Irn Bru

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Josef » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm sure I remember hearing that they were allowed to bring barrels of one or more of the ingredients through customs unlabelled.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:07 pm

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Right, cut that out right now Scallop :evil: .

P.S. How did you manage to get it loaded anyway?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:14 pm

This is quite sad for me. The factory was built on the site of Malcolm Street where this photo of my dad and I was taken long ago.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... php?t=5499
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Mori » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:15 pm

BBC

Irn-Bru movie sales 'phenomenal'

Tickets for a movie based around adverts for the Irn-Bru soft drink have sold out less than 24 hours after going on sale.
The film, called Irn-Bru: Phenomenal Advertising, is being shown as part of the Edinburgh International Film Festival.

It depicts the drink's controversial commercials including "Christmas' Phenomenal Snowman".

A spokesman for the festival said one fan had even camped out to buy tickets
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mr. B » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Apollo wrote:Cumbernauld's been open for a few years now.

Plastic bottles vastly outnumber glass, but take more energy to produce. This is because they are one-time only, while the glass make multiple trips in their lifetime (afraid I forget the trip number now, think it was 6 or 14 :oops: ).

The can is recommended if you want the product sparkling as designed to be consumed, as both the glass and the plastic bottles lose gas during storage, so what you get from them is considered to be flat in comparison.

Cumbernauld's expanded and is now Barr's New HQ as they consolidated all their manufacturing plants at various locations to leave 3 main plants.

Mr. B
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Irn Bru

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:28 am

Sunday Herald

No new brew for Irn-Bru

FEARS THAT the maker of Irn-Bru would have to change its flagship drink's recipe have receded after an influential report dismissed a possible link between some ingredients and hyperactivity.
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) had examined the use of additives in soft drinks after a University of Southampton report published last year suggested a possible link between combinations of food colouring and the preservative sodium benzoate and hyperactivity in some children.
In December, AG Barr's head of marketing, Adrian Troy, told the Sunday Herald that the company would be prepared to make changes if they were demanded. There would have been similar pressure on soft drinks manufacturers across the industry had the EFSA found against them and banned the additives
But the EFSA has concluded: "In the context of the overall weight of evidence and in view of the considerable uncertainties, such as the lack of consistency and relative weakness of the effect and the absence of information on the clinical significance of the behavioral changes observed, the Panel concludes that the findings of the study cannot be used as a basis for altering the ADI of the respective food colours or sodium benzoate.
AG Barr, which is expected to release its latest financial results this week, said: "We are in agreement with the British Soft Drinks Association's response, which welcomes the report and the EFSA's conclusion that no changes are needed in the use of the ingredients examined in the Southampton university study."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Irn-Bru

Postby MAD » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:12 am

Hi

Was wondering if anyone had a picture of the old neon Irn-Bru sign that was on either Renfield St or Union St.

I was talking about it the other day and would love a pic of it.

Cheers
Dance! Dance! Dance!

FUNKTIFEYENO - Big Chill 2009 Mix
http://www.mediafire.com/?gtlye2ymm03
MAD
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Irn-Bru

Postby tedmaul » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:58 pm

This is just a picture from SCRAN -

A more modern version, from 1984 -

Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MAD » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Three 'classic's' on at the Odeon that night

Blue Thunder

Wargames

Breathless

ooft
Dance! Dance! Dance!

FUNKTIFEYENO - Big Chill 2009 Mix
http://www.mediafire.com/?gtlye2ymm03
MAD
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Yeah, I noticed the Odeon line-up too. SCRAN dates the picture as March 1984 but those films were all 1983 releases. Were they so popular they were still running six months later? Who knows.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr moto » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:30 pm

i have also been looking for pictures of that old sign, the one with the boy wearing a turban , i cannot find one anywhere . :cry: :cry:
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:08 pm

mr moto wrote:i have also been looking for pictures of that old sign, the one with the boy wearing a turban , i cannot find one anywhere . :cry: :cry:

I was at school with the lad that modelled for the boy with the turban
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm

The Irn-Bru lad in the turban was called 'Ba Bru' or something very similar I think.

Maybe a search on that would produce some results?
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Ba Bru

Postby red_kola » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:45 pm

comedy racist mascot sadly just of out shot:

Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext