A Street Under Argyle Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby bigross » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:26 pm

Have you been under the station? I would like to do this sometime. What exactly is down there?
bigross
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Flyingscot » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:37 pm

glasgowken wrote:I think it's because the line & station is directly under the open street and close to the surface.
As it's an island platform the exit has to go down and under the track before going to one side & heading up.

I hope that doesn't spoil scotia's research :?

Yep, I have a book which comfirmes that a 'lack of space' and it's location near street level is the reason.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:11 pm

bigross wrote:Have you been under the station? I would like to do this sometime. What exactly is down there?

From the big gates in Union St (near to Gregg's) it's a rabbit warren of corridors and roadways which come out in Hope St where Red Star Parcels used to be (near Oddbins). Basically there's a lot of arches and rooms which have been customised. In more modern times the Central station staff have had their mess room down there, in the days when all transactions were in cash and a lot of the staff were paid in cash there was a secure cash centre. More recently there were training rooms. All the rubbish collected from the trains is disposed of in a big shredder down there.

The other connection, apart from Union St to Hope St is that you can go up to the back of the gent's toilet and go through a corridor which leads you into what was the ladies toilets over near to Superdrug and the other shops on the west side of the station. Which means you nave crossed the concourse.

Another 'hidden' part of the station is in that big arch with Central Station written on it at the top of 12 & 13. There's a flight of stairs inside that!

This famous picture of the station being built in 1878 shows that there's no way Alston St would've survived.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:51 pm

Flyingscot wrote:
glasgowken wrote:I think it's because the line & station is directly under the open street and close to the surface.
As it's an island platform the exit has to go down and under the track before going to one side & heading up.

I hope that doesn't spoil scotia's research :?

Yep, I have a book which comfirmes that a 'lack of space' and it's location near street level is the reason.

It's amazing how close the Argyle Line is to street level.

On the 'Glasgow Underground' DVD, there's a snippet of late 1970's footage showing Argyle St dug up, and the 'cut & cover' tunnel girders being replaced over the Argyle Line.
(2 still captures from the DVD, outside Lewis's. The original film is a bit blurry, so don't blame me :) )

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:15 am

Excellent pictures. I'd assume that the girders were replaced as the tunnel
where the station now is would've needed widened to add in the island platform.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:21 am

Yes, a lot of the original girders also needed replacing along it's length as they had rotted. The replacement (in the 2nd pic) looks like reinforced concrete.

Hope they last a bit longer :D

It's actually quite hair raising to see how thin the road is under that digger 8O
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:19 am

Modern Fossil wrote:I’ve heard there is inspection hatches under Debenhams (Lewis) Building for flood control. used to smell quite damp in the basement(job interview years ago was told when its high tide water does come up that far). Does anyone know how many basements are in that building. I’m guessing 1( that’s in use) plus a further sub.
Does anyone know someone who work/works in top shop hmv virgin Lewis to shed some light.

My Dad told me about the sub basement under the basement in Lewis's. He said there was a pump working there 24 hours a day, every day, to keep the Clyde at bay. He also talked about a street under the Arcade/Argyle Street. He is unfortunately no longer with us so I can't quiz him on it now.
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:12 am

Coming in on the bus this morning I noticed two arches are exposed under the road where they're working on the west side of Hope Street. Must be basements going under the road from the red sandstone building that has just been modernised.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:52 pm

Sometimes when the escalators are shut for repairs, they open the other entrance / exit.
Entrance:

First flight:

Second flight, leading to third:

Pretty damp down there:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:13 am

Noticed the other way down to platforms at argyle street today, not wrong about the damp, its wet as hell down there
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:57 pm

stranger wrote:glasgow cross station was an island platform
the entrance was facing the old crazy house
you went down a wide straight staircase to the platform part of which
was under the open triangle which is now covered by the steel grates
the ornamental pillar was probably a roof support on the platform
i think central low level has them too
i may have a photo of gc station will try to find it
also i seem to remember an air shaft next to the station
coming up in the courtyard of the tron theatre anyone confirm this?
I wonder if they'd ever consider opening glasgow cross station again or is it concidered too close to Argyle Street Station?
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:05 pm

I think Argyle Street was considered a better idea. Argyle St station didn't exist
before 1979.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deevlash » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:11 pm

I used to work for tesco on argyle street and theres an interesting thing underneath that building. If you go down the stairs at the rear (staff only) then theres a door on the 1st landing on your right. If you enter this theres a tunnel leading forward then a dead end to the right and a 20 foot long tunnel to the left. If you follw the tunnel to the left theres a small room with a roughly 10'x10' hole which goes down about 40' and has water sitting at the bottom with some pumping gear. I think its an overflow for the sewage system in glasgow. Also that building has a perfectly preserved canteen on the 1st floor from the days when it was a john menzies/woolworths.
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bigdavevw » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:54 pm

i work in the arches cafe bar. ive heard some interesting stories about whats under there.
"aparently" there is a hatch in the arches which takes yuou to the old streets of grahamston.
There is a secretish corridor that runs behind the kitchen that not many people in there know about.
There is another not so well know arch accessable from the office which leads to an arch filled with water troughs that catch the drips from central station bridge.
There is meant to be a small hatch that takes you right underground then along a small narrow winding corridor which takes you to a door, the door takes you on to the low level tracks.

Under the nightclub is MASSIVE, its like a maze, some of the stories will be nonsense but i belive that there is stuff under there most people dont know about.

i shall be asking if i can have a look at these places.

dave
a weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend
bigdavevw
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:00 pm

bigdavevw wrote:i shall be asking if i can have a look at these places.

Obviously you meant 'we' there, Dave :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects