Westfield bunker

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

RE: Bunkers / Underground Shelters

Postby fullfatmilk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Whilst on the subject of bunkers/shelters...

There's a street in Dennistoun that up until the last few years was only 5 'closes' long and stopped at the Somerfield/Rollerama/Dennistoun Palais before it bent (right) into Roselea Drive. Hillfoot Street is now about double the length to accomodate sections of the new Dennistoun Village.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hillfoot+street&sll=55.677584,-4.658203&sspn=11.818113,40.869141&ie=UTF8&ll=55.858635,-4.219501&spn=0.002866,0.009978&t=h&z=17&om=0

Anyhow, before the construction of Dennistoun Village there stood a two-storey red sandstone building at the top of Hillfoot Street (on the left) and right beside the metal shutters of the (Somerfield) multi-storey carpark. It had been occupied by Russells DIY (as a shop & lattery as a store) for as many years as i can remember and before that it was a local post sorting office. I was talking to the guy who owned the shop/store one day and he made reference to the shop had x thousand square feet of space. I was surprised by his estimation of the available space and questioned whether his calculation was mistaken.

"Ahh" he said "but it has two underground levels". To be honest, i thought he was just winding me up in an attempt to distract me from his overestimation of space. However, coming home from work one day i noticed that the guy had sold up, cleared the store and had began to shutter-up the windows and doors. Being a nosey sort and with only a little dunt on the front door (honest), i was inside and determined to have a wander.

Sure enough, i found two underground levels - one significantly bigger than the other. At the back of store (which backs on to Dennistoun Library) on the left hand side, there was a door leading a flight of stairs (20 or so) that led into the bigger chamber (which is directly under the back court of ?43? Hillfoot Street - wonder if the tennants know?). I started down the stairs and got about half way before thinking "it's a bit dark down here", went home, got the Timbees on, phoned a mate and grabbed two torches before heading back.

The actual room, in terms of hidden goodies, was uneventful. It was square in shape, 12 metres by 15 metres (?) and about 3 metres floor to ceiling. There was what looked like an old air filtration system which would have tied-in with an explanation i received afterwards (from an elderly nearby resident) that the bunker/chamber was built in secret, using a squad of Irish navvies in the late 1930's in preparation of the impending war.

No one else that i've mentioned the building too has any knowledge or even awareness of the bunker; it's purpose, use or reason for existence. I don't suspect there's any historical importance attached to it but i was more interested in the fact that such hidden gems exist, sometimes literally under our very houses. As the original building has now been demolished to make way for yet more flimsy cardboard-built flats the opportunity to explore it has gone, although, the entrance to the underground bunker is still there (and very open) for those in search of an adventure. Word of caution though, it's been exposed to the elements (and vermin) for almost two years now and the builders have helpfully used the bunker entrance as an on-site skip, so if you're gonna have a gander - be careful!
fullfatmilk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Westfield bunker (cumbernauld)

Postby fullfatmilk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Any local Cumbersneckians have any recollection of the 'bunker' as per my previous post?

It was in the wooded area just before what is now the industrial estate:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=&ie=UTF8&ll=55.931288,-4.039514&spn=0.002981,0.009613&t=k&z=17
fullfatmilk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Westfield bunker

Postby AcidC4 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi fullfatmilk,

You are correct about the air raid shelter at 49 hillfoot street since it was my father that owned the business.
What we were told when we bought the building from the Post Office was.
Irish Diggers where brought over to build the Bomb shelter leading up to 1939 the reason that they didnt use glaswegans was incase they got mouthy in there local pub dwellings :mrgreen:
What they did each night with all the mail was put in the bomb shelter to protect it because of ration
books etc incase the building got damaged or flattened from any Nazi bombing raids it was also used if there was day raids by the staff.
Dont know if you looked closely at the floor of that building but it was a peace of art hundreds of solid seperate blocks of hardwood 6" by 3" all lining up perfectly.
Was sad to see such a building go if am honest used to be a nightmare when that Summerfield was there as they had an unfinnished carpark and kids used to go on the roof a throw shopping trolleys,slabs and anything else they could get there hands on,smashing the original pure slate roof and you guessed it summerfield could not careless
or the local Cops even enviromental safety didnt bother.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
AcidC4
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby fullfatmilk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi AcidC4

Yes thanks, it does help :D

Your explanation ties in exactly with what i've pieced together since my original post; including the use of the 'Irish diggers' as a means to minimise local knowledge of the existence of the bunker/underground shelter.

I do remember the floor - from my time as a customer - but by the time of my recce (as per my post) the floor had taken quite a beating (over its lifetime and during the closure/emptying of the shop) and was in a pretty bad state.

There were other other interesting features about the building too; the nooks and crannys of the rooms on the upper floor that would be distinctly out of place in a modern office/unit. I assume that they were typical of building style back in the late 20's/30's ?

I've also wondered what permission was required from the owners of the tenements flat(s) adjoining the then sub-post office to excavate their back court to a depth of 5 metres(?) to allow for the construction of the bunker. Never mind how such an excavation could have impacted on the integrity of the fabric of their building. Also, i wonder if the flat owners were compensated for the disruption and/or compliance with secrecy? My guess is, if they had been told of the reason, they would have supported it as part of the (pre) "war effort".

I keep meaning to find out if any of the current flat owners/renters are aware of what's underneath their washing lines but it's a bit of a random question to chap someones door with; "excuse me, sorry to bother you but, do you know that your tenement back court has a ww2 bunker under it, built in secret by irish diggers to hold store important paperwork in case the nazis bombed Dennistoun?". I can already hear the reply, "Jean, fone the polis, there's a crazy man at the door!"

In relation to the unfinished car park (previously) attached to Somerfield, it was always an odd one, a massive 3 storey concrete carpark slap bang in the middle a densely populated area and unfortunately, due to its extended period of dis-use, it was always going to attract youthful vandalism :( Think it was a bit of a folly, only being in use for a few short years despite the novel idea, the cost of maintaining/servicing it coupled with the lack of use, meant it was a big white elephant. I was in it a few times through different reasons; one idea was to turn it into a local community multi-use work/studio space (that idea didn’t get passed being an idea), another time the company that I worked for considered restoring it as a working car-park but the cost of renovation coupled with ‘tricky’ security considerations deemed it unviable and again the idea fell off the table.

Cheers again, AcidC4 ;)
fullfatmilk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby TEAMSANO » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:02 pm

i lived in condorrat as a kid and recall the shelter you mentioned, on that google link you provided, its slightly north of the dm designs factory on the very far left of the page. it wasn't particularly big and had a couple of doors and perhaps a hole in the roof (hatch?). this is 25 years ago now so memories are vague.
TEAMSANO
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby fullfatmilk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Teamsno

I'm glad someone remembers it, was actually begining to wonder if i'd made it up as some kind of childhood fanciful notion!

Oh god, don't mention a hatch - having just consumed 5 series of 'Lost' over the last few months, the mention of a hatch sets my mind racing 8O
fullfatmilk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby echo seven » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi all,

This post sure streaches back a bit. I found it (and joined the site) while searching for the location of the Westfield Bunker. I'm not sure its exactly where the link above suggests, but If i find it I'll report back.

I can tell you exactly what the bunker was for. It was a control bunker for a nearby decoy site. The decoy sites where set up during WWII to make the enemy think it was a place worth bombing. They used lights, small fires, sparking pyrotechnics etc to make an empty field look like an industrial area. It was all controled from the bunker which obviousluy had to be a bomb shelter. They are quite common but by nature difficult to find. I've been told this one is in a field off orcherdton road going down to broadwood Loch. I'll need to ask my wife's gran who is 90 and has lived in Condorrat all her life.

If anyone is still interested let me know, and I'll report back if/when i find it!

Cheers
Echo Seven
echo seven
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby purplepantman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm interested!

I have heard it definitely exists although I've never been to it.

I'm not sure how much the A80/M80 upgrading work will hinder your quest
as there's a lot going on at that location at the moment - but good luck anyway!
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:41 pm

good luck in your search, let us know how you get on.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:56 pm

There is a cracking example on the farm road from the back of Milngavie over towards Balmore/Bardowie.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Johnny_Gogo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Johnny_Gogo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby echo seven » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks, I took a detour by there tonight, about 2 miles from my house. According to the map it should be very easy to find. I walked along the path nearest the bunker, couldn't see it from the path and din't have enough time to wander into the woods. I'll go back later in the week when I've more time.

Thanks again
Echo Seven
echo seven
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby james1978 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:56 pm

echo seven wrote:Hi all,

This post sure streaches back a bit. I found it (and joined the site) while searching for the location of the Westfield Bunker. I'm not sure its exactly where the link above suggests, but If i find it I'll report back.

I can tell you exactly what the bunker was for. It was a control bunker for a nearby decoy site. The decoy sites where set up during WWII to make the enemy think it was a place worth bombing. They used lights, small fires, sparking pyrotechnics etc to make an empty field look like an industrial area. It was all controled from the bunker which obviousluy had to be a bomb shelter. They are quite common but by nature difficult to find. I've been told this one is in a field off orcherdton road going down to broadwood Loch. I'll need to ask my wife's gran who is 90 and has lived in Condorrat all her life.

If anyone is still interested let me know, and I'll report back if/when i find it!

Cheers
Echo Seven

Hi , just joined the forum. First post

I live in Westfield and also grew up here , There is a bunker in the woods behind DM design I used to hang about there drinking when in my teens . It has been filled in and you have to crouch down when inside. I have always wondered if the shelter has tunnels etc.
james1978
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects