A Street Under Argyle Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: A Street Under Argyle Street

Postby Mori » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:45 am

Hi white rabbit, welcome to the Forum, loved your last post especialy,

I've got a spade, anyone feel like joining me? Which end do you want to start from?

To further elaborate on life hidden beneath our feet i came accross this webpage on Wikipedia Verreville Glass and Pottery Works, Glasgow

Someone should call in the time team to investigate this (myth) in Argyle st :D

PS:its not Argyle St, we are all looking in the wrong place. (fossil says) 8)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the white rabbit » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Tried to do a fossil search found 5890 posts running to 388 pages. Could you tell me where fossil says to look, or give me a link so i can read it myself? It's not the central station one is it?
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm

the white rabbit wrote:Tried to do a fossil search found 5890 posts running to 388 pages. Could you tell me where fossil says to look, or give me a link so i can read it myself? It's not the central station one is it?

I believe Mori is referring to a long-standing, and just as long entirely unsubstantiated, claim by my esteemed colleague that "we're all looking in the wrong place".

I daresay you'll know as soon as we do, but holding your breath may be inadvisable.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi WR , sorry for misleading, as Josef says it was general chit chat and i doubt you will find that post as this thread was recently edited by the mods to keep it on topic... no doubt if there is any evidence in the street you will probably hear it here 1st. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Josef wrote:I believe Mori is referring to a long-standing, and just as long entirely unsubstantiated, claim by my esteemed colleague that "we're all looking in the wrong place".

Could a possible for this mysterious location be around the area of the original WEWW premesis, where Argyle Street and York Street intersect? I have heard stuff about a cobbled street (or part of) below ground level at that location, which was accessible from the basement of the store.

I'm not talking gas street lamps and old toy shops down there.
Just some sort of significantly sized cobbled area which could be "a street" if enough imagination was used.

That's what I heard anyway.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the white rabbit » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:18 pm

what's weww? sorry don't know what it is.
Thought i'd virtual mitchell that argyll/york street junction. Google street viewed it first to find street numbers. Then mitchell. The mitchell numbers are different to present nos. Does anyone know if the streets were renumbered at any time?
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:33 pm

the white rabbit wrote:what's weww?

What Every Woman Wants

the white rabbit wrote:Does anyone know if the streets were renumbered at any time?

Yes. When large stores were sub-divided into smaller units they would be given different numbers.
dazza
-
-

Postby Mori » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:36 pm

the white rabbit wrote:what's weww?

The buiding that once housed the 'What Every Woman Wants' company
Image from Flikr by Robert Pool. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the white rabbit » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks and god you lot are quick!
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:36 pm

If that`s the WEWW on Argyle St then it may not be long till we find out as the Pawnbroker ( Robert Biggar) is in the process of moving across the road beside the Sir John Moore pub and the site will be developed, hopefully from my POV it will be demolition and with a bit of luck I will be there :P
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby krisglasgow » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 am

Hi been reading the boards for years now but have never posted.

In WEWW you used to go into the basement toy department and there was another set of stares that took you up and out across the road at what every man wants.

I was very young but used to find it amazing.
krisglasgow
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby monkey6 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:16 am

Re my previous post about Saxone:
Maybe some interested member could go to the shop now occupying the old Saxone Shop in Argyle Street (is it now Clintons ?) and ask the manager about the (sub) basement? It could still be there!

I remember the WEWW shops well, they started out on the north side of Argyle Street with the shop that had a basement for 2 entrances. So you went in the right hand door down to the basement and back up to another ground floor that had an upper floor too. The basement usually smelled of dampness. They ultimately also occupied the shop across the road which was huge. They branched out all over and normally had large department type stores. The owners sold out and bought the old Goldbergs in Candleriggs but it sadly didnt work out. They were originally known for their cheap (often seconds with labels cut from Topshop, DP's etc.) high fashion clothes.

I had the pleasure of working for Goldbergs (best company I ever worked for) and can confirm there was NO hidden basement or doors etc. (that I ever saw) in the Trongate store which is now a sports shop(formerly Wrygges and Virgo).
monkey6
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby the white rabbit » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:20 am

with malcom maclaren dieing the other week it reminded me of where one of the rumours of londons underground streets came from. "the Ghosts of London" was a made by him. it featured a lost street underground. interviews at the time had one of the actors telling the world how they accessed it through Selfridges.

I spend hours looking for it. Never did find it there! Selfridges are also on the record as saying they have no record of it and staff members have also looked for it and never found it including quite snior members (access all areas)

the film is available on 4oD if anyones interested
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Buzby » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Regarding WEWW's shop - I recall being there for the opening - it shared a HALF unit on the northside pf Argyle Street (the other half was an Autio & HiFi Shop calleed 'RSC' (which was my primary interest), as this was their original outlet, before opening a second shop in Sauchiehall Street. This would be around 1962-64 or so. The basement of WEWW was indeed quite large as it also went under RSC, however, it could never have connected with the building on the south side of the street (if this was what was being suggested) - primarily sue to the fact that the Glasgow Central Low Level ran directly under the street (and still does, today, as the 'Argyle Line').

I think the prospect of a 'street' being in this location as highly suspect. I do recall many Glasgow buildings having access points for carts to enter off the street into the building itself, and these were always cobbled. When the doors/gates were bricked off to close access, the cobbles within still remained, so this might have led to the suggestion....
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mrbongo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 am

As a Fossil once said - we're looking in the wrong street(s).
mrbongo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects