A Street Under Argyle Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: A Street Under Argyle Street

Postby dazza » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:19 pm

EastEnd Guy wrote:there is or was tunnels that ran from the argyle street line train tunnels at trongate up and under what use to be goldbergs and went to the old sherrif court , there is an entrance at shipka pass head along towards argyle street station and a tunnel juts off from it , stores used rooms under street level as store rooms , there was even doors in to the store rooms from the tunnel

Deep under Goldbergs (sub-basement) were a warren of tunnels/passageways...

...but certainly nothing leading to the rail line. Funnily enough.

At basement level there were doors leading to neighbouring businesses

dazza
-
-

Postby dazza » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:11 pm

More dates for Central station tours...

Great news folks we have permission to release further dates for the Glasgow Central station Tours . The dates will run during the period March 1 – June 31 2015.
The new dates will be released for you to book the tours from 09:00am onwards on Monday 23 Feb.
PLEASE NOTE: These tours are the standard Introductory tours and do not include access down on to the Victorian Platforms or the Broomielaw Tunnel Tours that are still under development
dazza
-
-

Postby Anorak » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:24 am

I've added a view of the future site of Central Station taken from a window of the Railway Hotel at Bridge Street. It was taken from around the same position as a slightly later photograph which shows the newly erected railway bridge across the Clyde. The earlier photograph shows the multi-storey warehouses of Grahamston which were demolished to make way for the station.
Both pictures are included in my http://www.scotcities.com/railways/bridgest.htm webpage, which attempts to cover the history of the various versions of Bridge Street Station.

Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Anorak » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:36 pm

The resolution of the earlier photograph was high enough for me to zoom in and have a look at the buildings on the riverside that disappeared under the rail track and those that survived. The corner block at Broomielaw and Jamaica Street, which would later become Paisley’s store, was occupied by J. & W.C. Thomson, Clothiers . The fate of the two nearby taverns varied – the Lord Byron Hotel remained, with the building being replaced with a multi-storey block before World War I. The Glasgow Bridge Hotel and Tavern was a casualty of the railway development and was demolished.

Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Anorak » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:17 pm

The old building occupied by the Lord Byron Hotel did not survive for long after the railway development of 1879. It was replaced in 1883 by a multi-storey warehouse that wouldn’t have looked out of place round the corner among the stylish blocks in Jamaica Street, which are featured at http://www.scotcities.com/warehouses.htm. This new block was designed by Alexander Skirving, who had been an assistant to Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson prior to his death in 1875. It was built for Peter Paisley, Draper, who had taken over the corner building from J. & W.C. Thomson in 1882. Paisley’s had a well known sign advertising themselves as “Foreign & Colonial Outfitters”.

Skirving’s 1883 warehouse stood next to the approaches to Central Station until around 1990, when it was demolished in the name of progress.

Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Anorak » Mon May 28, 2018 9:06 pm

The site of the old Lord Byron Hotel is now occupied by Jury's Inn. Lots of ideal bedrooms for trainspotters! This view shows the surviving warehouses of Jamaica Street as well as Argyle Street at the top where Grahamston would have been situated at the northern side of the junction.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ShakespearesBottles1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi To All From ShakespearesBottles1 Believe it or Not at one time in Glasgows History there was a hidden Glasgow street. For Many Years I have been detecting all over Glasgow from Victorian bottle dumps to searching rivers lochs I have amassed a huge collection of Victorian & earlier Glasgow items also Edinburgh items from the old town going back to the 15th century. Some very rare bottles glass & stoneware.
I would like to find like minded people to join me in The Search for Scottish & Glasgow items as I am going to open a large Glasgow Museum larger than The kelvingrove Museum soon to house my Collection & other like minded Collectors all are invited to get in touch with me by email [email protected] My quest goes on & on .
ShakespearesBottles1
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects