Dumbarton - Riverside Distillery

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Dumbarton - Riverside Distillery

Postby downward_spiral » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:48 am

Hi,

Took a walk through Dumbarton recently and noticed the red brick distillery on the riverside near the castle was missing a few buildings. There's a fair few bites out of the main building as well.

Anyone know more? Is any of it being kept, or is it all on the way out?

Cheers,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:58 am

Yeah, the central, tallest tower is to be retained and integrated into the reevelopment of Dumbarton Harbour

Theres plenty of info in the Glasgow forum on SkyScraperCity, or from near the bottom of this page:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=154932&page=18&pp=20

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Re: Dumbarton - Riverside Distillery

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:37 pm

downward_spiral wrote:Hi,

Took a walk through Dumbarton recently and noticed the red brick distillery on the riverside near the castle was missing a few buildings. There's a fair few bites out of the main building as well.

Anyone know more? Is any of it being kept, or is it all on the way out?

I heard they had to retain the tallest of the buildings to allow the developers to build up to 7 storeys high, if they demolished the whole site they would have been restricted to just 2.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:16 pm

That is kind of it Pgcc93 in the sense that if you demolished the tower the local planners don't have the imagination to see beyond National Planning Policy Guidelines which state all non city centre residential development should not exceed 4 storeys. These are just guidelines at the end of the day and on a riverfront site like this you should be doing something special and giving it the importance it needs. Anyway this is not the main reason the tower was retained. The developers wanted to get shot of it. It's an old building at the end of the day and has been pretty much abandoned for a while so it will be expensive to convert into flats. However they were persuaded that it was such a local and regional landmark that it would be worth retaining as its presence would add to the attractiveness of the scheme. Surprisingly, as its pretty much unique in Scotland (its a copy of a Hiram and Walker distillery in Quebec), it hasn't been listed by Historic Scotland so the developers were not obliged to retain it. But ultimately arguments for retention won out, though I gather there has been a bit of local resistance from people who would rather see it come down. Anyway the new scheme is being built around it so that it will front onto a riverside square. Its an attempt to echo the kind of traditional urban structure you get on the west coast of Scotland with churches / civic buildings having squares either built around or in front of them. I think it would be a big loss to Dumbarton if it was removed.

Cheers

CC
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:18 pm

A remarkable and pleasing tale, retaining an elderly structure where there is no compulsion.

I think I might join the Luddites on the tall buildings in cities though, the 4 storey rule looks quite palatable to me. I'm sure the clever developers will be able to get a few 'specials' through that anyway, so there will be few, which will do nicely.

I like a good skyscraper, but not casting my city streets into shadow like in America.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:07 pm

Going on the premise that artists impressions always look better than the actual building, it looks like Dumbarton is going to have an absolute eye sore on it's hand. I mean even the picture looks dreadful!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:32 pm

If my recollection is correct the majority of it is 4 storeys Apollo. Its only around the square that it steps up to frame the old tower.

I'm a canyon man myself. Gives a good big city feel. No city worth its salt should be without one. Don't mind an homogenous 4 storey approach at all but I also like it when the scale changes and soars. You only get that kind of thing in cities and being a total urbanite thats what rocks my boat. You should see parts of Sydney and Melbourne's CBDs were they have had the wisdom to keep the human scale of their victorian buildings but have also been brave enough to insert new high rises. I think the contrast between the two can be fantastic.

Going on the premise that artists impressions always look better than the actual building, it looks like Dumbarton is going to have an absolute eye sore on it's hand. I mean even the picture looks dreadful!

Well each to his own KonstantinL. I think it shows real promise especially when compared to some of the stuff in Leith or the absolutely dire mock georgian / victorian / noddy townhouse shite that has been put up at Inverkip. And at least the developer listened and didn't just blitz the lot. If the previous plan, by different developers and which had been granted consent by the local planners, had gone ahead there would be nothing left and Dumbarton would have had a nice B&Q shed in a sea of carparking fronting onto the Leven right next to the town centre. Hmmmm very urban! Would that not have made a nice eye sore? I know which one I'd prefer.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby john-g » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:37 pm

We're talking about Dumbarton town centre here, not Milngavie. In any case a 13 storey tower isn't a "skyscraper" and it overlooks a public square, not peoples houses. The brewery tower acts as a "marker" for the town centre and injects much needed dynamism to the skyline, thanks to this project it (and the new build tower) will continue to do so.

The site demands something of stature and, thankfully, that looks like what's getting delivered.

I'm impressed to see something of this quality rise outside Glasgow city centre, its a real coup. I had been resigned to a new Barratt estate.

Congratulations Dumbarton! :)
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Dumbarton Harbour

Postby Momus » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:54 pm

The planning application for the project is still running, which is only to be expected given the size and complexity of the scheme, in parallel with all the other projects currently underway or proposed.

Apparently there is to be a public exhibition of the Carvill proposals in early August, and they have a web site is up and running (in draft form anyway)

http://www.dumbartonharbour.co.uk

admin edit
Momus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Feedback on the project is being sought by Carvill, with a public display next week.

My name is Bill Johnston and I work for Carvill (Scotland) Ltd. We are a residential development company and we have recently submitted a planning application to develop the former Allied Distillers Site in Dumbarton. I was very interested to note that a forum was opened on your website within a few days (hours even!!!) of our submission and that it generated quite a bit of interest.

Currently, we are involved in some public consultation for this project and I would like to enquire whether you would permit us to use your forums for some additional feedback.

The main thrust of the consultation is a public display running on the 4th, 5th & 6th of August where people can come along and see a 3D model of the project together with a computer generated fly through, various plans, etc as well as discuss the proposal with representatives from Carvill and their Design Team.

In the lead up to these dates we have issued nearly 9000 leaflets inviting Dumbarton residents along as well as displaying posters and placing ads in the local newspapers. We have also provided some additional info on the web at http://www.dumbartonharbour.co.uk

The display is being held at the Riverside Parish Church Hall, Castle Street, Dumbarton.

If you think that this would be appropriate I would be delighted if you could post this message up for your users and invite them to comment on the scheme, particularly those who are interested in the regeneration of Dumbarton Town Centre.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby john-g » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:25 pm

Excellent! I've magpied the juicy stuff for a summary.

Developer - Carvill (Scotland) Ltd
    Architect - Cooper Cromar Llewellyn Davies Planning Consultants and Landscape Architects
    Height - Tower 1 : 14 floors, 49m
    Tower 2 : 13 floors, 42m
    Total flats 331
    Cost -
    Location - Former Allied Distillery site
    Start date - 2005
    Completion date - n/a

The taller tower is a refurb of the existing brick "mill".

What materials are the new builds though?

Both towers in profile including (for the first time) the new build "lighthouse".

Site photo's

The Parish church makes for interesting contrast.

It's a huge development

john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:44 pm

Hey, that looks a lot like whats on Skyscrapercity :wink:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Remains of distillery

Postby TC1 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:41 pm

A view of site from other side of the Leven.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects