Glasgow Zoo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Zoo

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:12 am

Was asked about the big white lion statues that used to sit at the entrance to Glasgow Zoo. These are, of course, well gone now, but I wondered of anyone had ever come across pics of them.

I can't find any references searching in here, so might it be proposed as a subject for a visit?

Having looked at the surrounding area recently, it has now grown a block of flats in one of the car parks, following the reclamation and development of some nearby land a few years ago.

It would seem to be a distinct possibility that the remaining land (if available) is likely to be grabbed by a developer and turned into houses too, wiping out whatever remains of the zoo.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:46 pm

I was at the zoo in the mid 70's and it was pretty grim even then. About 10 years later i had to go back as part of my work and one of the things i was given was an off season tour by one of the staff which included getting into the monkey house to help feed them. There was actually an inner cage within the cage. I was able to put my hands through the bars and hold hands with a small orangutang for a couple of minutes which was quite moving. Does anyone know anything about the history of the zoo, when it opened etc ?
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:58 pm

The background on Glasgow Zoo can be read about here: http://www.glasgowzoo.co.uk/articles/zo ... istory.php

I never made it along whilst it was open. I did however have a wee wander about after it closed down and was suprised to discover that many months after the zoo had closed its doors there were many animals still onsite. Including the tiger (whos name Ive forgotton yet again) but it was a little startling to have decided that it definately must have gone jusdging by the unkempt nature of its enclosure, to then peer into the gloom of the tiger house only to come eyeball to eyeball with a bloody great tiger!!

Many months more after this - the gates are often lying open and there is never any signs of sentient human life in the place - we wandered in one more to discover much to our dismay that there were STILL animals onsite nearly a year after closure. The tiger was gone, but there were horses, goats, sheep and llamas all still there. Many of the sheep and horses were roaming free. Perhaps to give them a chance to escape from the other local wild life which roams the area - neds.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby johnnyanglia » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Sharon :)
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:50 pm

Thanks for the info folks.

Depressing story though, as I'm sure the local rag reported that all the animals were found homes after the closure was finalised. Prior to the closure, there were local campaigns raising thousands to support the zoo, but at the same time the animal rights brigade were continually taking the zoo to court, no doubt absorbing these funds to the detriment of the animals they were supposedly 'helping'.

The gates are currently locked, but they're not particularly substantial and the neds are basically pulling them apart by the welds.

From your account, and considering the way the council treats its buildings, I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the zoo and then had security march the redundant staff off the premises the same day :evil:

The history is interesting though, even if the council neglected to add any detail about the closure.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:13 pm

Sharon wrote: Including the tiger (whos name Ive forgotton yet again)

Adimula
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:33 pm

duncan wrote:
Sharon wrote: Including the tiger (whos name Ive forgotton yet again)

Adimula

Cheers Duncan. I have a real problem with recalling detail....
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:56 pm

That's a coincidence :)

Quote from the Glasgow Zoo link that was posted above: "the Adimula Tiger Den".
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DasGutHerrDoktor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:16 pm

Is this one of the lions you mean ?
DasGutHerrDoktor
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

Thans. Certainly looks like it. I'll post a link to the original questioner and see.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:34 pm

The zoo used to allow a Sunday market to operate nearby. This moved from the car park, to the upper car park (now luxury flats) to the waste ground at the rear, accesed by using the service road round the side of the zoo.

The gates are locked, so I wandered round the back, where the market used to be, to find that the diggers were in and laying drains etc. so it looks as if the development is underway.

Broomhouse Park lies to the side, so I wandered in there to have a look at the fence, which has 2 layers, but the neds have cut a nice access in at one end. They needn't have bothered, as the rear gate is lying open

Inside is a largely a disaster, the Tropical House is gutted:

Buildings smashed flattened or burned:

Though some survive:

As do some residents, the llama shares with others I couldn't quite recognise:

There's an enclosure near the front gate with a few Shetland ponies too.

I spotted the building below, which has at least one ostrich in the cage at centre:

However, discretion suggested I had found a good time to leave.

To the right of the building shown is a compound with an open door. While I was watching the ostrich I noticed 3 or 4 large furry animals running around. While I couldn't get a clear view when the passed the door, they didn't look like dogs. Alsatians would have been bad enough, but since I couldn't tell what they were (and they definetley were furry as in cuddly furry, I decided the visit was over and it was time to retreat to the rear gate, quietly.

The compound lies behind the caravan and yellow shop in the earlier pic. Someone must be looking after the remaining animals as they appear to be clean, fed, well and active.

Anyone got any info?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:22 am

great pics Apollo. Could the furries be bears?
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:50 pm

Those were the ones that turned out, it was incredibly dull and the rest were blurred. The visit wasn't planned and I only got them as I have a habit of carrying a camera.

I only got a glimpse of the furries, and the colour was like fox, but the size was like wolf. Whatever they were, even if if only a pack of dogs, I suspected that someone might be living in that area and they might not be friendly to uninvited guests. Either way, since the gate was partly open I reckoned the possible scenarios were getting chased by guard dogs, something wild (of which more than one), or somebody living down there. None of which seemed good.

I don't think your bear suggestion is at all wild. It would tie in with the colour and size I saw through the gap, and the way the fur flowed was just like I've seen when watching bears walking on all fours. Would also explain the legs, as they were fat and furry, not at all like a dog or wolf which are thin.

I think leaving when I did and not going deeper or attracting attention was the right move.

I'm going to try and contact the East End Independent who ran the local stories on the fight against closure, and see if they have further info. Might try a mail to the council too.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:59 pm

You should post these Apollo... On the other side. :wink:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:56 pm

turbozutek wrote:You should post these Apollo... On the other side. :wink:
Chris...

Brain's stopped working, probably in denial about maybe coming face to face with an unrestrained bear, a seriously hazardous hobby 8O

The other side?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects