Canniesburn(?) Hospital.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Canniesburn(?) Hospital.

Postby gordonjcp » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:17 pm

Just back from a long walk in Cairnhill woods, taking my girlfriend's dogs for a walk and "looking for my mate's dog" - he must have run off home without us...<p>
There seems to be a certain amount of tree-clearing and demolition going on up there just now. There is a security guard in a wee portakabin near the old entrance to the site, but I think he's more bothered about the JCBs than the building. We didn't speak to him, maybe we should have asked if he minded us having a look in the buildings.<p>
I might go back with cameras, a big torch, and a "wee something" for the security guard. What does anyone else think, worth a look?
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:23 pm

Flicking through the old posts, I came across this. Does anyone know for sure if it's empty? I have been in that quite a lot when it was in operation, it's huge.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:42 am

It's in the process of being turned into flats. They staggered the closing, I believe the cancer ward was the last to close

Stinkpad
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:00 pm

I think it was. In January/February 2002 my mother was a patient in there. There was also a lot of people who were having reconstructive plastic surgery. Some privately, some on the NHS.

I knew it was possibly closing shortly afterwards, but I had also heard that it might not be.

If it's a construction site, it might not be wise to go for a poke around. :<
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GoRdY_b » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:09 pm

I'm involved with Hospital radio and can confirm that Canniesburn has been off our list of hospitals served for over a year. There was even a cupboard there in which we stored some of our gear which has had to be cleared.
Hope is an indulgence for which I have little time.
GoRdY_b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Canniesburn(?) Hospital.

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:58 pm

gordonjcp wrote:There seems to be a certain amount of tree-clearing and demolition going on up there just now.

The tree-clearing was a contentious issue with the locals IIRC during the planning stage.
Funny how the trees strangely became dangerous and diseased all of a sudden and had to be felled :?: hmmm.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Canniesburn Hospital

Postby skintobalinto » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:53 pm

I remember being in this hospital for an operation on my eye in 1976 when I was 9. I was not allowed to keep any of the sweets or ginger that family and friends brought me, they had to be handed in to the nurses on the childrens ward before visiting. I thought this was a disaster at a time when everybody felt sorry for you and wanted to ply you with as much sweets and ginger as they possibly could, and I could not get my greedy little mits on any of it. One concession was a kids party after lunch.

All contraband was confiscated ie sneaked in mars bars etc all drawers were checked. I was told that this was because kids from childrens homes were regularly on the ward and did not have mums or dads to bring them sweeties - did not cut the mustard with me I thought the staff were eating them all - suspicious litter bugger I was.

Still emotionally scarred by this - I now hide my sweeties were no one finds them. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects