A Street Under Argyle Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: A Street Under Argyle Street

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Surfer Rosa wrote:
dazzababes wrote:But please... use a bit of common sense.

Just a bit of fun surely? Or does it not meet your 'aspirations to academia'.
Pff.

As an academic acquaintance of mine once said, piss off.

dazzababes wrote:Image

Now that's an interesting shot. Would there be one of those glass grille things covering it by any chance?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby mrbongo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Aye, have seen those shots before...but i bet there's a lot more under that big old building than that. :)
mrbongo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Now that's an interesting shot. Would there be one of those glass grille things covering it by any chance?

Not that I can remember. If there were they're covered up now. It's a strange building on a steep gradient and, before additional building works led to them being bricked up, there were a couple of windows in the tunnel allowing natural light in. Obviously the purpose of the window in my photo was to spread the light further down the basement/tunnel.
dazza
-
-

Postby DickyHart » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:11 pm

DickyHart wrote:Ive already asked!!

you need to write to em, havent got round to it yet, ill get on it if no-one minds!!!

dicky

letter posted today
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gorevan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Excellent :) hopefully you get a reply as soon as :)
will deffo be up for that ^_^
nice one mate
This web site has been developed to record our local landmarks and to give a brief history on our old pubs. www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk
gorevan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DickyHart » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:33 am

got a reply today folks!! they will have a decision in the next few days. they haven't done these things for quite a while, and the fella is gonna check out the safety aspects etc. Keep yer fingers crossed!!
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gorevan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:32 pm

EXCELLENT! This would be awesome :)
fingers are crossed :)
This web site has been developed to record our local landmarks and to give a brief history on our old pubs. www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk
gorevan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DickyHart » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:40 pm

still no word yet!!
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Josef wrote:Don't talk shite. There's overwhelming evidence. Virtually everyone's got a pal whose uncle's mate was done there once.

:D
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:32 pm

finally got a reply!! a resounding GTF!! The usual health and safety waffle.

the fella was quite cheeky!! "central station is not a tourist attraction.....blah blah blah!!"

anyway, looks your "street" is going to have to stay hidden, even though there isnt one.

Dicky
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gorevan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:41 pm

What an ass! i agree its not a not a tourist attraction. But if people who are from Glasgow and would like to see it for history purposes that should be fine?
I say we break in :P take it by force :)
gorevan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fiddlestick » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:24 pm

dazzababes wrote:These are just the tip of the iceberg. I don't think there is a city or large town in the United Kingdom which doesn't have some fanciful tales of lost Victorian streets as related to a friend of an uncle's grandfather's brother-in-law's cousin who was "down there once in the 1960's" and "saw shop signs and windows".
It's just another common Urban Legend folks... nothing more.

I took this photo deep below the streets in Glasgow, but I can assure you it was never a shop:

I've been keeping an eye on this thread over the last few months, but finally got round to registering to respond to this.

I know for a fact that there is a hidden street (several infact) in Edinburgh and I *DON'T* mean Mary King's Close *OR* the caverns under South Bridge (still worth a look though). There is a closed and sealed church across from the Bank Hotel, where North Bridge/South Bridge intersects with the Royal Mile.

Once the building ceased being a church the floor was ripped up to reveal a lost and forgotton street along with shop/housing foundations. This is not an urban myth nor is it a second or third hand tale - I saw it with my own eyes when the building was opened to host an exibition a couple of summers ago. The cobbled street is remarkably well preserved and you could walk around it on a wooden walkway above the excavations. I've not seen the building opened since then and I think I've lost the photographs that I took, but I was able to find this online:

http://www.edinburgh-scotland.net/image ... Kirk04.jpg

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought this might appeal to people.

Oh and the Glasgow connection? I lived there for 20 years before emigrating eastward ;)
Fiddlestick
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Yep, absolutely correct. I believe one of the HG mods has also seen it with his own eyes.

It's just a foot or so of the original buildings above ground level left, though, isn't it?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:11 pm

I am that mod, and am happy to confirm that it's all true :)

It's a fascinating thing to go and see but sadly they've not opened the Tron Kirk much in the past couple of years. If memory serves it's the remains of the top end of Marlin's Wynd. I've got photos knocking about somewhere that I'll try to dig out. Some more here if you care to look through: Clicky
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby calamity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:11 pm

didnt they discover bones under a street in Leith recently while making the new tramcar route, it seems it was a 15th century church or graveyard..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects