KRAZY HOUSE

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: KRAZY HOUSE

Postby DickyHart » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:34 pm

great to see this topic alive again!
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deebers » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:45 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/2305735094

Found this on Flickr! Totally brings back memories! It's a photo of the huge KRAZY HOUSE sign with the arrow on the old railway bridge.

Oh, and this link seems to be pretty valuable if it showed a clip of the Krazy House. Here is its description on Google:
Scottish Screen Archive - Full record for 'FILM OF GLASGOW
Description: Scenes of places, events and personalities around Glasgow ... Exterior of Krazy House building at Trongate (12.03); General shots of the ...
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 pm

thanks for that deebers,
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:35 pm

I think JamesMc was defiantly right, Krazy House must have got is inspiration from the 1938 Empire Exhibition exhibit. Thought I’d put the photo up rather than just a link, hope no one minds.
“This is not a distorted photograph. The Krazy House was one of the most popular attractions in the Amusement Park at the Empire Exhibition in 1938. The interior was just as unpredictable as the exterior, and included tilting floors which caused shrieks from women who found their skirts thrown over their heads.
The two laughing models above the entrance were responsible for some of the complaints about noise at the Exhibition. Throughout the summer they laughed their heads off - literally on one occasion, when the Laughing Sailor's head fell off his shoulders and injured a woman standing beneath the balcony. Reference: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)”

I know it’s not the same place but I came across this the other week in my wardrobe, no idea where I got it, but it must date from the early seventies. I wonder what item of clothing cost 3 1/2p? but I bet it wasn’t the height of fashion! Was it confirmed where Krazy Kuts was and does anyone have a picture?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:10 pm

It was maybe the hanger that cost 3 1/2 p
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:26 pm

If you look at page 2 you'll find a link to your Krazy house photo from the exhibition centre. An we've been lefyt hanging as to whether or not Krazy Kuts was on the same site as the Krazy house.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:52 pm

I can confirm that the 1st and original Krazy Kut grocers shop was on Dumbarton rd in partick, it was owned by my family in the early 70s i dont have any photos to prove it but i know cos i worked there for many a saturday afternoon while i was a boy. there were in the mid 70s other shops that stole the name but my family was the 1st, my dad used to say that our family had invented the cut price market in Glasgow :D as i said we were the originals but later on many used the same name all over the city to jump on the same success, my dad sold his share of the business in the early 80s so i dont know if the shop is called the same today havent passed by dumbarton road partick for many a year. :D

just thought i'd share that with you as i seen that price sticker which i cant remember as our logo as we never sold any clothes or hardware.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:57 am

Its_a_gamp wrote:It was maybe the hanger that cost 3 1/2 p

I had never considered that, you might be right but I rather like the idea of a 3 1/2p t shirt!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:27 pm

cell wrote:I rather like the idea of a 3 1/2p t shirt!

Come to the swally on Friday night, Fossil will no doubt be wearing one. :roll:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hoey St » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 am

Mori wrote:I can confirm that the 1st and original Krazy Kut grocers shop was on Dumbarton rd in partick, it was owned by my family in the early 70s i dont have any photos to prove it but i know cos i worked there for many a saturday afternoon while i was a boy. there were in the mid 70s other shops that stole the name but my family was the 1st, my dad used to say that our family had invented the cut price market in Glasgow :D as i said we were the originals but later on many used the same name all over the city to jump on the same success, my dad sold his share of the business in the early 80s so i dont know if the shop is called the same today havent passed by dumbarton road partick for many a year. :D

just thought i'd share that with you as i seen that price sticker which i cant remember as our logo as we never sold any clothes or hardware.

I recall a Krazy Kuts on Crookston Road close to the junction with Paisley Rd West in the seventies.
Hoey St
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mags marshall » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 am

I can confirm there were dancers in Krazy House as I was one of them.I danced there for about a year and a half from 1974.There were 6 dancers and I'm pretty sure Tiger Tim was the dj sometimes.Great days!
mags marshall
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 pm

mags marshall wrote:I can confirm there were dancers in Krazy House as I was one of them.I danced there for about a year and a half from 1974.There were 6 dancers and I'm pretty sure Tiger Tim was the dj sometimes.Great days!

Evidence please.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tricky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:00 am

DickyHart wrote:i rememember being taken as a child into here at glasgow cross, the london road side if memory serves, the place was amazing, does anyone know what happened to the exhibits in there? i think the room that it used still exist above the furntiure shop that is in the building now. On the railway bridge there used to be a huge sign pointing to it.

I was in it once. Must've been the tail end of the 70s when Golumb's the music shop was still on the Saltmarket. IIRC Krazy House was in the Mercat Building, now a furniture shop called the Living Room (Alexander International) on the coffin end between London Rd and Gallowgate.

http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/jpgs/london_road_building_aw403.jpg
tricky
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby pitstop » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 pm

If anyone knows the whereabouts of any of the model soldiers in the Krazy House, I would be interested as it was my husband that made and painted them for Alex Duman back in the 1970's.
pitstop
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DickyHart » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:43 pm

its seems a bit of a mystery where any of the items are.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects