Dr. Quigley's house Rutherglen

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Dr. Quigley's house Rutherglen

Postby lordsleek » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:11 pm

My grandfather used to take me a walk through the woods here before they built the houses. There was a ruined house in the woods with a gold coloured sundial high up on one wall. Can anyone tell me any of the history of this place and any photographs would be a big bonus.
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:23 pm

O.K. I just found out it was called Bankhead house but I still cannot find any photos
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:16 pm

lordsleek I know the area you mean, I live quite near it. I only really remember it as a scheme, however I will make enquiries....
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:53 pm

Lord sleek
was the house close by Mitchels Farm,on the area that is now called Cityford?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:29 am

cumbo wrote:Lord sleek
was the house close by Mitchels Farm,on the area that is now called Cityford?

Yeah it was behind that new eyesore sorry estate in the woods up from the banky burn.
I delivered milk for mitchells BTW :oops: In a hand barrow god im getting old, ::):
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:01 am

There is a house in Park Hill Road,Rutherglen. Called Sundial House,
I think it might be a Manse
Is this the house you seek Lordsleek?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:20 am

cumbo wrote:There is a house in Park Hill Road,Rutherglen. Called Sundial House,
I think it might be a Manse
Is this the house you seek Lordsleek?

Nah slong gone
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:28 am

Fantastic
not much chance of a photo then :twisted:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Dr. Quigley's house Rutherglen

Postby shrek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:33 am

I now live in Canada and I too remember Quigleys Mansion as it was known to me. I am now 57 yrs. old, but as a child of 0 - 8 yrs. old I used to go on adventures up the Bankie Burn from the Bankhead Rd. side. We would go up to Quigleys estate and collect Chestnuts sometimes. We believed some mad person was living in the house, an eccentric person, and sometimes we would be chased for trespassing on the estate. I lived in the big house directly opposite Mitchells Farm. It is sadly gone now, but was called Crosshill house, on Bankhead Road at the corner with Kilmorie Drive. I too used to go out sometimes with the milk deliveries, in a Volkswagen (blue) pick up truck into the Castlemilk housing scheme. That old house (Crosshill House) was originally built for the daughter of Shanks the Plumber when she got married many many yrs. ago. My name is Gordon Foster and I have photographs of Crosshill House. I went to Bankhead Primary School. I now live in Vancouver, Canada, but lived in Crosshill House from birth in 1953 until 1961.
E-mail.
[email protected]
shrek
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby joyce » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am

I remember we used to go down to that big house too...it seemed like a long walk to it through the woods, we all thought a mad old witch lived there and would run away as if she was chasing us, Im sure its the same place, would be great if there was any photos around of it....
joyce
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby GaelForce » Sun May 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Sorry to wake an old thread but hopefully this will be of interest to some folk.

I came across an old photo online recently of Bankhead Pond and was speaking with my grandad about it, a Ruglonian of 70+ years.
He was telling me there would be hundreds of kids fishing and playing in the pond during the summer, then mentioned Dr Quigley, who lived in the house above the Pond (on Cityford). He said they used to climb the hill to his mansion only to be chased by the Dr's big dogs!

He also said Quigley's surgery was on/near the site of St Columbkille's Primary School, you can see the bricked up entrance in the wall on Stonelaw Road next to the bus stop. I always thought this was an old entrance for the school, but apparently it was to the Dr's Surgery that Quigley used with a Dr Sutherland, and another Dr (Need to double check the name).

He said the surgery then moved to Main St (E), near Warnock's and was one of the first to have a ticket system, where you took a number on entry :)
GaelForce
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby barrel » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:08 am

An old thread but as there seems some interest I thought I could post three photos - (1) the house at Bankhead, (2) Mr Quigley - the father of the 3 doctor Quigleys that originally purchased Bankhead Estate - walking with 2 of his grandchildren at the pond in the estate ( Miss Kathleen Quigley and her cousin Master Patrick Quigley ) and (3) Miss Kathleen Quigley and her cousin Master Patrick Quigley playing with a toy yacht at the pond in the estate. Picture (4) is a copy of the 1923/4 post office directory and you can clearly see it gives the home addresses of Dr Desmond, Dr Hugh and Dr James Quigley as being Bankhead house and their surgery addresses as main street Rutherglen and Dalmarnock Road Bridgeton.

Miss Kathleen Quigley subsequently became my mother who died in 2013

Please go to undernoted web page to see aerialdetails of where Bankhead House was situated. The picture was taken in 1937

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/imag ... tabs-image

Bankhead House.jpg

kay at bankhead 1.jpg

kay at bankhead 2.jpg

Post office directory 1923_4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barrel
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby shrek » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Very interesting. I used to visit the estate to gather chestnuts as a child. I lived with my parents from birth in 1953 until 1961 in Crosshill House, Bankhead Road, Rutherglen (at its corner with Kilmorie Drive, opposite Mitchell's Farm) Crosshill House sat next to the library and Bankhead Primary School, which I attended. Gordon Foster, Vancouver, Canada.
shrek
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Family Tree » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:44 am

Hello Barrel. I am also related to John Quigley (great great grand-daughter) and to the Quigley's of Bankhead House, I'd be very interested to know more about them all if you have any family info please.
Family Tree
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects