Schipka Pass

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Schipka Pass

Postby Sharon » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:11 pm

Yesterday's wandering along the Molendinar took us through Schipka Pass, which although i knew it existed I had no idea it was Partick Thistle haven!!

But why is it named the Schipka Pass, i'm sure i remember theres a story behind the name...

Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby My Kitten » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:42 pm

yeah that is a wierd bit. All I know is that the streets are named after army typey stuff ( Barrack st too) but I never did understand all the graffitti, although it was good to see some nuttiness.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:41 pm

Schipka Pass

Underneath a railway bridge on the edge of Glasgow's city centre there's a tiny street called Schipka Pass. It doesn't go anywhere, and on some maps it doesn't appear at all. One of the half-derelict buildings on the street is occupied by something called the St. Andrew's Market. Every centimetre of the outside of this market is covered in home-made, hand-painted signs and billboards commemorating obscure events in Scottish history, or the results of long forgotten football matches. In amongst all these are three or four that actually relate to the business itself, and they all say the same thing: 'rubbish bought, antiques sold'.

This curious byway, just east of Glasgow Cross, holds a Crimean War memory in its name. Of the hive of old closes that environed it originally, little is left. In its day it took the place, doubtless, of an older lane which saw kings and bishops, and Mary, Queen of Scots, herself, and heard the jingling of Claverhouse’s dragoons, the shots of Covenanters, the clash of Wallace’s sword, the very step, perhaps, of Prince Charlie. For the "pass" is at the heart of Glasgow’s historic past.

( http://homepage.ntlworld.com/will.bradley/postproduction.html )
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:15 am

emmar wrote:yeah that is a wierd bit. All I know is that the streets are named after army typey stuff ( Barrack st too)

BARRACK STREET, opened 1795. It formed the eastern boundary of the Infantry Barracks, which were built on lands anciently known as the Butts, where the citizens practised archery. A battle was fought here during the reign of Queen Marie between the Regent Arran and Lennox and Glencairn. Upwards of three hundred fell on either side, and the town suffered severely, as it was given up to pillage. A large portion of these lands was granted to the Government in 1795 as a site for an infantry barracks, for which purpose they were utilised for well-nigh a century but the locality becoming unsuitable, new quarters were erected in the north-west portion of the city. In the circumstances it was fully expected that the ground which the War Office authorities had so long enjoyed the free use of would have been handed back to the city to be utilised as an open garden space, which was much needed in the district, but with that parsimony which is invariably shown to Scotland in things Imperial a deaf ear was given to all remonstrance, and the place was sold for a very large sum To a railway company.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:51 am

...is there not a place in Bulgaria with the same name?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby escotregen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:11 am

I undesrtand that the Jag's graffiti ('nuttiness'? really, what a cheek :wink: ) is the work of one of the proprietors in the lane. When I was a boy we were told that "five people were murdered in there" another versions was that "five women were murdered in there"
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:01 pm

Shipka pass is owned by as man called Dick Barton,who also owns a pool hall on London road, he is well known as an amatuer football pundit, who is Jags mad unsurprisingly. some of the signs are hilarious. He always puts questions into the evening times column 'Now You Know" with some obscure footy question.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:53 pm

Dick Barton! now there's a name; this guy is clearly a character, I wonder if he opted for the name through Deed Poll?
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:35 pm

I'll start with the (maybe) painfully obvious.
It could be that "Schipka Pass" was named after a battle which took place between Bulgarian Volunteers & Turkish Invaders in 1877.

Only then can we assume that the "pass" was named after this battle. It's the most obvious thing i could find on "Google" relating to the subject matter. Afterall, there are other streets in Glasgow with war connections-Crimea Street etc :)
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Schipka Pass

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:35 pm

I read about it in a book recently that it was in fact named after the Russo-Turkish War in the nineteenth century and stated that nobody remembered why it came about.
It was apparently covered, giving it a one sided arcade look.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Barrack Street

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:16 pm

As Crusty Bint mentioned above. The barracks were built on what is now the abandoned railway goods yard on High Street.

Before they were built the area was known for hundreds of years as 'The Butts'. It being an open piece of ground where Wappenschaws were held.
These were weapon shows of their day where swordsmen,archers and spearmen did their training exercises.
Bulit in 1795 it remained there until 1870 when it was relocated to Maryhill Barracks. which is also now long gone, only a wee bit of wall left!.

Which begs the question- why do they always leave a 'Wee' bit of wall IE: Duke Street Prison etc. after demolition. Are walls Grade 'A' listed? :?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:32 pm

Mr Barton also pops up on TV quite a lot. We saw him with a wee sign outside Parkhead when Martin O'neil had just signed his contract. His sign said "Hello from Mr Barton"

Schipka Pass was supposed to be getting demolished in Nov 2003.

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:49 pm

I think the heid bummers want to level the whole of the area inc. the Barras. Imagine 'The Barras Mall' :(
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:23 pm

Defo, the second and third phase of the "Homes of the Future" are in the pipeline and the third phase is on the block where the heart of Gold Jewellers is on London Road.

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Richard Burton - RIP

Postby The Voyageur » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:53 pm

Sadly today, Richard Burton passed away.

He will always be remembered for his eccentric ideas and his love of Partick Thistle. Our thoughts and best wishes to all that knew him over the years.

- All related with PTFC

'SCHIPKA PASS - THE BRIGHTEST SPOT IN THE WORLD'!
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects