Tiger in the park!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tiger in the park!

Postby KonstantinL » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:15 pm

Does anyone know the story behind the tiger in Kelvingrove Park?

It looks like it's been sculpted from a dead tree, but it's been seemingly 'unfinished' for at least three years.

When it first appeared it was a 'standard' orange and black tiger but then at some point it changed to a 'white' tiger, but apart from that there seems to have been little progress on it and you'd assume at this point it's been forgotten about.

Anyone?
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:54 pm

no idea but i wish they'd burn it!
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:48 pm

yourebarred wrote:no idea but i wish they'd burn it!

Frankly amazed that somebody hasn't, though there is now CCTV in the park (appeared about the same time as the Skatepark, unsurprisingly) so perhaps not now...

The guy who does (did?) it, Phil, and his dog are well known regulars in Stravaigin. More info
(***PAT'S GUIDE TO THE WEST END WARNING***) here.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:15 pm

all i heard was that the guy(s) who used to live in the bushes on the steep hill in kelvingrove park did the thing asa project out of their own pockets. not sure how true that is but i know a "toff" who used to try and partonise the guys but apparently got talking to one of them who told his life story... as u can probably guess this means the story smacks of more than a slight element of "look how well i can get on with the commoners".. but would explain why it aint been finished yet. doesnt explain why the poor thing has a massive stake of wood stained red inserted somewhere that would be uncomfortable for a female tiger and more than a little intrusive for a male one.. anyone got the real untainted non student-wanker story?
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:04 pm

The story of the tiger added another chapter today.

I was down in the park at lunchtime and the guy (or a guy) was up on the rickety scaffolding chisellin and painting away with his trusty dog lying at the foot of the tiger. Meantime the police arrived and were trying to get him him to desist from his unauthoristed sculpture maintenance...

"Ah'm no comin' doon" Chip, chip, chisel, chip.

... by the time we left the park the dog squad were there.

Anyone see how this ended?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby George » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:24 pm

I read last week in the 'Glasgewian' newspaper, that it's 9 foot tail had been stolen and there was a reward offered.
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:27 pm

funny you mention the dog squad. They wherein cambuslang main street today, all covered in dust and had taken over the ATM at the SPAR and all seemed to be laughing at some in-joke.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:17 pm

Sharon wrote:The story of the tiger added another chapter today.

I was down in the park at lunchtime and the guy (or a guy) was up on the rickety scaffolding chisellin and painting away with his trusty dog lying at the foot of the tiger. Meantime the police arrived and were trying to get him him to desist from his unauthoristed sculpture maintenance...

"Ah'm no comin' doon" Chip, chip, chisel, chip.

Anyone see how this ended?

I passed about 2pm as he was having his picture taken and Plod were nearby. He soon came down after a hail of baton rounds and several litres of CS gas and a 'Tazer' for good measure*

Catman: harmless wood sculptor earlier today.

*theres every possibility that the above statement does not contain an ounce of truth whatsoever ! :twisted:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:21 pm

Sharon wrote:Meantime the police arrived and were trying to get him him to desist from his unauthoristed sculpture maintenance...

Meanwhile crime in other parts of the city continued with a frenzy due to the lack of police manpower.

A police spokeman said -"We have to prioritise and the tree sculptor was deemed a bigger menace to public safety than the madman with a knife who had hijacked the bus full of school weanz"

:roll:
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:28 pm

Come on Cap'n theres a bus thread on random distractions :wink:
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:23 pm

why were the police wanting to stop this guy working on his own sculpture? he also did the dolphin outside the Big Blue.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:58 pm

nice photo pgcc
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:21 pm

Tiger has gone. There was a wee piece in the Metro on Tuesday about Phil's protest. Apparently it was a "danger to public safety". Anyway, everybody rejoyce as it has been replaced by a funfair :roll:
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:01 pm

i don't understand why, if it wasn't safe, they didn't MAKE it safe, rather than chop it down...

Perhaps there was more money in having a funfair. :roll:
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:55 pm

I think it was to do with the vandalisim/ theft of the tail that made it unstable as this was one of the main supports, kinda tripod fashion. Remove one and it falls down!

A new bit of timber coulda done the trick without resorting to it's destruction! :evil:

It was obviously not in the interests of Land Services or whoever has the remit to maintain Parks and Recreation these days to retain it?!.

On the other hand, had the cooncil commissioned it from the public purse to the tune of several thousand ££££'s of our taxes it would have been a different matter of course. :?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects