Glasgow Zoo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Zoo

Postby War Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:26 am

The lions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kibble2013 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:43 am

Hey everyone have absolutely loved this thread, its terrible to see the state of disrepair it has been allowed to become.

I'm part of a group who are about to approach GCC for all remaining land from the old Calderpark Zoo/Glasgow Zoo Park land to build a Dog Rescue Center and save the rest of it for a Nature Reserve.

Clean it up, keep the neds out, incorporate the history of the zoo and run a dog rescue are our goals with this land and we would be really grateful if you guys could sign our petition and 'like' us on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/CalderparkDogR ... dSanctuary

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/help ... lasgow-zoo

P.s. if those who posted pics (thread leader etc) could send me a PM or the group a messege on Facebook, we will credit you in all photographs of yours.

Thanks!
Kibble2013
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 pm

I wish you luck but I think you'll find GCC have other plans for the area. i.e. up market houses.

Anyway the Dog Trust is just along the road at Boghall and the SSPCA in the other direction along at Bothwell Bridge. How many dog rescue centres do we need?
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kibble2013 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Kibble2013 wrote:Hey everyone have absolutely loved this thread, its terrible to see the state of disrepair it has been allowed to become.

I'm part of a group who are about to approach GCC for all remaining land from the old Calderpark Zoo/Glasgow Zoo Park land to build a Dog Rescue Center and save the rest of it for a Nature Reserve.

Hey guys, thought I'd let this post know that we didn't get the land. In 2 days time, RSZZ are selling the remaining land to developers for their pension fund.
Kibble2013
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Icecube wrote:I wish you luck but I think you'll find GCC have other plans for the area. i.e. up market houses.

Anyway the Dog Trust is just along the road at Boghall and the SSPCA in the other direction along at Bothwell Bridge. How many dog rescue centres do we need?

Loads.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pointyears » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Site clearly being prepped for development now but one fact remains. Generations of ordinary people have memories and history in a place that once truly belonged to the people of Glasgow.

This carving up of Glasgow is a microcosmic example of the carved up Monopoly board the whole of Scotland has become. Independence is a dream and the coming referendum a pantomime on both sides.
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:41 am

Except it didn't belong to the people of Glasgow but the people of Lanarkshire who frequented and supported it as much as Glaswegians and in fact its financial survival was always helped by both hidden and open subsidies* from Lanarkshire county council up until 1975 when it fell into the clutches of Glasgow district council from whence it lasted less than 20 years.

* Refer county of Lanark minutes, Mitchell archives.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 am

From 1985 again, when the zoo was still looking good. ... The leopard prowling around its cage. I always felt sorry for the larger animals in the zoo. They needed to be free to roam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 am

Ostrich at zoo.jpg
The ostrich had more space than the leopard. I think there were two ostriches around 1985.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 am

Pelican.jpg
You would think the pelican would be able to escape over the low walls.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 am

Ring-Tailed Lemurs.jpg
The Ring-Tailed-Lemur was a larger animal than the darker lemurs in the next photo, and not half as lively.
Last edited by War Baby on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:00 am

Lemurs.jpg
These lemurs were great to watch. There were about half a dozen, and they were darting in and out of a hole in the wall, running after each other at a hundred miles an hour, as if they were playing tig. They were obviously enjoying themselves, and this was my favourite animal at the zoo.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects