a friebnd who used to be a baker in either the Central Hotel at the station or what is now the Millenium Hotel at Queens Street station. He was telling me that only one of the hotels had a bakery, so there was a tunnel between the two so that the morning rolls could be taken from one to the other.

This was about thirty or forty years ago so it may have been filled in by now.

Anyone got any proof/photos?
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby helsinki » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:53 am

This is absurd, what is this obsession with tunnels in Glasgow :? Why would there be constructed at great expense a tunnel linking two hotels to provide one with bread because the other couldnae be bothered to make there own rolls. The education system must be in freefall going by this question and lets face it a multitude of others within these pages. I honestly thought that there would be some decent information within these pages but unfortunately the amount of people posting mince is becoming a drag.
helsinki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby james73 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:44 am

helsinki wrote:I honestly thought that there would be some decent information within these pages but unfortunately the amount of people posting mince is becoming a drag.

Well, why dont ye get tae finland then?....

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:02 pm

This story is true, comes from a reliable source. I just want to see some pics of it.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:23 pm

Ah, there you are, Lightning!
Didn't spot you before.

Helsinki - in what way is this question mince?
There's a LOT of unlikely stuff in Glasgow that many people have dismissed as rumours and lies and subsequently been proved wrong.

Take the Buck Rogers Burger Bar for instance - I've spoken to many folk about it over the years, and had a similar response to yours - usually in a single-word form rhyming with "Wall Rocks".
But it existed - and that's what this site is all about... Discussing what secrets Glasgow DOES have to give up, and to debunk rumours that ARE false.

If you don't ask any questions, you'll never get any answers.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:31 pm

helsinki wrote:.... I honestly thought that there would be some decent information within these pages but unfortunately the amount of people posting mince is becoming a drag.

Reverend Scapegoat wrote:...............in what way is this question mince?
There's a LOT of unlikely stuff in Glasgow that many people have dismissed as rumours and lies and subsequently been proved wrong.

Take the Buck Rogers Burger Bar for instance.....

i suppose it all depends on what kind of information you require,(staine dykes for example) as for mince postings what maybe mince to some is steak to others
a good example is the Rev looking for Buck Rogers Burger Station. posts for information and hay presto he's proved right.....

never say never :wink:
cheers
fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby helsinki » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:59 am

Oh my I seem to have rattled a few cages concerning my use of the adjective "mince" as in your talking mince pal!. Having reread the original post it's even clearer that the contributer is getting wound up. The friend who gave him this info cannot even remember what hotel he workeed in. When the hotels were built can anybody believe that hotels of that size would not have ovens within which could bake a few loaves. These are both big giant hotels. Lets assume the Central does not have the capability of baking its own bread. To solve that problem lets get planning permission to construct a tunnel linking our hotel with those fine chaps over at Queen street and we can get our morning rolls from there. Sounds fucking brilliant doesn't it. Oh and when we don't need it anymore we can just fill it in, with all that stale bread left over I quess. Then again maybe I am a cynic and will be shut up when the proof of these tunnels emerges. I can hardly wait. Oh and by the way I am living in Helsinki having luckily escaped from Glasgow many years ago and I build Dry Stone Walls for a living.
helsinki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:28 am

Having ran into a security guard at the Argyle Arcade last week...who regaled us unpromted with tales of a tunnel running the length of Buchanan street, which was used to take people to air raid shelters, well I would never say never! This was a new one on me!

And he'd apparently walked it...although muchn is blocked off now...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cumbo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:32 am

Both hotels were until early 80's owend and run by the now defunct
british transport hotels ie station hotels. Having spent some time in
both kitchens(both did have there own bakers) but they are the two
main stations in Glasgow owend by the same operators. There is every chance that given that they are not that far appart there is a link
I know in the past that laundry was passed between the two hotels
with a majic Mr Ben type, now you see it now you dont!
As for rolls an mince there was a bar by Blythswood Sq that sold rolls and mince not so easy to eat, but a great Glasgow cuisine moment!!
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:54 pm

Roll and mince eh!! better known as a maryhill big mac!! heehee. :P
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects