Schipka Pass

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:54 pm

hazy wrote:He used to be a hairdresser. I went out with one of his staff. What a sha

ng-a-lang,

shang-a-lang,

shang-a-lang

shang-a-lang, shang-a-lang, shang-a-lang

well we sang shang-a-lang as we ran with the gang,
doin doo wop be dooby do ay,
we were all in the news,
with our blue suede shoes,
and our dancin the night away.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:37 pm

shallot she had in her allotment?
shafting I gave her?
shandy she handed me?

shantung shift she wore?
shape she had?
sharp dresser?

sharp-shooter her dad was?
shawl she wore?
shaky start we got off to?
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weedgie_bored » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:39 am

weedgie_bored
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mr moto » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:56 am

i remember years ago seeing a sign hanging there that had a picture of an arab complete with turban, and the sign said... sheik ma, tadgers sauna !
anyone else remember this sign or am i imagining things ?
also how soon will it be before it,s levelled, and yet another bland anonymous overpriced glass box building is spewed up in it,s place ?
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:57 am

mr moto wrote:i remember years ago seeing a sign hanging there that had a picture of an arab complete with turban, and the sign said... sheik ma, tadgers sauna !
also how soon will it be before it,s levelled, and yet another bland anonymous overpriced glass box building is spewed up in it,s place ?

Nope, you're right. The sign was there.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:03 pm

Found this
http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/streets/schipkapass.htm

Dunno if it's right or not of course but it looks right.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:Found this
http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/streets/schipkapass.htm

Dunno if it's right or not of course but it looks right.

That's the place. The church isn't there any more.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:55 pm

mr moto wrote:i remember years ago seeing a sign hanging there that had a picture of an arab complete with turban, and the sign said... sheik ma, tadgers sauna !

Seemingly not.

The Sun, December 1998 -

Desperate Dick is always in trouble because of his barmy schemes.

He laughed: "One of my few successful ventures was when I opened up the Sheik-Ma-Tadger executive massage parlour over the road in the Schipka Pass.

"The deal was that any customer drinking 25 pints in the Calton was entitled to a free session.

"Of course hardly anyone could drink that much but after about 15 pints they were in the mood for some jiggery-pokery so they would pay the admission anyway.

"The girls weren't the best looking in the world but the punters all had their beer goggles on so they didn't care. I hired all the girls from a local sausage factory so they didn't need any training.

"I was making an absolute packet but it only lasted two weeks before I was grassed up and the cops raided the place."

The rest of Dick's business ventures have been disastrous.

"My worst scheme came after I spoke to Johnny Lorimar who had the idea to turn Bennetts nightclub into a gay club.

"He said that before then the place was empty and on the road out and now it's raking it in.

"I decided to turn the downstairs part of my place into a lesbian only zone and called it the Lesbian Lions.

"I really thought it would do well and that blokes would come along to watch. But not one lesbian came in - and the rest of my punters refused to come in because they didn't want to be seen in a gay joint."

Scar-faced Dick has even changed the pub's name several times in a bid to win a new clientele.

He said: "It's been called Barton's, Dirty Dick's, and The Hanging Ball Pool Club but no matter the name it's still the same idiots who come in.

mr moto wrote:also how soon will it be before it,s levelled, and yet another bland anonymous overpriced glass box building is spewed up in it,s place ?

Let's hope so. Really, if you blew up everything from Trongate to Melbourne Street, you would be doing Glasgow a favour, tbh.

Just realised that might include the HQ of Infinite Eye so, erm, maybe not them, then. But you get the meaning.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:05 pm

tedmaul wrote:
Let's hope so. Really, if you blew up everything from Trongate to Melbourne Street, you would be doing Glasgow a favour, tbh.

Just realised that might include the HQ of Infinite Eye so, erm, maybe not them, then. But you get the meaning.

And my hoose plus half the calton ye cheeky basturt
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Schipka Pass

Postby BrianCharlton » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:14 pm

This all started when I had a friend home from Canada and I took him for a walk around the East End of Glasgow. At the bottom of what I had always thought of as Schipka Pass, I showed him an old cast iron bridge that is built into the wall there. This is the entrance to an old tunnel that passes under London Road. I read once that this is the oldest cast iron bridge in Glasgow but I have been unable to prove this. Notice the church of Saint Andrew in the Square in the background. If you go here you can see the entrance to the tunnel that has been barred up for many years now (behind the bush).
This is a plaque that is mounted on the top of the arch and is clearly dated 1826. I was curious about the origins of this lane and tunnel, so went to the Glasgow Room in the Mitchell Library along with a friend and we were really surprised at what we found.
I like to keep in shape - - - - - - Round IS a shape !
BrianCharlton
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BrianCharlton » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:21 pm

The above map dated 1807 shows the Gallowgate, the Molendinar Burn, and Saint Andrew Lane where Schipka Pass should be.
Also notice that London Road does not exist at this time.
The above map of 1822 shows the projected line for London Street (road) and the proposed re-alignment of the Gallowgate.
The above map of 1832 shows London Street (now road) and again Saint Andrew lane,
but notice there is no James Morrison Street yet.
Above is a copy of a very detailed diagram that we found (it did not copy very well), that clearly showed Saint Andrew lane running from the Gallogate, under London Street, into another lane which was labelled “lane over Molendinar” which runs west into another lane called London Lane. It also clearly showed Schipka Pass as a very narrow pass that ran beside Saint Andrew Lane but stopped at London Street. We think this is the elevated part of the lane / pass. (diagram dated 1865)
BrianCharlton
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BrianCharlton » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:27 pm

The old photo above was taken looking west on London Road (street). The boy and the policeman on the right are looking over the railings down into Saint Andrew Lane, there are spiral stairs that run down the corner of the building to the lane below. The lady on the left is crossing what is now James Morrison Street. Notice the top of the Tollbooth Steeple showing above the buildings on the left and the dome on top of the building on the far right behind the pawnbroker balls.
I tried to take this modern photo (above) from the same position as the previous old photo.
The rail bridge looks unchanged in both. The dome on the right is also still there but the higher buildings hide the Tollbooth Steeple.
The dome building in the previous photos is actually the top of the Crystal Bell Pub building in the Gallowgate dating from 1834.
BrianCharlton
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:29 pm

BrianCharlton wrote:The above map dated 1807 shows the Gallowgate, the Molendinar Burn, and Saint Andrew Lane where Schipka Pass should be.
Also notice that London Road does not exist at this time.

The above map of 1822 shows the projected line for London Street (road) and the proposed re-alignment of the Gallowgate.

The above map of 1832 shows London Street (now road) and again Saint Andrew lane,
but notice there is no James Morrison Street yet.

Above is a copy of a very detailed diagram that we found (it did not copy very well), that clearly showed Saint Andrew lane running from the Gallogate, under London Street, into another lane which was labelled “lane over Molendinar” which runs west into another lane called London Lane. It also clearly showed Schipka Pass as a very narrow pass that ran beside Saint Andrew Lane but stopped at London Street. We think this is the elevated part of the lane / pass. (diagram dated 1865)

Interesting maps Brian. I just wanted to say hi and welcome to Hidden Glasgow. I am glad you finally decided to take the plunge.

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BrianCharlton » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:32 pm

The above sketched view shows the elevated walkway on the left which I believe is actually Schipka Pass
and the lane running down to the tunnel which is Saint Andrew Lane.
Above is a modern photo showing approx the same view as the previous sketch. Some other dates that I have found that relate to the area are: Saint Andrew’s Church completed in 1756. Saint Andrew’s Square completed 1787. The Glasgow Central Line (railway) that runs under London Rd. opened in 1895.
BrianCharlton
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BrianCharlton » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 pm

The above photo shows signs that claim that St Andrew’s Market was established in 1826 which is the same date as the cast iron bridge at the end of the lane.
The elevated section you can see here probably joined London Road at the higher level (Schipka Pass) while the lane ran under London Road (Saint Andrew Lane).
The buildings in the area were owned by a Mr. Dick Barton who sadly passed away in 2004.
He was a true Glasgow eccentric and was responsible for all of the signs around here, and as you can see, had a wicked sense of humour.
Mr. Barton claimed that Schipka Pass in Glasgow has been around since 1492 but since it was supposed to be named after a battle that took place in 1877 as part of the Russian / Turkish war in what is now Bulgaria, I don’t know how this could be. He is probably referring to the original lane (Saint Andrew Lane).

That's all folks ::):
BrianCharlton
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects