How about the other wind power?
http://www.riverdeep.net/current/2002/0 ... ower.jhtml

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby mustardman » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:11 pm

Well, I have to say I'm for wind power. As an electrical engineer, I must admit that fossil fuels produce more energy, however, we must look forward to the future....they will run out eventually. During a recent visit to the Isle of Lewis, the proposed plans for a large scale wind farm has met much criticisim. I see their point, since Scotland's economy relies on the tourist industry and having these things 'blot' our landscape ain't to appealing in many senses.

AMEC wind energy are currently looking at the plan of offshore wind farms, based on old oil field sites. They are currently researching the Clare field at the moment, since there are links to the mainland through disused pipelines. However, I wonder what happened when railways were constructed during the 1800's, was there complaints to them 'blotting' the landscape or what about electricity pylons? We must admit that they do take up alot of view in some scenic spots. Maybe it's just me, but on the way up to Wick, I was quite amazed by the brilliance the turbines( THIS IS MY OPINION). There is alot of research going into this field at this moment in time
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:26 pm

I think one of the possible problems with wind power is simply the number of turbines needed to make a worthwhile contribution. I'm sure better current designs will have reduced the total number, but a few years ago I had a report that gave a figure of 25,000 25 m wind generators to replace the combined output of Hunterston and Torness, then rated at 2.4 GW combined net output. I believe this is about half of Scotland's electricity, but haven't confirmed this myself.

Not knocking them, just emphasising that they need to be seen as a part of the solution, not a solution in themselves.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby highlander » Wed May 04, 2005 11:05 pm

Don't know if anyone has answered the original question, indeed this topic is so old I can't see the picture.

Eaglesgam Wind Mills

There has been a test site on the Eaglesham moors for the last 20-25 years. About 6 years ago the test wind mills were taken down. Currently Scottish Power wishes to build about 120 turbines on the moors. So again the two current Windmills are test ones - they are slightly smaller than the ones that are going to be built and probably will be removed in the next few years.

I know one of the land owners up there, the land has no other use and wildlife will not be affected that much by the construction. There should also be a Wildlife center getting built as part of the project.

If anyone has any more Questions about this Site please ask me, and I'll attempt to find out.

Alistair
highlander
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alchemist » Thu May 19, 2005 1:18 pm

Ah, the windfarms are back in the news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4557255.stm
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu May 19, 2005 3:32 pm

Do all developers have the same oblivious mental attitude to wiping out whatever is in the way of their current pet project?

Reading these articles and seeing the comments made by the windfarm developer was practically the same as listening to to that latest Luxury Flat builder in Glasgow. Being able to say the windfarm is 'good for the environment' seems to be some sort of selective trigger phrase that they believe allows them to ride unchecked over any existing environment.
Councillor Angus Graham said: "I would be willing to sacrifice that pleasing landscape for the economic benefits that will come to these islands (though the good councillor did play the economy card).

"These islands have very little going for them currently economically, I think this is a golden opportunity."

But anti-wind farm campaigner Catriona Campbell branded the proposals environmental vandalism.

She said: "Blanket bog is as rare as the rainforest, rainforest is also remote and undeveloped - would people advocate cutting down the rainforest and putting a wind farm into it?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: winfarm locations

Postby War Baby » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 am

I think that if there are a few more disasters like the radiation leak from the Japanese power station, it might turn out that countries like USA may turn their backs on Nuclear Power Stations, and then all of a sudden the UK will be away ahead of everyone else.

The world is overcrowded and it's getting worse. I hate Wind Farms destroying the countryside (plus there was one erected in a graveyard recently!) ... but the point is that as the population increases the energy has to come from somewhere.

We have to have the foresight to protect the world from becoming contaminated by radiation.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: winfarm locations

Postby old jock » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 am

Sorry of its thread drift, but I question this mad dash towards wind. Maybe I'll get put straight here, but as I recall its where all the investment was biased when renewables were kicking off. A lot less went into tidal/wave which looked to me a better (but more expensive and we know dear baaaad; cheap gooood). We (well not personally I am paraphrasing here) know the phases of the moon and tides but we can't predict reliably when the wind will blow.

If governments are handing out cash incentives for one particular technology, companies are going to follow the cash and give government what they ask for, no matter how stupid.

I think they look bloody awful, they cannot produce when the wind doesn't blow or blows too hard, so all they are good for is as a top up source unless we start building massive pumped storage schemes or the like in order that the energy can be stored to be used when needed not just when the wind blows. I may be proved wrong but I can't ever see them as baseload source.

They are also bloody expensive and quite high maintenance cost, so although the wind costs nout the Elektrickery does.

Another thing nobody talks about is weather patterns, obviously not now but if we install these bloody eyesores on mega scale I wonder what effect it may have on weather (just a thought)?

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects